Well Crap....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok took my DC500 out of the case for the first time in ......forever....and the LCD screen is cracked...So what does a girl do now......I looked online for the replacement Vivitar vivicam 5340s...and they are just nuts for a 5 meg 4 year old camera ( $175.000!!!!). But I have every accessory known to mankind of course for the DC500. Any suggestions????? Any broken DC500s out there I can steal parts off of????

if you have all the accessories just get the $175 replacement..its alot cheaper that way than starting all over with a new/different system.BUT you may find that now is an excellent time to upgrade to a new,better system.

See that's the bad part...... I have a complete SP350 set up also....Just hate to not have a back up.....Then I lust after a DSLR.....sick isn't it?????

Where did you even find one? I don't see a 5340s anywhere on the web. The last one I bought came from England a year ago. I think everyone has given up on getting much for the remaining working models, few that there probly are surviving. Did you check with Sealife for a DC500?

I have a Canon A540 & housing that's been wet twice I think, I used to carry as backup. I can't get enough for that on Ebay to bother so it sits.

I have my DC500 and its strobe insured as a kit so when I flood the camera, I claim the whole kit and upgrade. It's tempting to stage an accident but I am too honest for that. I guess you've seen me suggest the cheap, 100%, no hassle coverage on State Farm's Personal Article Policy? I do have a 5340s & housing backup that will be available when the DC500 goes. :D

I did check online and sent an email to sealife. I will see what happens...I just hate to have an entire kit and no way to utilize it....

I did check online and sent an email to sealife. I will see what happens...I just hate to have an entire kit and no way to utilize it....
I understand, but that's the way most kits end up. I'm sure there is a worldwide surplus of good housings for all older models, and some stobes cannot be used on new models. Manufacturers know better and I am sure that Sealife regrets making the DC500 from the 5340s, then posting the firmware!! Really reinforces the idea of insuring the whole kit as a package to me. Saw where you located some on another thread; would be curious if y'all mind sharing the agree prices?

...given your other sunk costs, I'd just invest another $ 175 to save the rest of your investment...sure, it's 'old' technology and relatively overpriced as a single, isolated part....but how much will it cost to buy a 'new' camera and all the accessories instead ?

"...given your other sunk costs, I'd just invest another $ 175 to save the rest of your investment...sure, it's 'old' technology and relatively overpriced as a single, isolated part....but how much will it cost to buy a 'new' camera and all the accessories instead ?"

Scubafanatic..
The problem is I already have....But I keep the DC500 as a pocket camera and backup just in case......

I did check online and sent an email to sealife.

You may want to call them instead of e-mail. Until you have someone's direct address, I found that their response time is pretty slow from the general mail box.

Back
Top Bottom