Well Crap....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you could put a DC800 or DC1000 camera into a DC500 housing - buttons are not in the same place. The DC500 camera was made by Vivitar and the DC800/1000 cameras are made by Minox.

For that reason I don't think you could install DC800 Firmware into a DC500 - and you might just permanently fry the circuits if you tried.

Your old strobe would work with with the newer cameras - you would just need to change the piece that holds the Flash Link to the camera.
I was joking about the housing compatibility. Of course they redesign the housing for new models. Just think about how many old housings there are in the world with broken cameras. But good that I could adopt the flash.

I am hesitant to say "outdated". I have a four year old DC500 and early this year bought the 1000. The main differences to me are, in no particular order:

1) less shutter lag--this is pretty big to me.
2) battery life--I have the old batteries but this appears to be solved as mentioned.
3) wider angle--I also have the wide angle lens for the 500 which also fits the 1000; I carry it but have not needed it except once or twice this past season due to the default being so wide
4) more secure/reliable attachment of the fibre optic cable for the flash and therefore more reliable flash.
5) more/better UW modes if you are not using an external strobe. I tried it once in Coz (normally use external) in about 25 fsw and was impressed by the color & clarity of the shots. That was by far the shallowest dive of the trip, don't know how it would perform deeper.
6) much larger screen is very helpful underwater for guaging composition, and also has a histogram if you want it--I find it useful because it's hard to judge exposure UW, and my strobe has a variable knob

Now, having said all of that, I only present it for information since I have experience with both. When I bought my 500, I bought the strobe, WA lens, extra battery, and carrying case (I think it was the Pro set at the time). Also came with electrical outlet adapters, care kit, etc. So this time around I only had to spend something like $450 to get the camera with housing and the rest is compatible (except the battery). I also bought an extra battery but have never needed it because the new ones are so good. If the strobe, etc., was not compatible I probably would not have upgraded. At this point I hope I am set for a while.

BD,
You mention that the DC1000 has a wider angle. I am typically in low-vis water & the wide angle is fairly important. I had a DC500 that I put a wide angle lense on & I was satisfied with the results. How does the DC1000 without the wide angle lense stack-up against the DC500 with the wide angle lense?
I'm still trying to decide what to buy to replace my melted DC500. If I can get good results without an additional wide angle lense to be fumbling with, that would be great.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:
"melted DC500"...? :confused:

"melted DC500"...? :confused:

Yep, That's what happens when your home is destroyed by a fire. I recovered the camera & it's accessories. The camera is melted but I was able to recover the memory card from it. The housing is melted, strobe is burned pretty bad, Wide angle lens is destoyed, the rest of the stuff is gone.
I'm trying to decide weather I should replace it with a DC800 or go with a DC1000.

Last edited:
Yep, That's what happens when your home is destroyed by a fire. I recovered the camera & it's accessories. The camera is melted but I was able to recover the memory card from it. The housing is melted, strobe is burned pretty bad, Wide angle lens is destoyed, the rest of the stuff is gone.
I'm trying to decide weather I should replace it with a DC800 or go with a DC1000.
Forgot about your fire. It must suck to have to replace so much. Used DC500s are going for less than $200 on Ebay, new for over $200. New DC800s are there for instant buy for $400, free shipping, with strobe for $700. You might call Karl at Sealife and see if he'd test your stobe for you. New DC1000s are going for $500 there, which I'd think is a better deal if you, since you're starting from scratch. One DC1000 Elite is less than $700 but may sell for more; closes in two hours.

Forgot about your fire. It must suck to have to replace so much. Used DC500s are going for less than $200 on Ebay, new for over $200. New DC800s are there for instant buy for $400, free shipping, with strobe for $700. You might call Karl at Sealife and see if he'd test your stobe for you. New DC1000s are going for $500 there, which I'd think is a better deal if you, since you're starting from scratch. One DC1000 Elite is less than $700 but may sell for more; closes in two hours.

You're right, it does suck. As far as my stobe goes; There's only about 2/3 of the head left (So there's no point in testing it). I was able to find a couple of new DC500 pro sets on Amazon & also on one of the links that you provided, so I provided my insurance company with those prices. The prices are high enough that I should be able to upgrade for the same price if I wait for a bargain. I'm just trying to do my "homework" & make an educated decision before I start shopping.

You're right, it does suck. As far as my stobe goes; There's only about 2/3 of the head left (So there's no point in testing it). I was able to find a couple of new DC500 pro sets on Amazon & also on one of the links that you provided, so I provided my insurance company with those prices. The prices are high enough that I should be able to upgrade for the same price if I wait for a bargain. I'm just trying to do my "homework" & make an educated decision before I start shopping.
Haha, correct. Not enough strobe left to test. Glad you are covered. Get all you can out of the insurance for the DC500 loss and use that money towards the newer camera, which is exactly what I would do if my insured camera flooded even, as I have it insured as a kit, full value - and that's my long term plan.

Having forgotten about your fire and not understanding the loss, I was thinking you were in the same position I am in: working 5mp on hand but tempted to upgrade. Totally different decision.

Good luck! :thumb:

BD,
You mention that the DC1000 has a wider angle. I am typically in low-vis water & the wide angle is fairly important. I had a DC500 that I put a wide angle lense on & I was satisfied with the results. How does the DC1000 without the wide angle lense stack-up against the DC500 with the wide angle lense?
I'm still trying to decide what to buy to replace my melted DC500. If I can get good results without an additional wide angle lense to be fumbling with, that would be great.

Good question for the sake of economy too. Since your WA lens is history you would have to spend the additional $99 or so to make the DC500 the way you want it. Honestly I am not sure how the math works here but you could probably find that on the web and use the each camera's specs and the WA spec and figure that out. Maybe someone else can answer it with a formula. I will also try to remember to test it when I am home by pointing both of them at something to see which is wider. I dive locally too so I can relate to the WA question.

BD,

the DC500 optics are 32mm to 96mm. the DC1000 is 37mm to 185mm. so the DC500 actually has a wider angle lens. you would want the wide angle lens adaptor if you got the DC1000. i have the wide angle lens for my DC1000.

the DC800 has optics of 28mm to 112mm. the wide angle lens adaptor doesnt help with this model due to the camera already has a wide angle lens. all you get when adding the lens is vignetting.

i would get the DC1000 only because it's housing is better. i've returned too many DC800 housings due to sticky shutter button. also, it has more megapixels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom