Primary Donate - Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A well-trained and competent diver should not have an OOA emergency. Period. Being with a like-minded buddy or team, having "standardized equipment", etc. makes no difference to that.
He said "A well-trained dive team should not have an OOA emergency unless there is an equipment malfunction." As I understood the rest of the comment, it was referring to when one is OOA due to equipment malfunction. I do believe the like-minded training and standardization stuff can be beneficial when one is OOA, which, as I think we all agree, should not occur unless there is an equipment malfunction.

I now have just below 50 dives with a BP/W and long hose (the previous 175 or more dives were with jacket style rental gear). I have no training but I got the configuration in anticipation that I will do the Intro to Tech in the coming years. I make it a point to watch videos of S-Drills and compulsorily practice the drill on every dive at 6 mtrs. On every dive, I tell my buddy to wait at 6 mtr and watch me as I do it before heading further down and out. My buddy is usually a dive master or a staff member as I make it clear I want to focus on shooting videos and need somebody to just hover and watch over me, and not another tourist like me going around himself looking for critters (unless on an LOB). I also make it a point to deploy my DSMB on every dive for practice. Am I doing it right? I hope so … as long as I don’t snag it and able to deliver the long hose in front of me while switching to the necklaced backup in one fluid motion I think its good for now… until I do the ITT and an instructor can spot any flaws to be corrected.

Love you @tursiops :). So I deleted my post because the other was deleted :cuddles: and both were just rehashes anyways and nothing new. And because you cannot delete a quoted post unless the quoted post is also deleted. So I fixed it for you and now you can do the same if you wish.

The quoted sections were not for you and are from a recreational divers vantage, go back and read the OPs #1 post, we are not talking tech diving here and if you are then you are not on topic or on point. Nor was the poster to whom I poised those questions intended rhetorically. Thanks for feeling the need to answer them :wink:.

Most, nearly all, divers use a safe second system because most agencies teach that system and it works just fine in open water recreational diving. There is nothing inherently dangerous in donating a safe second vs donating your primary, if anything it is safer because only one diver is without a regulator momentarily, not two.

Maybe rather than fussing over hose lengths and primary donate vs octopus donate for non technical diving, maybe upgrade your buddies if they cannot take an octopus and instead attack you snatching your primary. Just out of curiosity but if on a dh regulator or rebreather, do these panicked and out of control OOA divers snatch the loop? In the end all of this comes down to some training and discipline. I do not want my wife diving with anyone who is going to aggressively snatch her regulator out of her mouth and in my case if such were to happen it might take my front teeth out as they are implanted and rather delicate.

I am mostly but not exclusively primary donate, my wife is not, most of my usual buddies are not. Somehow I deal with it. And really, I am gravitating back to safe second, so called octopus, system and away from primary donate for recreational diving. The long hose is a bugger to deal with in some circumstances and has little advantage if any for recreational diving. Secondary donate is more simple and more minimal and potentially more streamlined.

And, directed to you since you knocked on my door, unlike the other quoted sections, if as you state you have had multiple panicked OOA divers taking your primary (and you did not tell them beforehand to do so in your buddy briefing as I do when so equipped) then maybe you need some new buddies or something of a better process because that has not been my experience, not at all. Or not set yourself up in a circumstances with random OOA divers on the prowl, what, like Trick or Treat. Safety begins before the dive, not during and is not exclusive to primary donate. Good grief :shakehead: . Love you though :).
I've deleted my post that seemed to infuriate you.

To the OP, a 40 inch hose on your primary, with a 110 deg angle at the end, works great. No problem to donate, no big deal to put the other reg on a necklace under your chin into your mouth. You are not OOG...so you are not bothered by switching regs. This is a recreational setup....not technical.

Stuart, when I was trained back in the early 90s (PADI), my instructor told us to check on your buddy's air throughout the dive. I have had buddies ask to show them my SPG also. So it is not as uncommon as you think. Maybe it is old school? If it is not taught, maybe you should bring it up to the certifying agencies or mention it to your students.

As to not having an out of air emergency period, years ago there was an incident where a turret came off the first stage. At that you loose everything on a single tank. What are your choices: 1) you can ditch weight and do an emergency ascent exhaling as you rise or 2) breath off your buddy's second and do a controlled ascent. I think choice 2 is safer, do you disagree?

As for standardized equipment, The is a transcript floating around on the web on a DIR lecture given by GI3. He explained why they choose to standardize both equipment and procedures after a string of diving accidents. I may still have it if you are interested.

My bad. I apologize. When I read "DIR", my brain immediately went to "technical diving" (where one would be expected to have redundant gas and a 1st stage blowout should be an inconvenience, not an emergency). I feel like "DIR" diving and "single tank recreational" diving are mutually exclusive. To ME anyway, you're not DIR if you don't have redundant gas. But, maybe that really is just in my own head.

Yes, if you are diving single tank, then an OOA situation is an emergency and it is certainly possible.

However, I stand by my underlying point. If that happens (single tank diving, OOA), I don't see where it matters at all whether you have DIR training or "not-DIR" training. If you are well-trained (by XYZ non-DIR agency) and competent and diving with a well-trained (by ABC non-DIR agency) and competent diver, an OOA situation should not be a major issue. If you are both well-trained, then even if you've never dived together before and your training for OOA is different, you will have discussed it ahead of time, so that you each know how the other will want to give you air in that situation. And you'll be close enough to each other when it happens to help the other when the OOA event happens. In which case, being DIR or not should not matter at all.

"DIR diving" does not have some kind of monopoly on good, safe diving.

If you send me the transcript of GI3's lecture, I would be happy to read it. Seriously.

However, I stand by my underlying point. If that happens (single tank diving, OOA), I don't see where it matters at all whether you have DIR training or "not-DIR" training. If you are well-trained (by XYZ non-DIR agency) and competent and diving with a well-trained (by ABC non-DIR agency) and competent diver, an OOA situation should not be a major issue. If you are both well-trained, then even if you've never dived together before and your training for OOA is different, you will have discussed it ahead of time, so that you each know how the other will want to give you air in that situation. And you'll be close enough to each other when it happens to help the other when the OOA event happens. In which case, being DIR or not should not matter at all.

"DIR diving" does not have some kind of monopoly on good, safe diving.
I agree it "should not matter," and if the buddies have discussed ahead of time how they're going to handle an OOA situation, familiarized themselves with their buddy's gear, practiced it enough, etc., all will work out okay. But I suspect that in the real world of single-tank diving, you don't see a lot of divers other than DIR geeks who will have all that squared away on every dive.

I agree it "should not matter," and if the buddies have discussed ahead of time how they're going to handle an OOA situation, familiarized themselves with their buddy's gear, practiced it enough, etc., all will work out okay.
What you and Stuart assume is that it is your buddy that runs out of air. It could be someone else's buddy that got separated. How are they to know what the out of air protocol is?

If you send me the transcript of GI3's lecture, I would be happy to read it. Seriously.
On YouTube there are 3 DIR videos:

DIR 1
DIR 2
DIR 3

DIR 3 has the best production value. Below I attached some articles by GI3. Before there was the GUE, the WKPP people used to run seminars.

Attachments

• george_irvine_dir_articles.pdf
    278.8 KB · Views: 50
  • george_irvine_do_it_right.pdf
    565.7 KB · Views: 71
  • george_irvine_lecture_to_baue.pdf
    207.1 KB · Views: 56
On YouTube there are 3 DIR videos:

DIR 1
DIR 2
DIR 3

DIR 3 has the best production value. Below I attached some articles by GI3. Before there was the GUE, the WKPP people used to run seminars.

Thank you! That is a lot. It will take me some time to get through it all. I appreciate you taking the time.

Back
Top Bottom