Wetsuit for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back. Did 5 days of 2 tank morning with a day off after the 3rd day. Did a night dive on the day off.
I wore shorts for most of the dives and when chilled wore a 3mil hooded vest.
I generally chill but not this trip.

Tolerance to cold is a personal thing, I personally only wear a full rash guard if water temps are 80+;

I wore shorts for most of the dives
I see people diving in shorts and Ts, including my chosen dive op owner. He dove like that in Roatan when I first met him and still does. Maybe they don't react to the hydroids as much. I have to grow new skin when I encounter one.
I personally only wear a full rash guard if water temps are 80+;
Rash guards are cheap and do offer a lot of protection. You'd think that everyone would wear those, but I do see a lot of exposed legs and arms. So do the doctors on the island.
when chilled wore a 3mil hooded vest.
I was surprised that I got chilled in Roatan waters last summer, but was glad I took my beanie. It helped. Maybe it's me being an old coot? TSA has recently let me wear my shoes thru security. :cool:

Perhaps you run hotter than I do, but I do believe in loss of body core temperature, or at least the feeling of it. It might only be a fraction of a degree but I certainly do feel it. Out of curiosity have you done repetitive dives in 50-ish degree F water? Those chill my body core, even wearing my hooded 8/7 wetsuit with a 3 mil vest underneath. Takes me several hours to warm back up.

I'm not saying anything about the "feeling" of it. Feeling cold day after day might mentally wear you down where your mental endurance of it is less.

But there is a name for loss of core temp... hypothermia. It can cause organ failure and death. Your body is designed to prevent this at all costs. It will first sacrifice your extremeties, cutting off blood flow to preserve that warmth for the core. Then your limbs. And even if your core temp did drop, let's say to 96 degrees, getting back into a warm environment for a few hours is going to restore it. Your body is going to suck every bit of available heat to bring the core back to normal. There is just no way in physics your surrounding body can be warmed to 98 degrees for hours and not end up 98 degrees to the bone. Your core doesn't live in a Yeti.

I'm not saying your body core won't be chilled after repetitive dives in 50 degree water but as you said, you warm back up in several hours. What I am contesting is the idea that you cannot warm back up overnight to start the next day at the same point you started today. Obviously, you have to get back into a warm environment so if you get chilled, don't go to the hotel and spend several more hours in the pool then sleep in a room with the AC cranked to lowest setting to where you're shivering all night. Go sit in the sun until you start to sweat. Sweating is the body's attempt to cool a core temp that is too high.

I see people diving in shorts and Ts, including my chosen dive op owner. He dove like that in Roatan when I first met him and still does. Maybe they don't react to the hydroids as much. I have to grow new skin when I encounter one.

Rash guards are cheap and do offer a lot of protection. You'd think that everyone would wear those, but I do see a lot of exposed legs and arms. So do the doctors on the island.

I was surprised that I got chilled in Roatan waters last summer, but was glad I took my beanie. It helped. Maybe it's me being an old coot? TSA has recently let me wear my shoes thru security. :cool:

I've never had a problem with anything in the water except an occasional coral scrape on the knee but that's my own dumb fault and a reminder to be more aware.

Rash guards can be a pain to get on and off (relative to not having to do it at all) but are a good solution. The problem for me is finding a good fit.

Rash guards can be a pain to get on and off
Thin, synthetic socks make it easier as well as protect against floating hydroids.
The problem for me is finding a good fit.
And don't stretch them on removal.

I always bring 2 wetsuits when i dive. I like having a dry on to put on for the 2nd dive. In the summer I start with a sharkskin fleece, it’s about a 2 and I use a 3 on the 2nd dive. I wear a hat or a beanie not so much for warmth but for hair management. In the winter I use 5s and add a vest fit the 2nd dive. Much rather feel a little warm than be cold.

It's all about how your body deals with the temps. I run chilly. I dove with a 3mm and vest in 80 degrees in March, but will be in rash guards in July. Also I always wear something that covers me from head to toe to protect me from the occasional jelly or somehow being pushed into a coral or something that might sting (it happens). Your surface intervals will be pretty warm/hot, so what you lose during the dive you will maybe make up for during the SI. Have fun!

Individual temperature comfort while diving is a highly personal attribute. There is no one size fits all. The current surface temperature in Coz shows about 82 degrees:
Cozumel ocean water temperature today | Mexico
Cooler obviously as you descend. If you are able to manage the weight, you could bring your shorty and a full suit. Easier to cool off then to warm up in my opinion! :)

Personal tolerances usually depend on what one is used to. I hate getting cold and dive a 1 mil full suit summers, add a 3 mil shorty in winter, and carry a beanie I may add. YMMV.

So you don't experience cold? You live far enough north that I guess you do in regular life, even at 52 feet elevation. I'd think your 2.5mm shortie would be more than enough, but you'll be okay in the water and can always remove it on SIs. I wear a long suit to avoid burns from floating hydroids and only add the shorty over it if needed, and would suggest the same for you.

I think your feet will get hot in 7mil boots. Sometimes I forget to change from my canvas boarding shoes and dive those with no problem, but then I wear nylon socks that protect my ankles from the floaties.

As you're from Canada, I'd think that would be too much, but tolerances vary.
I like to stay warm even if it snows here. I rather have to let water in my wetsuit once in a while than have to shiver on the way out. Last time I went to Mexico during the winter I would have used a 5mm if I had one, especially on the longer dives. I dont move around that much during dives but that's me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom