Rubber hose coil memory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option to retain the long hose could be one of this
Mares-Hose-Retainer.jpg

but maybe it will move around all the time

I would personally go the knife sheath route if you decide not to tuck into the waistband. I feel like this won't be secure at all and won't really solve your issue.

yes it's routed that way, my confusion was when searching for the long hose in my chest, I keep touching the drysuit inflator hose and valve. This is my current configuration, the weight pockets are so small that it doesn't count as an option to secure the hose (actually I want to remove them, with steel tank I don't need any). I do carry a small knife in one of the drysuit leg pockets. Maybe I can put it on a sheath and thread through the waistband for that purpose?

View attachment 806660
Like others have said:
- get rid of the 90-degree angles
- shorter the backup/necklace hose
- shorter the inflator hose + add 2 bungees (or cut bicycle inner tubes)to the corrugated hose to keep the inflator hose in place.
- keep drysuit inflator hose tucked under left arm and under the harness. It also looks like it might be long?

I would just tuck the excess hose in the waistband. You can re-tighten the waistband after descending to make sure the suit squeeze doesn't make it too loose to hold the tuck in place. Also when you pull it through the waistband, make sure to pull it to the side, towards your right hip (check out this thread for more). Or get one of those hose retainers, if you prefer.

I think it's mostly a matter of getting more comfortable with it. In time you'll get used to the equipment configuration by feel, so you won't mistake the hoses, and you'll know where everything is.

It is not uncommon to use a knife sheath on the belt to tuck the hose under, but I agree it's not optimal because ideally the diver should be able to reach their knife with their right hand as well as their left.
This will vary, of course, but I can easily deploy my knife from the right hip with my left hand. (I'm about 20 lb heavier than my 6'1" height would ideally support.)

Another option to retain the long hose could be one of this
View attachment 806682
but maybe it will move around all the time

Don't use one of those. It doesn't solve any problems that aren't already solved in a cleaner way (eg, with light canister, or proxy canister like @PEDiver posted), plus it creates problems that didn't exist before - if you need to deploy your long hose in a hurry, you now have to deal with unclipping it.

As most have already said, lose the 90 degree swivels, they may seem like a good idea, but actually make it more uncomfortable. The bungeed backup hose is too long, as is your inflator hose.

Ideal hose length for inflator and backup differs slightly within a couple of inches, with the difference being whether you are using twins or a single, and the configuration of your first stage.

Running twins, the inflator and backup hoses need to be a touch longer (compared to singles - but still shorter than what you currently have), as they have a little longer to reach. If you're running twins with a reg like an mk25 where there's an LP port at the end of the turret, the hose routing is a bit cleaner and you can do with a shorter hose. If you have MK17's or the like, I find the hoses need to be a another couple of inches longer.

If it's a single tank setup, don't be a afraid to try different orientations and/or port configurations of your first stage to get the primary port facing downwards and the backup coming out the side, while still leaving the inflators and SPG in a reasonable place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom