What ever happened to RESPECT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to reply to something which woke me up in the middle of the night last night...
One of the posts on here highlighted an analogy frequently used by Christian evangelists to try to explain their belief that they need to “shout” at an unbelieving world. It is of course the “burning house” analogy. “If your house was on fire, wouldn’t you want me to wake you up and warn you with as much fervor as I could? Since you are on your way to hell if you don’t change your path…I am going to continue screaming out warnings.”

This analogy has always really bothered me…from a personal standpoint, I believe that God is the one who calls out to us, not with a screaming of eternal torment, but with the soft voice of one who loves us. I also look at Jesus and Paul’s methods and simply don’t see this track lining-up with what they taught. Therefore, the insistence of some that they need to proceed with “fire and brimstone” just strikes me as a very “Man driven” methodology.

From an analogy standpoint, it also strikes me as a really bad comparison. I actually woke-up at 4:00 AM with a really clear understanding of how it’s wrong. My house isn’t currently “on-fire”, I am in no danger at all currently but…you believe that you have received a message that my house WILL burn down. So you are basically pounding on my door screaming “your house is on fire and you are going to die” when there are no flames and smoke to be seen. Instead, you perhaps could mention to me in more general neighbor to neighbor conversation that you’ve looked at my house and there are a few “code violations” which perhaps could be upgraded to better protect me. How do you know that I don’t have a guy coming to install sprinklers next week?

See what I mean? There is a difference between waking someone up with visions of what “could” happen and waking someone up at the minute before they die.

The God I believe in stands at the door and knocks…He is a patient God, and He is the one who called me…not some dude screaming judgement and damnation

Green:

You can believe anything you want. Your beliefs don't threaten mine.

It has been stated several times by those who claim to be Christians and those who do not, that some still do not understand why this is such an important issue.

I'll post it again, this time in caps for emphasis not anger because I am not angry with any of you :)

IF THE CREATION ACCOUNT IS NOT TRUE, THE ENTIRE CHRISTIAN FAITH IS A HOAX. DEATH, THAT IS ANY DEATH OF ANY ANIMAL IS NOT POSSIBLE BEFORE ADAM SINNED. IF IT DID, THE MESSAGE OF REDEMPTION FROM SIN IS MEANINGLESS. CHRISTIANITY IS NOT RECONCILABLE WITH EVOLUTION. WHY DO YOU THINK THE DEVIL INTRODUCED THE CONCEPT OF EVOLUTION IN THE BOOK OF GENESIS.

Whew, that should bring in a few more attacks, :p

TheDivingPreacher:
IF THE CREATION ACCOUNT IS NOT TRUE, THE ENTIRE CHRISTIAN FAITH IS A HOAX.

this is only true if you believe the Bible is 100% literal.

if you don't believe the Bible is 100% literal, then there
really is no conflict between Christianity and science.

bwerb:
This analogy has always really bothered me…
It bothered me too. Well said, Brian.

bwerb:
I just wanted to reply to something which woke me up in the middle of the night last night...
One of the posts on here highlighted an analogy frequently used by Christian evangelists to try to explain their belief that they need to “shout” at an unbelieving world. It is of course the “burning house” analogy. “If your house was on fire, wouldn’t you want me to wake you up and warn you with as much fervor as I could? Since you are on your way to hell if you don’t change your path…I am going to continue
screaming out warnings.”

My house isn’t currently “on-fire”, I am in no danger at all currently

Really, what makes you think you will make it till dinner tonight? What makes you think you have more than another breath. The analogy is right on the money.

H2Andy:
this is only true if you believe the Bible is 100% literal.

if you don't believe the Bible is 100% literal, then there
really is no conflict between Christianity and science.

I agree o great one, if Jesus is not God, if the world was not created by Him, if we are not really condemned to judgment, if the Bible is only a book like any other, if Christianity is only a moral compass and a crutch for the weak, then there is no conflict.
And.....if a frog had a tail he wouldn't bump his rearend when he hopped.

TheDivingPreacher:
WHY DO YOU THINK THE DEVIL INTRODUCED THE CONCEPT OF EVOLUTION IN THE BOOK OF GENESIS.

Explain?

I agree o great one

man, talk about testy :wink:

you can still believe that Jesus is God, and that without Jesus, there is no
salvation. Those things science can neither prove nor disprove.

however, if you believe that the Earth is 6000 years old, and that Adam and Eve
really existed and were the forebears of all humanity, and that the Tower
of Babel really happened, then you are in conflict with science.

however, in my limited knowledge, i think i understand the "meaning" of these stories, and they make sense to me. just not if you insist that they must be taken literally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom