How do I know my wetsuit fits? (Full 7mm back zip)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splashley

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone. I just bought a lightly used 7mm full O'Neill wetsuit and tried it on. I soaked it in cold water first and then climbed into the bath to put it on. Long story short, I was able to get it and zip it up with a lot of tugging and struggle. I suspect it hasn't been used in a while and therefore the neoprene was tight. I've worn a 5mm wetsuit before (a rental) and that took about 10-15 min to get on. This one took about 30 min to get on. My arms popped up around my sides and it was a struggle to move the fabric to fit properly around my wrist, ankles, knees and pull it up snugly under my underarms.

Do I return it? Or should I assume that the neoprene will loosen up a bit after a few wears?

Are there any tricks to getting it on easier?

Thank you!
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 2.09.38 PM.png

I'd say that if it takes 30 minutes to get it on and it's that much of a struggle then no, it doesn't fit. Even the 10-15 minutes it took to get the other wetsuit on is way too long (unless you have some mobility issues, like bad shoulders, that make it difficult). I can put on my 5mm full back-zipper in, probably, a minute at most.

It goes on much easier if it's dry. I suspect it's too small, though.

OK, I will bite, it really depends on size. Mine takes about 5-10 minutes to don and zip, but I am 255lbs at 5'11" with several mobility issues. If you are at my size or larger I highly recommend a lycra suit and lycra socks, makes the job much easier. I know someone will ask, 5 min dry, 10 min wet. When fit properly, you should have no excess material on arms or legs and be able to move freely in all directions. Limited mobility would indicate it is too small.

Thanks so much for your help and advice everyone. Much appreciated. For context, I'm 5 ft and 105 lbs. And this suit is for a liveaboard in the Galapagos. I guess I'll be returning it! Too bad!

You might want to consider a MAKO 7 mm suit. They require a quick application of lube on the inside, but you should be able to put the suit on in about 2 minutes with zero rush and with no struggle. these suits have an attached hood and are very warm,

We have a wide variety of suit sizes for both men and women and of course we have warm neoprene socks and gloves and a "boat coat" as well.

Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip!

Stay Warm!.

dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom