What are the best fins and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Sutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
What brand and type fins do you recomend???

There are lots of good fins. No such thing as "best" since it depends on what type of diving you will be doing and your personal preferences.

what is the best type of bike?
what is the best type of down hill skis
What is the best boot
etc....

I love diving with freediving longfins. I have some Beuchat carbon fibres that I picked up for 60% off retail. I was using them as a resort-diving videographer because you need speed to get in front of divers and whatever they're looking at. If I could I'd dive them all the time but they're not suited for guiding or teaching or photography. It takes a bit of time to get used to them and their dimensions and how to reverse-kick and all that.

Best all-round fins for me were and still are Avanti Quattros. The price is good, they don't weigh too much, they're effective. I bought my first pair in 2000- now one of them is going the way of a split-fin but that's not bad after 12 years of use.

When I finally get around to it, I'll buy another pair of Quattros without hesitation

I love my jet fins, nice and stiff with pleanty of power. If you're ever up diving Cape Ann and want to borrow them for a dive let me know.

If you're doing ANY type of tech diving, or videography or photography - get Hollis F-1's. If not, it doesn't really matter too much; I suggest going to your Local Dive Shop that you are most loyal too, getting they're recommendation, then research the fin on the net and make a decision from there. Building a relationship with the LDS is important imo, they are your support network. Why not support them?
:)
Safe Diving,
Bryce.

I have heard alot about Force fins, and would enjoy trying them out. I use a split fin, but find it difficult to do anything beyond moving forward no matter how I kick. I've seen others use them to good affect though.

Back
Top Bottom