RAID vs SDI vs GUE vs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't decided yet. I talked to both GUE and TDI instructors this weekend (about the Fundamentals and Intro to Tech courses). I am leaning toward the TDI course because it seems the instructor can cater more to specific student needs and they are more flexible in terms of location and dates.
GUE is more restrictive in course planning in my experience. One of the reasons I did not continue with GUE. The other being I don't like their CCR setup at all. Both are good courses however.

I personally had numerous utterly horrible experiences with GUE, but I think that was 95% bad instructors and 5% GUE bad attitude. Nonetheless, I strongly recommend that you hold your nose and at least give them a try. It's worth the pain. Maybe you'll have a fine instructor and a good experience.

Well, I have only talked to the two instructors, haven't been in the water with them. They both seem pleasant and knowledgeable enough. But there are some clear philosophy differences between the approaches and goals and how they go about reaching them. And those differences seem to be agency-dependent rather than instructor dependent. (Basically, they are or are NOT allowed to change the way they teach stuff, or the order in which they do it, stuff like that. That's what they told me anyway.)

This is interesting because people here always say 'pick your instructor, not the agency' - I would agree. But what if the agency has a big say in what instructors can and cannot do?

(Basically, they are or are NOT allowed to change the way they teach stuff, or the order in which they do it, stuff like that. That's what they told me anyway.)

This is interesting because people here always say 'pick your instructor, not the agency' - I would agree. But what if the agency has a big say in what instructors can and cannot do?
Yes, the inflexibility of GUE can be seen as a disadvantage. However, it can also be an advantage if you intend to proceed through a progression of courses. Each course builds on the material taught in the course before it, and relies upon that base to a greater extent than in other agencies' course progressions (or at least that is my perception). When you show up for the next course, the instructor can efficiently devote 100% of the time (which you spent a lot of money for) to teaching you the new material. You could have a new instructor for the next course, and the new instructor will not need to first determine what you learned or did not learn in the previous course. To achieve this, each course needs to cover the material in nearly the exact same way.

Well, I have only talked to the two instructors, haven't been in the water with them. They both seem pleasant and knowledgeable enough. But there are some clear philosophy differences between the approaches and goals and how they go about reaching them. And those differences seem to be agency-dependent rather than instructor dependent. (Basically, they are or are NOT allowed to change the way they teach stuff, or the order in which they do it, stuff like that. That's what they told me anyway.)

Pick your agency, then pick the instructor.

It both.

“I really like what X agency has to offer. Their materials and course content align with many needs. Ok, who should I go to so I can learn this info in the best manner possible?”

The name(s) of GUE instructors people are promoting in this thread are not the same at the names I hear at the divespots or my buddies are telling me.

Every (GUE) instructor has pros and cons. Here I only hear pros about the same (GUE) instructors… At the divespots you also hear cons…
hahahaha, this made me crack up. I heard about this one dude who euro-gue people really seem to dislike alot, including former students. Strangely they will happily talk **** about him in real life but not on the internet. I don't know this dude from a hole in the wall but I think his name starts with a J and ends with P and I think he's from a land where people love frikandellen from vending machines and tiny little pancakes.
I wonder who you had in mind. 😄

I sure don't want to be seen as a fanboy.
You know... I think that ship has sailed.

Yes, the inflexibility of GUE can be seen as a disadvantage. However, it can also be an advantage if you intend to proceed through a progression of courses. Each course builds on the material taught in the course before it, and relies upon that base to a greater extent than in other agencies' course progressions (or at least that is my perception). When you show up for the next course, the instructor can efficiently devote 100% of the time (which you spent a lot of money for) to teaching you the new material. You could have a new instructor for the next course, and the new instructor will not need to first determine what you learned or did not learn in the previous course. To achieve this, each course needs to cover the material in nearly the exact same way.
This reminds me of an OW/AOW student of mine who had an interest in technical diving, so I sent him to the local GUE community.

He didn't have many dives but had taken fundies prior to boat diving off the big island. When he came back, he commented what a sh!t show the pre dive equipment checks were on the boat.

Rigid in comparison absolutely. But the simplicity of configuration makes some error prone steps super simple.

I don't abide by the entire GUE philosophy/configuration, but I still appreciate its merits.

You sure have it in for GUE, @berndo.
No, why would I? GUE folk are such nice people and so chill, especially on the internet. 😄
Seriously though, I think it just seems that way because it comes up so much and the deciples aren't used to people who are non-believers.

I'll actually be at one of your euro-brethren's sarced quarries next weekend. I can write a report on it. There is gonna be alot of very serious tech-dive discussion and scootering in circles going on... for conservation. ... just kidding 🙂.
Lighten up.

@berndo, I don't have any GUE "brethren," nor am I a "disciple." I have and will in the future gladly train through other agencies. If you attack them, I would defend them, too. You do nothing but attack GUE in every thread where it's mentioned. Go after PADI, a bigger target than little GUE. I'll defend PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom