What are the best fins and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will throw in another vote in for OMS Slipstreams; They're great fins, stiff yet flexible with a lot of power and great for doing all types of kicks.

They're lot much lighter/more neutral than Jet Fins and I like them when diving wet. When I dive dry I prefer Jet Fins or actually (you'll all laugh at me but..) Aqualung Rocket Fins (which are known to be some of the worst fins) I like having heavy fins when I dive dry but it's more of a personal preference since I also don't like ankle weights.

Actually, I strongly discourage students from buying split fins, for a reason which is quite specific to new divers. One of the biggest problems I see people have is finding stability in the water with a tall, negative keel on their back. The tendency to turn turtle results in a ton of hand-waving and spastic kicking. Split fins are VERY bad as stabilizers; a long, stiff blade fin allows students to stay upright much more easily, and they get much quieter and less stressed in the water.

I do not believe split fins were invented to control bottom sediments. They were invented to make kicking easier. If you watch the water vortices come off the vanes of the fin as they flex and twist, you can see that it's very difficult to control exactly where the water is going as it comes off the fin. Yes, if you get into perfect trim and kick carefully, you may not do very much to heavier sediments, but over fine silt or clay, it's going to be VERY difficult.

I'd have to disagree with you , I use Atomic HE Splits and I love them. The amount of precision control is about the same as I had with a stiffer fin, yes, I see a lot of people saying you lose control, but perhaps it is because they have no idea how to use it. I can frog kick (without stir ups) in Atomic splits without any issues, backpedaling is a bit harder but, in my mind worth the efficiency gained on 'straight line' swims (which is the majority of my dives.

Also, it is a bit interesting trying to argue with natural design --fish's tale: every one I can think of has split fin :)

Also, it is a bit interesting trying to argue with natural design --fish's tale: every one I can think of has split fin :)

Fish fins comes in a variety shapes. Caudal fins are not always split. Here's a internet guide: Fins [text] - Hubbard's Fish Anatomy

I'll throw my two cents in regarding fins. Splits are really nice for swimming fast, and in a straight line. For precision control in caves, wreck penetration - they're the last fins I would use. My favorites are Jets, Mares Quattro, and the old SP Jet clones like AMF's and White Stag. Personally, these days I don't even like swimming and use the scooter to cover distance and save back gas if I am using OC.

Fish fins comes in a variety shapes. Caudal fins are not always split. Here's a internet guide: Fins [text] - Hubbard's Fish Anatomy

I'll throw my two cents in regarding fins. Splits are really nice for swimming fast, and in a straight line. For precision control in caves, wreck penetration - they're the last fins I would use. My favorites are Jets, Mares Quattro, and the old SP Jet clones like AMF's and White Stag. Personally, these days I don't even like swimming and use the scooter to cover distance and save back gas if I am using OC.

Agree. I laugh when people say splits don't work in current. They admit they are fast, but won't recognize the equivalent of relative airspeed in an aircraft.
My first exposure to splits was while diving with 5 friends on a palm beach drift. The float guy was in a hole up to his elbows before the rest of us realized it. 3 of us with paddles were struggling to remain stationary down stream for him to catch up. One woman with Apollos made her way back to him with ease. They work. I have a pair.
But for reasons you stated, my favorite fins are my US Divers original blades with homemade spring straps.
Having said all that, last week I had the opportunity to dive Scubapro seawing gorillas. I was never a fan of hinged/articulated fins. I had used the seawing Novas before and did not care for them. The Gorillas however behaved like a stiff light weight paddle....yet when I needed to turn it on they gave me what I wanted. (plus...bungee straps)
I'm gonna try the Gorillas again this weekend. Hoping they are "it".

I agree that there's no "best" and criteria can vary.

Have you tried splits? Personally in local waters some highly regarded splits felt like a bag of worms. For me that limited the field.

Are you concerned with travel weight? That can make some of the heavy rubber paddle fins less desirable. This would include Jets which I enjoy.

How committed are you to your boots (wet and/or dry)? Not every fin will have an acceptable fit any boot. Are you looking to have these work with multiple boots?

For trim purposes do you want nothing negative or closer to neutral?

We have had good luck with the Aeris Velocity fin (Now the X3) and I enjoy my jets too. My biggest issue with the jets is the lack of visible color.

A little bit of thought can narrow the field and that may help reach a good decision for yourself.

Pete

What brand and type fins do you recomend???

The best fins are the fins that you will use, comfortably, in open water. For me the best are JetFins, and TurtleFins.

Let me ETA the following, which in the past was on my website: dive gear is like guns and stuff; lots of it looks cool in the shop and works well enough for a bit (especially in the pool, or other controlled environments) but eventually you find it's not quite to your comfort. Therefore the best thing, if possible, to do is borrow or rent gear and use it often in open water before you buy it and wind up with tote-boxs full of gear you never use.

Last edited:
The world's best fins were manufactured by Farallon in the 70's. There were called the Fara Fins and came with a metal brace that secured to your calf. The resulting power, maneuverability, outstanding looks made this fin the ne-plus of all things underwater.

I would dare any manufacturer to re-create what was a superior design + save enough $$$$ for litigation costs due to misuse. :)

Cheers,

X fara fin.jpg

The world's best fins were manufactured by Farallon in the 70's. There were called the Fara Fins and came with a metal brace that secured to your calf. The resulting power, maneuverability, outstanding looks made this fin the ne-plus of all things underwater.

I would dare any manufacturer to re-create what was a superior design + save enough $$$$ for litigation costs due to misuse. :)

Cheers,

XView attachment 124548

I still have my old Far-along depth gauge.

I had the Farallon equivalent of Scubapro's "Bendomatic".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom