What are the best fins and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhat like in skiing, you can put a novice in beginner skiis, and they can make lots of mistakes without knowing it....Put them in advanced skiis, or race skiis, and when they make a mistake, they have immediate feedback about it....And when they do something right, they can feel it much better. Splits mask everything good and bad, making it hard to be good, but easy for a bad diver to be "ok".

I swear, divers are sick in the way they have to stick up for something they use....if they use it, surely it must be good.

It is so easy to create scenarios where all this is obvious. We just need a big demo day over some courses or wrecks with all the performance issues being illustrated.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please stay on topic and refrain from personal insults

I have BioFins and ForceFins and Mares Quattros and Manta Rays. I have tried many fins including most of the jet style. All my fins are paddle with one exception. I don't stir up the bottom with any fin, and I dive in muck often. I like the Biofins the best, but they are heavy. I tend to travel with the Mares.

Ironically my buddy dives jets, but he is not the typical jet fin user! The jets fit him but don't fit me right. One of the least comfortable fins on me.

The Biofins are the fastest and easiest to dive. I liked them very much in heavy current (Coz) where some jet fin users were having trouble. They cramped and had trouble keeping up. Fortunately we did not do much cross current traverses.

Dive what you will, just do not tell everyone else what works well as we are all as graceful underwater as a dancing sumo wrestler! :D

All I'm trying to say is you can't say splits are a complete waste for every and all divers! I've already stated I own different fins for different types of dives and as a "skilled" diver I can use splits just as well as most divers can use there blades. All I know is you should be trying different fins in different situations. And let's face it there are lots of divers out there that won't put the effort into making there kick better so why give them a fin that will make there legs sore and give up on diving? But then again it is scuba board and I'm always wrong and the flamers are always right ha ha

Folks sorry for loosing my temper, You all have given me alot of great info.

Did somebody say force fins? Clark the Shark tests Force Fins - YouTube

Somebody should tell that guy he doesn't know what he's doing. Whats with the hands? :wink:

My left knee is getting bad. After reading this thread I may try to borrow a pair of splits for a dive or two. Good thread!

I just want to apologize -- I did not notice which subforum this was posted in. I obviously don't know anything about your local conditions. I do know about cold water and silt, though!

I just want to apologize -- I did not notice which subforum this was posted in. I obviously don't know anything about your local conditions. I do know about cold water and silt, though!

Cold water and slit are our local conditions! :)

I have BioFins and ForceFins and Mares Quattros and Manta Rays. I have tried many fins including most of the jet style. All my fins are paddle with one exception. I don't stir up the bottom with any fin, and I dive in muck often. I like the Biofins the best, but they are heavy. I tend to travel with the Mares.

Ironically my buddy dives jets, but he is not the typical jet fin user! The jets fit him but don't fit me right. One of the least comfortable fins on me.

The Biofins are the fastest and easiest to dive. I liked them very much in heavy current (Coz) where some jet fin users were having trouble. They cramped and had trouble keeping up. Fortunately we did not do much cross current traverses.

Dive what you will, just do not tell everyone else what works well as we are all as graceful underwater as a dancing sumo wrestler! :D
I attended one of Scubapro dive demo days here in Jupiter yesterday. Aside from testing products there were a number of clinics. One of the clinics was given by the director of scuba diving magazine's scuba lab.

I challenged him regarding scuba diving magazine's roll in the split fin conspiracy which has been perpetrated on the world's diving population. All their talk about speed of objects in fluids being relative to the speed of the fluid. All part of the conspiracy.
Several experienced divers in the audience were so brainwashed, they insisted split fins work well in current.
Even I fell under the spell as I believe my Apollos were the most efficient fins in a current with very little effort. (sarcasm :) )

Having said that, I demo'd the sea wing gorilla fins. I really, really like them; much more than the original Nova.

I attended one of Scubapro dive demo days here in Jupiter yesterday. Aside from testing products there were a number of clinics. One of the clinics was given by the director of scuba diving magazine's scuba lab.

I challenged him regarding scuba diving magazine's roll in the split fin conspiracy which has been perpetrated on the world's diving population. All their talk about speed of objects in fluids being relative to the speed of the fluid. All part of the conspiracy.
Several experienced divers in the audience were so brainwashed, they insisted split fins work well in current.
Even I fell under the spell as I believe my Apollos were the most efficient fins in a current with very little effort. (sarcasm :) )

Having said that, I demo'd the sea wing gorilla fins. I really, really like them; much more than the original Nova.
Wow. I wish I had known.... I would have attended and renjoyed being involved in the demos...and comparing to real efficient fins :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom