What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About two years ago I bought a Diving concepts DrysuitDiving Concepts Main Page, I am sorry to say I should of just through my money out window while driving down the highway. The suit was a front zip compressed neoprene suit and just at one year I had to send it in for service. First off you must send it to a dealer. The Manufacturer would not deal with me direct with the problem which was a leak in one of the leg panels. So I had the dealer send it in and this is what they said my zipper was wore out, and there are about 20 leaks in the suit. I was not aware of any other leaks but ok. They also told me I would need a new zipper. This blew my mind since the suit only had about 50-60 dives on it. The leak which was not in just one localized area but a huge Fizz in about a 3inch area would also be fix along with the others but I would have to pay for the zipper. I agreed, and about 2 weeks later got my suit back. Took it out for a dive and still had a wet leg. Took it back to a friends dive shop and to my suprise after a presure test still had the leak I had told them about. Same Fizz in same spot same size. Our conclusion is some how the material had became Delaminated. Sorry you first chance was when I bought a 2200.00 suit. The second was when I sent it in for the repair. And there will be no third chance. I now have a new drysuit and will not be buying another from there company. When buying a drysuit go and see them in person inspect how they are constructed and ask about how they back stuff up.

After thinking about it, I have a few more regrets. I bought a Halcyon wing that arrived with a 2" cut in the material, probably from a box cutter. I sent it back, but Halcyon won't repair wings due to liability issues. They wanted me to buy a more expensive model instead. I told them to send it back. I repaired it myself with a waterbed patch.
After years of replacing ballasts and bulbs on a Halcyon HID canister light, I bought a Princeton Tec LED instead. It's nearly as bright and cost less than $100. I gave away my can light.
I sold my scooter on Ebay. I guess if I was mapping caves a mile in, a scooter would be handy, but for ocean diving it was just a toy. I bought a camera instead and learned to slow down so I could discover all the life I was scooting past before.

After thinking about it, I have a few more regrets. I bought a Halcyon wing that arrived with a 2" cut in the material, probably from a box cutter. I sent it back, but Halcyon won't repair wings due to liability issues. They wanted me to buy a more expensive model instead. I told them to send it back. I repaired it myself with a waterbed patch.
After years of replacing ballasts and bulbs on a Halcyon HID canister light, I bought a Princeton Tec LED instead. It's nearly as bright and cost less than $100. I gave away my can light.
I sold my scooter on Ebay. I guess if I was mapping caves a mile in, a scooter would be handy, but for ocean diving it was just a toy. I bought a camera instead and learned to slow down so I could discover all the life I was scooting past before.

:shocked2: Halcyon wouldn't replace it? What kind of customer service is that?

A billion years ago I bough a couple of Spare Airs because they were a great deal at DEMA, what a crock...useless, unless you are just cleaning the pool... sold them a year later...best sale I made...

Dive safe,

Celia

I regret having bought the Oxycheq Raider IV lights. They are beautiful lights, the best backup lights I have ever seen or used, when they work. But we got one that didn't work out of the box, and of the two (one replacement) we got that initially worked, neither lasted six months. Good idea, bad design.

In point of fact, I regret every hand-held light we have ever bought that had a switch. They have all failed. I'm back to twist-on lights.

Only a few so far:

- premade surgical tubing regulator necklace... Made one out of shock cord, fits better AND is adjustable

- giant dive knife... Still usefull topside though

- three pane mask (with the side windows)... Still going to keep it in my spares kit

- snorkel! I never used it after training. On the surface, if it's choppy, I just keep my regulator in. Air consumption is very low for me at 1 ATA...
Still holding onto it in my gearbag because 1) snorkeling is fun 2) maybe someday I'll need it for a dive?

Only a few so far:

- snorkel! I never used it after training. On the surface, if it's choppy, I just keep my regulator in. Air consumption is very low for me at 1 ATA...
Still holding onto it in my gearbag because 1) snorkeling is fun 2) maybe someday I'll need it for a dive?

Snorkel is useful for any place where you make some surface swims out to the dive sites, like Bonaire or if you are around some whale sharks. Some places only let you snorkel with them? Other than that I never use it either.

Warm water gloves, I bought them and never used them.

I regret having bought the Oxycheq Raider IV lights. They are beautiful lights, the best backup lights I have ever seen or used, when they work. But we got one that didn't work out of the box, and of the two (one replacement) we got that initially worked, neither lasted six months. Good idea, bad design.

In point of fact, I regret every hand-held light we have ever bought that had a switch. They have all failed. I'm back to twist-on lights.
Try ScubaPro Nova :wink:

That's a nice looking light for a reasonable price for a high-end backup light. But I don't know anybody who has used one.

Underwater Kinetics dive light, 2 of them, hold 8 D-cells. Lifetime warranty. Internal metal tabs that contact the batteries snapped off on both lights, never flooded. Company absolutely refused to honor lifetime warranty. Spoke with a number of people at the complany even the president. Would do absolutely nothing, no refund, n discount on another light, zero.

UK DOES NOT honor their lifetime warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom