Wetsuit for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wear a 3mm full suit for the reasons mentioned above by gopbroek.

I was wondering if a 2.5mm shortie would be good. Will I be too hot or cold with that protection? I will also be wearing 7mm booties - although I am debating on purchasing some thinner booties. I usually dive the California coast in a drysuit for multiple dives for multiple days.

Also debating on whether I should purchase a new BCD (ScubaPro Hydros Pro?) or bring my BPW (heavy). Thoughts?

Wow. I thought a 3mm full suit would be too warm. I was debating on purchasing a 1mm or 2mm full suit. Now you have me worried.

I see a lot of people with 3mm fulls during the summer months in Cozumel; pretty common. As to whether it might be too much in terms of warmth, that would obviously depend on you. Personally, I would probably be fine with the warmth of a 3mm full, but don't wear one due to the inherent buoyancy. I typically wear a 0.5mm full w/ 2.0mm hood in summer, and 95% of the time this is plenty for me. Regardless of thickness, IMHO I would recommend always wearing a full suit. The drift diving in Cozumel has a lot of variety, and you could be exposed to a equally wide variety of conditions/circumstances that you might want to guard against.

I would stick with your BP/W because these are perfect for the diving conditions in Cozumel. Additionally, it is equipment you are familiar with and the buoyancy profile would be a good counter to wearing a 3mm suit and may help reduce the amount of ballast you require, depending on the type of tank you'll be using. I would also consider leaving the booties and open-heel fins at home and investing in a good set of full-foot fins, but that's just me. :)

Hope this is helpful!

I wear a 3mm shorty with a 3mm vest and neoprene cap as needed. I know some people have had problems with cnidocytes but I've never had a problem. I like the shorty because it's easy to don and doff.

I wear a 3mm shorty with a 3mm vest and neoprene cap as needed. I know some people have had problems with cnidocytes but I've never had a problem. I like the shorty because it's easy to don and doff.
I wear a 3mm shorty over a dive skin.

Wow. I thought a 3mm full suit would be too warm. I was debating on purchasing a 1mm or 2mm full suit. Now you have me worried.

I think getting "too warm" is a myth, lol. Even at it's warmest, the water is 12 degrees below your body temperature and much more conductive than air.

Personally, I dive swim trunks and lycra shirt down to 75 degrees so Coz is never a thermal challenge. Sometimes I'll wear a 1mm there in the winter months. The coldest part is on the surface in the winter months or rainy windy days. I always dive barefoot. I hate neoprene and would rather be a little cool than deal with it.

I think loss of "core temp" is a myth, too.

I have always been a bit skeptical about that, myself. One thing, though, when you feel cold you are feeling the temperature differential between your body and the surrounding environment. It seems to me that if your core temperature is lower you won't feel as cold as you would otherwise in the same temperature water.

I agree with those who say bring a 3 mil--you're going to be doing multiple dives over multiple days and chances are you will get cold by the 3rd or 4th day.

But whatever you do, I urge you to at least wear a skin. I know, I know, there's lots of folks who don't and I didn't either--until I got absolutely lashed burned scalded by a jellyfish while floating in blue water at 50 feet on a 100 foot dive. It only has to happen once to make one a believer.

I’m brining a 2mm shorty for the ocean and a 2mm full suit & hood for the cenote dive.

Just my opinion, but it’s going to be too hot topside to have to deal with a full suit, especially for warm ocean reef dives.

A shorty weighs nothing, so bring ‘em if you got ‘em.

Perhaps you run hotter than I do, but I do believe in loss of body core temperature, or at least the feeling of it. It might only be a fraction of a degree but I certainly do feel it. Out of curiosity have you done repetitive dives in 50-ish degree F water? Those chill my body core, even wearing my hooded 8/7 wetsuit with a 3 mil vest underneath. Takes me several hours to warm back up.

Water temp is 84. Depending on how much Bioprene (fat) you have, you can be comfortable with a skin all the way to 5 mm full.

I wear a 5mm full, but have the back unzipped in warm water with sleeves and ankle zips open. By the end of the week my back will be zipped.

Back
Top Bottom