What ever happened to RESPECT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Locked:
I feel it all boils down to the loss of the close family unit, schools and loss of religion, belief if you will!

Landlocked, none of my following comments are aimed at you directly.

You make good points, but like I said before....religion isn't the answer for most people. It's a crutch....I've seen it time and again: The poorer, "less fortunate" (and often lazier) portions of society turn to religion as a way to seek answers as to why they are not living the live of luxury and to place the blame somewhere other than on their own shoulder. Most religious groups have become just as corrupt as any other sector of modern life. You need look no further than the priest sex abuse scandals, Jim Baker and his lot, etc to see the evidence of this. People feel they can buy salvation through their checking accounts.

Most people who take to the church to strengthen their families often end up driving their children away from the church because they force it down their throats. Ever wonder why the preacher's kids are usually buck wild once they hit high school? You try living in a repressive household for 16 years....

Religion is the answer for a small minority cases, mainly because people don't seem to grasp the main point: it's how you live your life, not how you spend your Sundays. And you don't need to go to church to lead a good and honest life and to raise well-mannered, responsible children (you just have to put some effort into it). But that's just my humble opinion....It's no skin off my back if you choose not to listen to me.....that's your right.

-Steve

medic_diver45:
Landlocked, none of my following comments are aimed at you directly.

I'm glad too see we are like minded individuals. I did not take your comments personal. I'm am not a bible thumping radical. I was was raised in a church going family but it was not a requirement to attend evey Sunday. I do not attend church now. You can usually find me on a quarry dive Sundays. I do believe that the basic tennants that were taught to me as a child reflect on the individual I am today. My main point is I was raised in a close family, we went places and we did things together. Camping, fishing, rafting, school sports and we ate dinner as a family unit. My parents were involved with my developement and my schools taught basic education not some underwater basket weaving course. I still have my basic beliefs, and I learned from my brothers, religion and politics are best left at the door.

You have a healthy outlook on things.....

I have had a blessed life. I feel I have learned a few things.
Number one is that Life goes on. Number 2 is that everything is going to be ok.

Religion is an exercise in methodolgy to gain practice towards a higher goal which is knowledge. Sort of like push ups. And any exercise has its good and bad points.

Its funny how some of the most fervent believers in a higher power are physicist. You see they worked it out. Did the math.

We are all in this together. Much of what is happening today has been written in too many ecumenical texts to mention. The key is to remember the bottom line.

Life goes on, and everthing is going to be ok. Hell will rear its head, but thats part of the game. :wink:

In all honesty, I have to agree with a lot of what everyone has said. It's hard to point out where our society broke down, or for that matter, who's to blame. Some will say the politicians, others will say the church, and some will point the finger at the lawyers.

I believe it's better to teach our kids about spirituality and the value of harnessing the meaning of a spiritual relationship, rather than shoving religion down their throats. I know; I was a P.K., and not until I studied theology and religious phylosophy did I learn that religion is as crooked as Forest Gump's back. Moreover, I believe that the old adage of "spare the rod, spoil the child" remains true today.

As a parent I have to consider that society now-a-days operates under the belief that we are guilty until proven innocent. In other words, if a little girl is molested and some time passes before it is discovered, who do you believe will be among the suspects? That's right, the father. Now, is that just sick, or is it a product of the just paying the price for the actions of the unjust? Who knows, but the fact that my 14 yr old can call the police and accuse me of child abuse if I so much as attempt to instill some sort of discipline using the proverbial "rod," is cripling to parental authority, and probably the reason why if children can disrespect their parents by threat, think of how much respect they will have for any of their elders.

This thread is a good example that one can discuss religion or politics, have differing opinions and still respect the beliefs and values of others with different opinions. If all threads on these subjects were as civil, there would be no need for the rules.

Dr. Bill

You know, SCUBA is one of the best ways to teach kids respect, and responsibily.
OOA at 30' can get you in the mood!

Dr Bill,

I think the "no religion or politics" thing is more or less against "X Politician is a jerk because" or "I don't like Y country because" and "If you don't believe Z, you are going to hell"

I think the philosophical discussion we've been having is entirely above board.

Okay... now from the wicked schoolteacher's perspective:

Respect is a funny thing. Children come to me from all different types of homes: consistent, stable, broken, split, running from the law, loving, dangerous, happy, faithful, and those where everything is a lie. Some come to us with pain that we cannot fathom, and others have very little stress or unhappiness. For some of them, school is the best place in their lives. For those, it is the only stable place they have, free of a never ending stream of new "uncles" or changing places of residence.

We hug them, clean them, patch them, clothe them, feed them, pay for their field trips, reward them, watch for signs of mental stress/illness/abuse/learning disabilities, make sure their belly buttons aren't showing, and occasionally we even TEACH them.

Blame someone for lack of respect if you will... but don't blame the schools- believe it or not, we are not all the blood-sucking ogres that we are made out to be. (Yes, I know that there are bad apples in education, just as all professions.) The schools are the ones who have to deal with the lack of respect that they have been taught in the homes. Most teachers joined the profession because they have a genuine caring and love for the future generations. I guess the others joined due to the great financial rewards. :) (Almost snorted my milk through my nose)

Perhaps if so many kids didn't see their parents/guardians cheating on their taxes, screaming at other drivers, beating each other up, pushing to be first in line, berating each other, using this phrase: "what is that crazy teacher THINKING!", or "that stupid president of ours", or perhaps this one, "all that preacher wants is money", there would be a modicum of respect left for them to mimic.

Just a tirade from a schoolteacher who is tired of feeling the brunt of the blame for the ills of society. Children are a product of the homes, first. Responsibility for teaching respect begins at a very young age, and really continues for a lifetime. Hopefully, families will teach a strong basis of caring and loving, FIRST. That's where it all begins.

Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom