DIR- GUE What does GUE mindset mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry English is not my first language and when I read many things here, I google or software translate sometimes. Certain things are easy to understand while others need more explaining. I want to understand better, what is the meaning of "GUE mindset." I have seen this word here and I have dive buddies who talk that word too but I want to fully understand what is that? When instructors are looking at students then how do they determine "mind?" You only see actions and evaluate them objectively but what is GUE mindset?

I agree with GUE training but I agree AFTER speaking to GUE divers and reading materials and watching videos. How can I have that "mindset" BEFORE coming into training? Thanks.

If you're intersted in it and don't wanna take a class you can read that fundi book.

Let's start with the basics - the word "mindset" describes the way someone thinks, their attitude and habits towards a certain topic.
In the context of your question, when we talk about "mindset" in diving, we talk about how the person thinks about diving in general - not if they like it or not, but how they think WHEN they are diving.

As far as a GUE mindset, I think @crofrog described it pretty well:
  • Safety conscious
  • Procedural
  • Team oriented
It means that a GUE diver would put more emphasis on team diving, clear procedures and high regard to safety.
I would add that they would also be environmentally conscious, and have a will to keep learning and improving their diving techniques.

The most important underlying tenet is diving as a team is safer than diving alone. Everything in GUE is based on the idea of a cohesive team, to the point you can walk up to any dive site and find another diver with the same certifications and you can do a dive together very easily because you're trained the same way. Beyond that are all of the finer points which get you to a cohesive, safe team (i.e. gear matching, same predive checklists, same response to an emergency).

I agree that "team" diving may be the most important tenet. I'm sure most tech divers and many rec-only divers fit @crofrog 's description of "safety-conscious" and "procedural," but plenty of divers are not team-oriented. Some dive solo.

Listed in the GUE Standards as a general diving standard:

1.4 (d) Team diving: GUE’s diving philosophy is based on a team approach. Divers must plan all
diving activities as a team and must remain aware of team member location and safety
at all times.

And a required skill for passing Fundies is:

2.2.1.8 (b) Demonstrate awareness of team member location and a concern for safety, responding
quickly to visual indications and dive partner needs.

I think the OP was confused by the term "mindset." The only "mindset" a person needs to have "BEFORE coming into training," as the OP stated, is to come to the class with an open mind. Be receptive to the possibility of learning to do some things a different way than you may be accustomed to.

TEAM diving with consistency in:

training
gear configuration
procedures

There's a lot of value there that other agencies do not emphasize to the same extent. I am not a GUE diehard but I value that standardization a lot and incorporate it as much as I can (I've only done fundies but my mentors were all GUE.) I've never once said to myself, " oh **** I have to dive with that GUE guy." Just the opposite, on the few occasions I've had an insta-buddy who had had GUE training, I was relieved.

That's my .02 psi, take it for what it's worth.

Team diving, meaning follow the rules, don't question the rules, the rules are rules because someone else smarter than you made the rules.
There is only one right way and that is the mindset.
Go Team.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom