What do you all do when it's too cold to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive all year long where I am also, West coast of Canada. The only down time for us is when the tanks are in the shop being filled :)

Time for a trip to warm water territory for you, or cold :wink:

Still diving in northeastern Pennsylvania with a 7mil. Drysuit allows a hole to be cut in the ice.
Would rather, however be diving in the Caribbean or tropics.

What is this 'too cold to dive' you speak of?

Last winter we were diving with air temps of -14c (7f) and water temps around 6c(43f). The water didn't reach 10c(50f) until midsummer's day.

If we waited until the water and air was warm we'd never go diving at all.

A drysuit, decent undersuit, a flask of something hot for between dives, hat and gloves will keep you toasty.

I miss diving already...how do I get through the winter?

I switch from summer drysuit underwear to winter drysuit underwear, swap out the wet gloves for drygloves, add an extra 12 pounds of lead and go diving!

If the weather above-water is really nasty (< 25F with a lot of wind and blowing snow), I'll generally skip it, but when we get some sun, the diving is great.

In fact, viz in the winter is amazing, and can easily be way over 60' in fresh water.

flots.

I think I should've known better than to ask this question here hehe.

Someday, when cold water doesn't freak me out, I will start saving up for a drysuit. Before I actually got in water less than 80f, I thought ice diving would be really neat to explore someday...now I'd just be happy to be able to not feel like I'm suffocating at 65ft, 45f.

I wish I had the vacation time and the money to go to Ginnie this weekend...might be going for my bday in Feb though :eek:)

I like to practice skills in the pool during the off season and don't have the money to travel.

I think I should've known better than to ask this question here hehe.

Someday, when cold water doesn't freak me out, I will start saving up for a drysuit. Before I actually got in water less than 80f, I thought ice diving would be really neat to explore someday...now I'd just be happy to be able to not feel like I'm suffocating at 65ft, 45f.

I wish I had the vacation time and the money to go to Ginnie this weekend...might be going for my bday in Feb though :eek:)

Cold water only freaks you out because it's cold.

With the right thermal protection, the only cold part is where your hood stops and your mask starts.

I won't say it's "toasty", but it's also not even a little unpleasant.

flots.

I can't speak for everyone, but with a drysuit, some decent undergarments and argon, my team and I dive 12 months a year. Often in water temps dipping into the 40's.

No offense but that ain't winter. Our water temps are in the 40's and even into the 30's in the summer.

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom