wetsuit fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cireson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have tried 2 wetsuits( new and dry) both are Akona Quantum Stretch. I tried an XL and it was too tight to zip at shoulders so I upgraded to a 2X. Now that I have recieved the 2X it seems very snug around the neck and seems to pull downward on my shoulders as well ad create a slight wedgie. I haven't got into the pull with it because if it doesn't fit then i need to return it. Problem is I have nobody to hep and no experience with wetsuits being a new diver. Having to order online can be a test! Should it fit like this dry and loosen up when wet or still need a bigger size?

The stock sizes do not cover all of the bases by any means. An athletic build can be as much of a challenge as a couch potato. Some middle of the road "normal" folks can have a long or short torso and variations of the human form abound. Brands do have different patterns between them and sometimes between models so keep trying. This is case where a well stocked dive shop can earn its keep. My other thoughts are here.

Online sellers do have their place, but I think a good LDS will be of a tremendous help for you. A good fit makes the difference between a horrible dive or a good one. By the time you factor in shipping costs back and forth it would probably be cheaper to pick up up at a shop anyway (lesson learned myself on that point). It shouldn't fit like that as others have already said. Check out a different brand or bigger size.

I have tried 2 wetsuits( new and dry) both are Akona Quantum Stretch. I tried an XL and it was too tight to zip at shoulders so I upgraded to a 2X. Now that I have recieved the 2X it seems very snug around the neck and seems to pull downward on my shoulders as well ad create a slight wedgie. I haven't got into the pull with it because if it doesn't fit then i need to return it. Problem is I have nobody to hep and no experience with wetsuits being a new diver. Having to order online can be a test! Should it fit like this dry and loosen up when wet or still need a bigger size?

When I was buying my wetsuit I tried Oceanic, Akona (2 different models), Cressi, Waterproof, and ScubaPro. They ALL fit me differently - even when they were "my" size.

I see you're in VA. If you're anywhere near the Manassas/Gainesville area, you might go to Coral Edge Adventures. They have TONS of wetsuits in stock. Some of them are Clearance priced, so they are really inexpensive. I paid $160 for my ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2. They still have a few of those (also in 5/4 and 7/5) left and they also have some WaterProof and Bare suits on Clearance, too. It sounds like you're about my size. I wear a XXL in most suits, though an XL in Bare. You might give a little extra attention to WaterProof. They are EXCELLENT quality and they seem to have among the biggest array of sizes (e.g. XL, XL/Tall, XL/Short, etc.).

+1 on everyone else's comments.

In my experience when I was buying my wetsuits, it seemed like Aqualung had ridiculously long torso and short limb proportions (for my body shape). It sounds like you need a longer torso, so I'd go try on an aqualung and see where it gets you just as a starter.

Just as others have said, suits can vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have a XXL 5mm aqua lock which has the super stretchy neoprene. It fits me very well (52" chest). When I wanted something for colder water, I had to go up to a 3XL Aqualung Solafx and it's tight around my shoulders. Find a dive shop and see what works best for your body size/shape. You can't rely on the "fit charts" to find the perfect suit either. If you aren't happy with how you feel in your wet suit, you won't enjoy the dive as much as you should (IMO). Good luck, Mike

1. Never ever buy booties, fins, mask and wet suit on line unless you know what you are buying.
2. A trip to your LDS is your only viable option.

1. Never ever buy booties, fins, mask and wet suit on line unless you know what you are buying.
2. A trip to your LDS is your only viable option.

I'll add gloves to that list although fit is not quite as critical unless dry gloves. Basically anything that requires a fit. Unfortunately the range of non mainstream gear here is pretty small so on occasion I've had to take a gamble online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom