What do you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver:
This thread was to see just what people carried in their personal kits. Sort of an idea source.

You said you pulled this list from Galls. But do you really carry all that? What about when you are traveling?

We usually pack the basic bag with all of that in it--the weight of the bag isn't great (about 4-5 pounds or so) and size wise will fit in one of the small side compartments in the family truckster. (The o2 kit is a little larger--but not too big). As we mostly drive to our dive destinations, I haven't needed to economize on it for a flying situation. Several times it has come in handy to have at the springs in FL and especially when we take the boat out in the gulf to the platforms... Both kits occupy less space than a bag of groceries (or a large camera bag) and I think are worth having around--even if they don't get used.
I know several physicians who regularly go on safari to Africa and at least take this much, along with transfusion kits, suturing and fluids.."just in case".
Even if the emergency medicine is to improvise and overcome, it never hurts to have something to work with..

No arguement, a well stocked trauma bag comes in real handy if there is space and weight for it.

ArcticDiver:
No arguement, a well stocked trauma bag comes in real handy if there is space and weight for it.

Just wondering if you (or anyone else reading) also ride a meat wagon?

Snowbear:
ALS: Size 7.0 and 8.0 ET tube, stylet, laryngoscope (#4 curved blade), MacGill forceps.

For back-country trips, I add a suture kit and xylocaine as well.

For horse-hauling trips through Canada, I add a pretty extensive vet kit.
I am not exactly sure what type of regulations you have in your neck of the woods, but here in NJ they are pretty strict-for a medic and even more so for an RN. Soooooo I get to watch my a** in both aspects. All I ever carry is a pair of gloves and perhaps a Gerber muti tool and some rope. Everything else can be fixed or stabbilized using stuff lying around.

In NJ medics can only practice while traveling on the job with another medic (or equivalent) certification. being that I have a certification as a medic and a license as a nurseI can get in a whole bunch of trouble trying to save a life and make myself useful without the proper authority.

ArcticDive:
Circumstance: Limited tools, like when backpacking. No oral/naso airway adjuncts, no ET or LMA. How do you keep the airway of an unresponsive patient clear? The tongue is the primary airway blocker. So, pin the tongue to the lip. Problem solved.

Better a scar than dead.
I really hope that you are kidding. As for the tounge, a proper head-tilt-chin-lift or modified jaw thrust would alleviate any problems. Or perhaps use an oral aiway :wink: THe saftey pins are good for cravating not pinning lips.

So, does meat wagon translate into Bus in the northeast?

njrn2:
I am not exactly sure what type of regulations you have in your neck of the woods, but here in NJ they are pretty strict-for a medic and even more so for an RN. Soooooo I get to watch my a** in both aspects.
I'll take my chances. I would rather defend my actions than live with my conscience if I do nothing.

Snowbear:
I'll take my chances. I would rather defend my actions than live with my conscience if I do nothing.

I have seen certifcations REVOKED for a medic starting IVs in the field when he just happened to cross the scene of an accident. The hospital that he brought the patients to reported him to the state department of health. I beleive that there were no medics available at that time.

I would rather err on the side of caution.

No cert--> no job --> no money --> no diving.
Considering I am just getting started with diving, and am well away with advancing my career, I need to be safe. Somethings just aren''t worth fighting for.

Always take care of yourself first, then you an take care of others.

-Joe

njrn2:
I would rather err on the side of caution.
Me too. If I can assist someone, especially someone I care about, I will do what I can.
njrn2:
Always take care of yourself first, then you an take care of others.
I'll still take my chances. I was looking for a job when I found this one.

njrn2:
I am not exactly sure what type of regulations you have in your neck of the woods, but here in NJ they are pretty strict-for a medic and even more so for an RN. Soooooo I get to watch my a** in both aspects. All I ever carry is a pair of gloves and perhaps a Gerber muti tool and some rope. Everything else can be fixed or stabbilized using stuff lying around.

You are correct, ALS intervention would necessitate Online Medical Direction (or as we have it now protocol), However--
If it is a family member down and having problems (which is who we dive/take trips with), will do what is necessary and hopefully have the tools available to take care of them. (or me for that matter). I cannot think of a case where the use of good BLS would cause any problem.
Anyways, who wants to work while on vacation?

Meat Wagon/Bus/Med Taxi--but gut scow takes the prize!

njrn2:

In NJ medics can only practice while traveling on the job with another medic (or equivalent) certification. being that I have a certification as a medic and a license as a nurseI can get in a whole bunch of trouble trying to save a life and make myself useful without the proper authority.

I really hope that you are kidding. As for the tounge, a proper head-tilt-chin-lift or modified jaw thrust would alleviate any problems. Or perhaps use an oral aiway :wink: THe saftey pins are good for cravating not pinning lips.

Not kidding at all. Once the airway is open then it has to be kept open. Certainly using a safety pin isn't a first choice. But, If Necessary, it is an accepted method.

It seems a waste for NJ to put those kind of restrictions on professionals. In most places I'm aware of an off-duty professional, paid or unpaid, has no more duty to render aid than any other citizen. But, if they do decide to provide medical treatment they are obligated to do whatever a reasonable and prudent person with similiar professional standing would do under those circumstances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom