What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a Respiratory Therapist (resp.care practioner) according to my license. I work primarily in Surgical Intensive Care in a hosp. that is a large openheart and vascular center.

chuckrt

I am a Computer Programmer mainly in the Medical Insurance and Financial industries developing business applications and databases. I also do web-based programming for small companies as a consultant.

I'm a Technical Support Engineer providing Backline internal support as well as supporting National Accounts in NA for a Major Computer Corp. for Intel based Dual Processor Graphics Workstations. I support HW/SW and networking issues.

GD

I used to be a nerd, now I manage other nerds!
OK, I have an Electrical Engineering background, and I work for Intel. I am about to move from Quality & Reliability engineering into Fab Process Engineering (this is where we make the wafers that turn into chips that turn into your PC).

Intel has a very lucrative stock option program (pays for the dives), vacation package (4 wks/year) and sabbatical program (8 weeks paid leave every 7 years). I am starting my second sabbatical in June of this year! :dance: Diving in US Virgin Islands, Florida Keys, and Jamaica.

Oh, and no, I'm not hiring right now...:(

I sell gypsum and steel studs as the core products to drywall contractors along with all the related accessories. I have done this for 20 years in the Bay Area.

I work for G.E Aircraft Engines, we overhaul commercial, and military jet engines, I am currently working on the military program, overhauling jet engines for the apache, and blackhawk helicopters, as you can imagine, we are quite busy right now. I now have to squeeze those dives in, and keep our boys flying! Dive safe.

I'm a microscopist in a biomedical research lab. I've thought about going back to grad school for my PhD, but there really is no incentive...post-docs are really treated as slave labor (really, the salary is pitiful), there aren't many jobs out there, and I've kinda become disenchanted with the whole romantic idea of running my own lab one day. I really love my job (I get to use state-of-the-art microscopes and digital imaging equipment!), but it really bothers me that I work with people who forget to treat others with as much respect and kindness as they would expect from others. I don't know, I used to think that it was just the young, cocky, hot-shot grad students that did this, but lately I've noticed all kinds of people, including principal investigators, acting this way. What has happened to the old-fashioned "Please and Thank you" way of life? Does anyone else out there feel the same way? Maybe I was just born 10 years too late...or maybe I'm just in the wrong field, I'm certainly not a cut-throat kinda scientist. Sorry 'bout that, I'm only 28, and I'm talking like an old codger!! Thanks for letting me vent...thank god I've got diving to help me escape (nothing like breathing underwater to help me feel less suffocated!).

Electron microscopists do it with high voltage.:doctor:

ladycute1,

Originally posted by ladycute1
Psychologist --- working primarily in community mental health with underserved populations.

I'm glad I did a double-take on your post. At first I thought you said "undeserved populations" and I thought "Man, that's pretty cold for a community mental health psychologist." :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom