Question OTS Guardian Optimal Hose Routing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnash760

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently picked up an OTS Guardian for recreational use and although I know this is not DIR in the first place I'm trying to do it as right as possible. Anyone have suggestions for optimal hose routing / secondary reg on this? So far I'm running it on a 40" myflex under the arm on the right side to a 90* swivel (thinking of changing to 70*), with my backup 2nd on a 5' myflex long hose routed in the standard fashion over the neck and clipped off with a breakaway to my right shoulder D ring. This seems like the only way to dive a FFM and still have air for your buddy. Thoughts?

Regardless of the tenets of DIR, etc, a great deal of your equipment arrangement, really comes down to a matter of comfort and personal taste.

That said, I have used, (dare I say it?) -- a verboten upstream servo, "over-pressure" Poseidon Atmosphere, for decades, attached to a 36" hose over my right shoulder; so too an octopus (a Jetstream or Xstream second stage) on a same length of hose, mounted underarm, on the right, but have recently switched the FFM to an Atomic swivel hose, at a shorter 30", which still affords a good deal of head rotation and tilt without an extra loop of hose.

If a pony is involved, it is generally mounted alongside my primary tank and plumbed via a gas-switching block (especially in colder water, when I don't wish to swap-out a FFM), mounted on my BC, to my immediate right.

"Thoughts?"

I still see no reason whatsoever, in over four decades of diving for industry and pleasure, for an octopus to be mounted on a five foot hose . . .

I was running a very similar setup with the ffm hose over the right shoulder and secondary under the arm and clipped off, but noticed on a wreck dive that my ffm hose was dragging against parts of the wreck, so i was looking for a way to streamline a little. Ideally it would be more comfortable to ditch that 5' hose as you mentioned and run a 20" or so on a necklace, but do you think that would be too short for a buddy to breath on if the need arose?

I was running a very similar setup with the ffm hose over the right shoulder and secondary under the arm and clipped off, but noticed on a wreck dive that my ffm hose was dragging against parts of the wreck, so i was looking for a way to streamline a little. Ideally it would be more comfortable to ditch that 5' hose as you mentioned and run a 20" or so on a necklace, but do you think that would be too short for a buddy to breath on if the need arose?
I have always run a 30" or 36" hose on any octopuses -- and probably wouldn't encourage anything shorter, for convenience sake . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom