What are the best fins and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have three pairs of fins i use depending on my diving. A pair of v12 and a pair of v16 which i use in classes and open water dives that arent wrecks. I like them and find I can do flutter, frog and helicopter kick in them easily. Back finning is a little harder but if you find your rythem u can. For wreck/tec diving i use the hollis bat fin. Its a heavyer fin but man can you do some cool stuff! If you allready own split fins and your tryign to back fin and helicopter kick my advice is try turning your foot out a little more. I do tons of dsds and am in the pool with kids/adults sometimes 12-14hrs a week and its taken a lot of practice but it can be done ha ha

The best fin is the one that meets your needs, for the kind of diving you want to do.

If you do diving where precise maneuvering is critical (like photography, or cave or wreck diving) then a stiff, blade fin is perfect. These fins also work very well in conditions where avoiding silting is important (like in Puget Sound!). Stiff blades allow you to transfer a lot of the energy of your kick to the water, but as a result, ask more of your leg muscles, so moving fast in stiff blades requires pretty strong legs.

Similarly, if you are going to work in area where there is a lot of fishing line, danger of nets, or where you are using line for navigation (think wreck diving in low viz), having a fin with a smooth outer counter and fewer places to trap line is important. Most blade fins qualify here.

If you are going to dive where a broken fin would be a disaster, you want to avoid models which have obvious weak points, like the "pins" on the SeaWing Novas. (You may also want to go with spring straps for those conditions, as well.)

If you are diving very thin exposure protection (so minimal weight), you may want to avoid very negative fins -- in that case, something heavy like Jets is not ideal.

If you are spearfishing, or some other activity that requires moving very fast, heavy, stiff blade fins aren't going to be the best choice.

Right now, I am using the Dive Rite EXPs. Their combination of relatively light material, fairly stiff (but not board stiff) blade, and longer blade for foot pocket size seems to work for all my diving, from single tank cold water, to single tank warm water, to cave. But I have bought a pair of the Novas for teaching, simply because there are times I need to chase down students, and I can swim faster using them. And I have a set of Deep See Pulses for pool work, because I needed something ultra-light to keep from being feet-down in the gear I use there.

The only fins I can't find a reason for are splits. Yes, they're less work for your legs, but if you need that much reduction in resistance to be able to swim, I suspect you'd be better served by a fitness program. They don't move as fast as Novas, they don't allow the control of blades, and it is very difficult to avoid disturbing bottom sediments when using them, even when in proper trim and executing a good kick.

It's not that hard not to disturb the bottem. I kinda half drank the split fin kool aid but I knew what I was getting into. And the splits served me a long time as a advanced diver and a beginner dm and until I really started getting into wreck/tec diving did I really stop liking them! Even then if I'm teaching open water/advanced I still throw them on!! They are good for what they are and for your average once a year diver there the cats ass! Just because we're not all once a year divers doesn't make them a bad fin it makes us more advanced then who there geared towards!

What brand and type fins do you recomend???

I use ScubaPro Jet Fins for all my diving, Rec, Tec, wet and dry. To me they are a good all around fin. If you grab a pair get the spring straps as well.

The only fins I can't find a reason for are splits. Yes, they're less work for your legs, but if you need that much reduction in resistance to be able to swim, I suspect you'd be better served by a fitness program. They don't move as fast as Novas, they don't allow the control of blades, and it is very difficult to avoid disturbing bottom sediments when using them, even when in proper trim and executing a good kick.

I do about two thirds of my diving with split fins, does that mean I'd be better served by a fitness program? I'll keep that in mind during the next marathon I run. I don't need the reduction in resistance to swim, but it makes it less work, and more enjoyable. Shouldn't less work also make someone use less air? Also you are wrong when you say "it is very difficult to avoid disturbing bottom sediments when using them". That is one of the main reasons for split fins. Maybe you aren't using them correctly?

The OP was looking for fins for his kid to use while learning to dive. Wouldn't a fin that makes it easier and less work be an ideal choice?

I have 3 or 4 pairs of force fins (different styles) gathering dust, would be happy to sell cheap, PM me

Hang on to them. Force Fins closed up shop. The divers that like them are passionate and may be willing to pay more in a year or two when the inventory dries up.

Right now, I am using the Dive Rite EXPs. Their combination of relatively light material, fairly stiff (but not board stiff) blade, and longer blade for foot pocket size seems to work for all my diving, from single tank cold water, to single tank warm water, to cave.

This. I recently purchased a set of EXP's and LOVE them. Extremely comfortable, good power and control, inexpensive, already have spring straps, and they just plain work. I have not worn my Jet Fins since I got these, and I have quite a few dives on them now. I can't find anything wrong with them.

I do about two thirds of my diving with split fins, does that mean I'd be better served by a fitness program? I'll keep that in mind during the next marathon I run. I don't need the reduction in resistance to swim, but it makes it less work, and more enjoyable. Shouldn't less work also make someone use less air? Also you are wrong when you say "it is very difficult to avoid disturbing bottom sediments when using them". That is one of the main reasons for split fins. Maybe you aren't using them correctly?

The OP was looking for fins for his kid to use while learning to dive. Wouldn't a fin that makes it easier and less work be an ideal choice?

I agree for your average diver thats not a tec or a pro or very advanced split fins are the way too go! I will admit I bought the H!s just for wreck/tec diving but most of my fun dives and OW dives that I'm instructing i use the splits

Actually, I strongly discourage students from buying split fins, for a reason which is quite specific to new divers. One of the biggest problems I see people have is finding stability in the water with a tall, negative keel on their back. The tendency to turn turtle results in a ton of hand-waving and spastic kicking. Split fins are VERY bad as stabilizers; a long, stiff blade fin allows students to stay upright much more easily, and they get much quieter and less stressed in the water.

I do not believe split fins were invented to control bottom sediments. They were invented to make kicking easier. If you watch the water vortices come off the vanes of the fin as they flex and twist, you can see that it's very difficult to control exactly where the water is going as it comes off the fin. Yes, if you get into perfect trim and kick carefully, you may not do very much to heavier sediments, but over fine silt or clay, it's going to be VERY difficult.

I'm going to agree to dissagree but with that being said If i know a student wants to get into tec diving or more advanced diving i dont push the splits as hard but if Its an older person who doesnt kick good whos just diving one week a year or people that have had knee or hip surgeries Thats the first fin I grab.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 02:06 PM ----------

and maybe its just becuase i have 500+ dives on splits but id compeate with anyone in any fin in any situation except back finning with my V12s lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom