Routing hose from Swivel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. I am OW recreational diver.
I use a 40” primary hose that I have attached to my swivel first stage. I have it set to route from the bottom of the swivel (5th LP). I like this layout and am curious what others do. I thought maybe it’s designed for side mount or for long hose (5 or 7 ft), but what about 40”?
I have my primary on the swivel and it’s 22” necklaced.
I use BPW too. If that matters😏

Thanks in advance for commenting.

40" primaries are actually quite rare.
Going 90deg down from your mouth, under your armpit, then back up to the bottom port would be typical-ish.

40" primaries are actually quite rare.
Going 90deg down from your mouth, under your armpit, then back up to the bottom port would be typical-ish.
For what it's worth, that's the standard primary hose for Dive-Rite's "Advanced Open Water" packages (not a super common regulator, I concede). I do route under the arm, but on this FT1 first stage the hoses are actually front and back, not top and bottom [1].

[1]: FT1 First Stage - Dive Rite

I use the same configuration with a Mk25 1st. Primary 2nd from the bottom lp port, on a 40 inch hose, with 70 degree swivel. Routed under the right arm. Secondary on 22" hose, necklaced. I usually use a 5' primary hose, but liked the basic configuration of the Sherwood Maximus that a friend uses, and am experimenting to see if I like it better. It's a couple inches shorter than the Sherwood, and is nicely streamlined, so we'll see.

Here is a link to a good description of four different approaches to hose routing...the "classic" alternate reg donate configuration and three primary reg donate configurations, each with routing starting under the right arm, differentiated by the primary reg's hose length: 40 inches without neck loop, 5 feet with neck loop, and 7 feet with neck loop.

Keeping Your Hose in Line - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

I use the 40 inch primary reg donate configuration described in the link but with a 44 inch rubber primary reg hose (Piranha Dive Mfg) attached to the primary reg with an Omniswivel.

I would prefer to have the primary hose on a 5th port on the bottom of my Apeks FSR 1st stage but my FSR is too old to be compatible with the 5th port upgrade. Regardless, it works fine with the necklaced alternate reg on a 22" hose on the right-side LP port closest to my back and the primary reg hose on the right-side LP port furthest from my back. YMMV.

Hi. I am OW recreational diver.
I use a 40” primary hose that I have attached to my swivel first stage. I have it set to route from the bottom of the swivel (5th LP). I like this layout and am curious what others do.
Whether I use my Scubapro Mk 10 1st stage (turret down) or my Poseidon Odin 1st stage (diaphragm up), when rec diving I use a standard length (32"?) IP hose routed out of the right side of the 1st stage. This allows the most straightforward and reliable way of recovering your 2nd stage if you should lose it out of your mouth: Reach back with your right hand toward your tank valve, to the right side of the first stage, "find" the IP hose and surround it with your thumb and forefinger, straighten out your arm to "find" your second stage in your hand, put your 2nd stage back into your mouth. Easy. No fishing around using the "arm sweep method" that just might not be able to locate your second stage if it is hung up in your gear.

ETA: Pic is of one of my twins about a dozen years ago in my parents' backyard pool. See was eight or nine at the time.

rx7diver

Reg_Retrieval_MKT_2012.jpg

After a long internal struggle, now long ago, I abandoned the long hose octopus alternate standard (in the linked article), the long hose alternate, and went to the 5 feet long hose primary and secondary necklaced on a 22 inches hose. During my transition I did use the 40 inches hose primary configuration. Now in my lifelong quest to reduce clutter, simplify and eliminate all that is not needed I have come to reassess the needed length and routing of the long hose primary. Any way I look at it, 40 inches is less than 60 inches. Therefore a 40 inches primary rigged under the arm is more simple and minimal and nearer my sought after Zen state. No, wait, the 60 inches hose configuration is more simple and minimal because it does not use a 90 degree swivel! You see, I want to condense down to the most minimal necessities and here I find that I am at a quandary, perplexed, trying to decide which configuration is less. And less is always best. Does 20 inches of hose delta trump a swivel?

I have four regulator sets that I curently use. Two are with the 40 inches hoses primary and with a 90 degree swivel and two are 60 inches hoses primary without a swivel. I have swapped back and forth on the same trips. As to comfort, it is a coin toss. I just moved my wife to the 40 inches primary, and she is still fussing over it, as she prefers the industry standard long hose (octopus) alternate. She may come around :wink:. She keeps asking me where the yellow hose is :rolleyes:?

I've spent years trying various configurations. I settled on a 40" under arm with a 90 degree adapter, I marginally prefer it to the 70.

For BM OW rec diving I find this setup to most ergonomic/suitable. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom