Wetsuit for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Cozumel yesterday. It is hot as Hades in the sun with a ton of humidity. Water temp was approximately 84 at the surface and 80-81 at most dive depths over 50ft. I always wear a rashguard , 3 mil shorty, and 3 mil booties year round there. The water was nice this trip!

I think getting "too warm" is a myth, lol. Even at it's warmest, the water is 12 degrees below your body temperature and much more conductive than air.

I think loss of "core temp" is a myth, too.
I get uncomfortably warm in any suit thicker than my 1mm when the water temp is 85 or above (i.e. summer in Coz.) I also found that when I used a 3mm in the winter in Coz (when the water temp was around 79) every day for a week, I would dive the morning and need to sleep in the afternoon. Some years ago I switched to a 5mm in the winter and didn't feel tired in the afternoon (been diving the 5mm since.)

Everyone is different, but I've certainly felt the "too warm" and I'm guessing my fatigue was related to a drop in my core temp (with the 3mm vs the 5mm.) My test wasn't scientific, but there was a distinct different in how I felt between using the two suits, and all other factors were more or less the same.

Just got back from Cozumel yesterday. It is hot as Hades in the sun with a ton of humidity. Water temp was approximately 84 at the surface and 80-81 at most dive depths over 50ft.
Thanks for the report, heading there in four weeks. Expect the water temp will be a couple degrees warmer by then. Air temp in Coz are a little cooler right now than here at home.

I get uncomfortably warm in any suit thicker than my 1mm when the water temp is 85 or above (i.e. summer in Coz.) I also found that when I used a 3mm in the winter in Coz (when the water temp was around 79) every day for a week, I would dive the morning and need to sleep in the afternoon. Some years ago I switched to a 5mm in the winter and didn't feel tired in the afternoon (been diving the 5mm since.)

Everyone is different, but I've certainly felt the "too warm" and I'm guessing my fatigue was related to a drop in my core temp (with the 3mm vs the 5mm.) My test wasn't scientific, but there was a distinct different in how I felt between using the two suits, and all other factors were more or less the same.

If you had a thermometer, what empirical temperature of your skin do you think "too warm" would be?

I wear a long sleeve rash guard and a pair of knee length board shorts for some physical protection.

I burn up on the surface in a wetsuit in the Cozumel heat/sun/humidity and find myself overheating and getting nauseous. I personally feel the overheating on the surface can't be good when combined with potential DCS so I avoid it.

Thank you everyone for your response. I decided to bring both my 3mm shortie (which I will wear a rash long sleeve guard on top). In addition, I purchased a 3/2 full wetsuit - which I will bring along just in case I get cold. I also bought a lightweight hoodie.

It is warm water diving at around 83-84F. The big 'but' in this is loss of core temp over a solid week of diving.

Any citation for the "loss of core temperature"? Sure, I can understand that immediately after surfacing, maybe it takes a few hours after drying off, but I really question whether a typical schedule of two 75min dives and out of the water by 1PM really affects body core temperature until the next morning, much less has a cumulative affect.
https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/why-are-we-cold-after-multiple-days-of-diving.555499/
Still wondering.

Everybody is different and each has their own temperature tolerance. Personally I wear full 3mm year round with the added benefit of a rash guard.

I wear a 5mm in Cozumel. And a 2mm beanie hood. And a heated shirt.

Yes, I get cold easily.

No, I don't feel cold the next morning, even after a week of diving daily and sleeping with air conditioning.

Yes, I get cold easily.
I used to know a woman who wore a drysuit diving Cozumel. Different folks have different needs and experiences.

I've never noticed getting chilled after several days of diving, but then I am a coffee hound so that may help. With Cozumel in the 80s every day and high 70s at night, I don't see much of a risk for most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom