What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an FYI about those things so others don't buy them and have regrets. They are available from eBay for a few dollars. A shop tried to sell me one once :/

I looked on eBay for a cable for the Suunto D4 but came up empty handed. Fortunately I found a German company that sells a lot of specialized cables, including the D4 USB interface for about half the price of what Suunto asks. All I need now is MacDive and the driver software, both of which are free :)

The company's site, if you're interested is smartinterface.de (finding and ordering the cable you're looking for will require some basic knowledge of German, or Google translate)

An off-the-shelf wetsuit. When I was young and my belly was smaller than my hips, I had a custom wetsuit, and life was good. Now that I am a fat old man, whatever possessed me to think that I could fit into a standard sized suit?

The AIR II. It seemed like a great idea to get rid of one hose. The trouble is, the buttons are in an awkward location, so accurate buoyancy control is difficult. The original power inflater was better.

Great thread and i like reading the response. As for me, i have bought way too much of the things that seemed like a good idea at the time and have finally after 15 years of diving sorted out my gear that is right for me and he type of diving that i do now in Southeat Asia.

- I got rid of the integrated octo and use a standard octo now (for what i see as better safety and quality of reg) and will go with a 7' hose set up soon also for safety after i saw a panicked diver take a reg out of their buddies mouth.

- I use a wrist mouted computer for convenience but after a serious discussion with some IT wireless techies I added a streamlined spg for backup. Not doing much deep diving these days staying at less than 130 feet.

- Fins....god...why did i buy all those fins over the years. Now i stick with the Scubapro jet fins...old technology but they work.

The Aeris Roller Duffle Bag DiveAeris.com - Scuba Diving Gear Bags - Roller Duffel

The material edges were not sewn or 'whipped' prior to assembly. The bag just came apart at the seams and zippers, as the slightest bit of stress caused the stitching to 'comb' off the end threads. For over $200, too.

See I have an issue with buying something that peters out and then the Company will not honor their item. Their decision to tell you this is their way to weasel out of taking care of something with their name on it. We all know they make items for pennies compared to retial and if they would just honor a repair or replacement then the negative feedback wouldnt deter another buyer. If a company tells me this then they know I WILL NOT BUY anything from them, I will suggest to you to continue to contact and also send item to them insured just incase it was lost or destroyed. Make sure there is a long letter involved expressing your concern for customer service.

To this day I have always received service from any company when I write and send it to them.

Now... I bought a bunch of get started stuff, im a gadget buyer, I like to have it instead of need it. My gear cost me 500 bucks to start, all Mares and now refining.. this is when Ill regret stuff. LOL Gonna spend some money now! LOL

Send that computer to them in italy wherever. Get address off website and send it to them, its no good to you now so if its lost or destroyed overseas does it really matter!?!

The list is long but a Cochran air integrated computer has to be the topper, along with an OMS canister light, I’m still mad about that.

I always find it interesting how people perceive what is good and what is bad.

I have used an Air II for probably fifteen years and I love it. Some people claim that they are awkward to share air with, like its something they have to do every other dive. In reality you can dive for a life time and never have to use it for sharing air. And if you did have to use it, it would be mildly inconvenient for a few minutes unless you’re diving beyond the no deco limits. Then you should not be relying solely on an Air II. I find the Air II a lot more convenient than having seven feet of hose wrapped around my neck. If however if I was in a cave and my buddy had to follow me out while sharing air, the original intent for the seven foot hose, I would defiantly not rely on an Air II.

When it comes to computers I like consoles. I have lost two wrist computes, one because of a strap failure, thank you very much Cochran, and one because I just lost it. I never forget my console, I never loose it, and I never get in the water without it because it’s attached to my reg. I ware it under my arm and under my BC strap so when I’m not using it, it’s not dragging or in the way. Plus my compass, SPG and computer are all in one spot, all very simple and very easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom