What are your thoughts on "Streamlined Regulator" configuration for primary donate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched to a 40" primary hose a couple years ago. I tried a 90 degree and a 70 degree adaptor and both caused jaw fatigue, exacerbated by looking left and with repetitive dives. I switched to an Omniswivel, problem solved.

I'll just tell the boat to drop me off on the inside of the reef. No need to look left...problem solved!

I'm a recreational diver but I dive on a BP/wing with a 7 ft primary and a second on a necklace. I chose this configuration because initially I was headed for cave or deep OW technical diving. My diving buddy was full cave and used the same setup. Well, my plans have changed and cave/tech has been put into the deep freezer, at least for the foreseeable future.

I have been on charters whose dives included short swim-through's in tight passages that would make a side-by-side donate very difficult. Yeah, I know, the chance of an OOA situation happening at the worst possible time is very remote. When diving with other divers who are not similarly equipped sometimes I feel that "murphy" is holding a loaded gun to my head. So maybe the revolver has a 1000 chambers in it but there is still that one live round.

The long hose is very streamlined in that the hose doesn't stick out very far from the first stage before turning down and laying next to the body. The only thing I need to be aware of is where the second stage is. I have to be careful it doesn't end up sitting on the ground or on the deck of a boat. Other than that, no problems.

I have been on charters whose dives included short swim-through's in tight passages that would make a side-by-side donate very difficult. Yeah, I know, the chance of an OOA situation happening at the worst possible time is very remote. When diving with other divers who are not similarly equipped sometimes I feel that "murphy" is holding a loaded gun to my head. So maybe the revolver has a 1000 chambers in it but there is still that one live round.
A pony might ease that feeling. :)

but rather that unless there is some predicament other than the OOA situation that demands the buddy pair ascend quickly, it's better to ascend in a relaxed manner at a normal rate, and to facilitate that you should have a primary hose that's long enough to be comfortable for both divers.

This. In my one experience with a quasi OOA situation, my son and I were able to comfortably buddy breath the short distance back to the mooring line, ascend in a controlled manner and not require our boat recall all of the other divers in order to come chase us down because we drifted off in the current. For me, the ability to make a comfortable swim to the mooring line was safer than drifting up through the potential of other boat traffic.

I imagine the first comment is going to be why not just use the 5 or 7 feet hose?

Warm water rec diving, I don't think it matters, they are both streamlined.

Back
Top Bottom