RAID vs SDI vs GUE vs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm an Advanced OWD + Nitrox looking to advance even more. I am working towards diving longer (meaning deco dives, longer bottom times to enjoy marine life and wrecks more - not necessarily setting a record for depth, though). In terms of certifications, this means Advanced Nitrox, Deco diving, Wreck, and other specialties. But first, I think, it means: getting the fundamentals right (kicks, trim, breathing, buoyancy, gear configurations maybe).

In the Netherlands, there are some instructors/courses under RAID, SDI, GUE, PADI and SSI. I know the PADI model, I understand the SSI model, I have a picture of the GUE doctrine (not a nice word, but that's the impression I get of it). How do SDI and especially RAID compare? Both are derived from tech diving, it says on their websites. Any other info is welcome.

Are there any advantages to any of these agencies? How credible are their certifications in the courses I'm interested in? How best to go forward from where I am right now to where I want to go? Apart from chemistry with the actual instructor?

Thanks.

If you’re looking for tech courses, it’s going to be TDI (SDI is recreational). TDI is a respected agency. All my tech courses (cave/CCR) are through TDI. But it all depends on what instructors are available to you and who you mesh with.

Can’t comment on RAID or GUE, but a lot of SDI TDI instructors are independent. Which means they aren’t dictated by a shop. You can have a more personal and thorough course, if you pick the right instructor. Start by contacting some in your area or the area you want to get certified and talk to them. I’m sure this thread will get interesting quick.

TDI has a far more "developed" technical training program than RAID and SSI. BUT, not all TDI instructors are created equal. Some are fantastic, some are great and many are so so. You'll have to choose your instructor wisely.

If you are looking for TDI/GUE training, or any technical training in the Netherlands, I'd suggest these folks, they have some of the best technical instructors in Europe.

Scuba-Academie Netherlands

TDI has a far more "developed" technical training program than RAID and SSI. BUT, not all TDI instructors are created equal. Some are fantastic, some are great and many are so so. You'll have to choose your instructor wisely.

If you are looking for TDI/GUE training, or any technical training in the Netherlands, I'd suggest these folks, they have some of the best technical instructors in Europe.

Scuba-Academie Netherlands
Thanks, they're the ones that were listed as SDI/TDI up until a week ago, now their website states RAID. That's what I was triggered by. They're in my home town too, they would be my go-to people for tech training.

Thanks, they're the ones that were listed as SDI/TDI up until a week ago, now their website states RAID. That's what I was triggered by. They're in my home town too, they would be my go-to people for tech training.

Where does it say RAID on their page? I only see TDI, GUE and PADI.

If I was starting over with the knowledge I have now. I would take GUE fundamentals in doubles. Then take ANDP through TDI. Then cross to a rebreather and move into trimix.
That is not the path I took, but that would be my choice to do over now.

Back
Top Bottom