What do you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed.

But, when weight and space limits force me to cut to the minimum I don't have any ETs, OPAs, or NPAs. So a person's gotta do what a person's gotta do.

ArcticDiver:
Not kidding at all. Once the airway is open then it has to be kept open. Certainly using a safety pin isn't a first choice. But, If Necessary, it is an accepted method.

It seems a waste for NJ to put those kind of restrictions on professionals. In most places I'm aware of an off-duty professional, paid or unpaid, has no more duty to render aid than any other citizen. But, if they do decide to provide medical treatment they are obligated to do whatever a reasonable and prudent person with similiar professional standing would do under those circumstances.
I agree, It is a waste of time and money. The way the NJ legislature reads is that I am not forced to provide care if I have no duty to act. If I do provide care I can only function in the capacity of an EMT with the assessment skills of an RN...go figure. I am not "allowed" to do anything along the ALS skill line. No IV, No intubation...... I don't agree with this at all.

As for orders. We can function under stading orders or radio failure protocaol; however, a physician must sign off on EVERY chart that is filled out.....on EVERY ALS tx that is provided. No chart, no signature, NOT LEAGLE. Do I agree, abslutley not.

As for the Safety Pin..... I am still baffled for a couple of reasaons. I know that a safety pin is not considered a standard of care. In a court of law you would be considered negligible and reckless. Second, the tounge has a lot of vasculature contained within it. If you get one of the great vessels you, and the patient, are royally screwed. Yes, I know that tounges can be pierced. The idea is that the piercing goes through the middle of the tounge where there is a lower risk of vaculature. Messed up tounge rings, been there, treated that.

-Joe

I'm highly allergic to certain things and have asthma therfore I always cary an EPIpen, a BroncoDialator and Benedryl.

I would assume this would be helpful to other people aswell.

Gee, of all the things I post a safety pin gets the attention. Who would a thought?

Actually, this was taught by a Doc in a Remote/Isolated Care Class. I'm told it is part of the curriculum in several classes. His focus was on improvised tools to solve common problems. What we would now call Thinking Outside The Box. The safety pin is just one of the tools. There are several others.

Now I agree in the cosmic scale of things I am "negligible", as are the rest of us. But negligent and reckless? Nope, not at all. You are thinking with an ambulance/clinic/hospital setting mindset. Shift your thinking to a remote/isolated mindset where the person's life is in balance and you are solo. Think about what could be done to save a life. Don't know about NJ. But most places a person could be criticized for not doing all they knew how to do to save that life or minimize injury.

z28pwr:
I'm highly allergic to certain things and have asthma therfore I always cary an EPIpen, a BroncoDialator and Benedryl.

I would assume this would be helpful to other people aswell.

Doubt the Law in your State would allow this.

If the law allows you to use your drugs on someone else be sure to get proper training and the approval of your physician. The Doc prescribed them for your body only.

Those are potent drugs that have significant effects. You don't want to screw it up.

ArcticDiver:
Doubt the Law in your State would allow this.

If the law allows you to use your drugs on someone else be sure to get proper training and the approval of your physician. The Doc prescribed them for your body only.

Those are potent drugs that have significant effects. You don't want to screw it up.

WOW, so if somebody is having an allergic reaction and can't breath I can't let them use my EpiPen ?

I'm not in the medical field therefore I guess If I tried to help somebody I would probably be sued for trying to help. But it just seems wrong to not do anything.. I can't belive this.

Like I said check the Law and get training from your Doctor.

Those drugs are prescribed to you by your Doctor for your use Only. As you say you aren't in the medical field. Before you use them for anyone else but yourself get the training.

Glock 19, EAA Witness Subcompact or a Colt 1911 chambered for the .45ACP.

Roak :)

lucky bugger... i have to make do with a Ruger police service six, .357 Magnum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom