Well Crap....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious; What is so "outdated" about the DC500 other than being able to replace it w/a new one? I am just wondering as it is getting closer to the point of where i'll be replacing my old DC500 that "overheated":depressed:
I used mine for 2 years & the only issue that I had was the shutter lag. The battery life was not an issue after Don told us about the 1200ma battery on EBay.
Other than the higher resolution of a DC800 or DC1000, Is there any reason to upgrade?

I am hesitant to say "outdated". I have a four year old DC500 and early this year bought the 1000. The main differences to me are, in no particular order:

1) less shutter lag--this is pretty big to me.
2) battery life--I have the old batteries but this appears to be solved as mentioned.
3) wider angle--I also have the wide angle lens for the 500 which also fits the 1000; I carry it but have not needed it except once or twice this past season due to the default being so wide
4) more secure/reliable attachment of the fibre optic cable for the flash and therefore more reliable flash.
5) more/better UW modes if you are not using an external strobe. I tried it once in Coz (normally use external) in about 25 fsw and was impressed by the color & clarity of the shots. That was by far the shallowest dive of the trip, don't know how it would perform deeper.
6) much larger screen is very helpful underwater for guaging composition, and also has a histogram if you want it--I find it useful because it's hard to judge exposure UW, and my strobe has a variable knob

Now, having said all of that, I only present it for information since I have experience with both. When I bought my 500, I bought the strobe, WA lens, extra battery, and carrying case (I think it was the Pro set at the time). Also came with electrical outlet adapters, care kit, etc. So this time around I only had to spend something like $450 to get the camera with housing and the rest is compatible (except the battery). I also bought an extra battery but have never needed it because the new ones are so good. If the strobe, etc., was not compatible I probably would not have upgraded. At this point I hope I am set for a while.

If the strobe, etc., was not compatible I probably would not have upgraded. At this point I hope I am set for a while.
BD, you have the Digital Stobe? I still use the older one so that would not work I don't guess? Thanks for your detailed comparison; very enlightening.

I'm sure that 10 mp would be nicer than 5, and the wider video is appealing too, but I think I'll just have fun with my currently owned model. :cool:

You know.....as easy as it was to update the firmware on the Vivicam to the DC500 program. has anyone ever used the firmware for the DC800 in the DC500 camera????? Hmmmmmmmmmm.....Wonder if it would work????

I really doubt it with the camera differences, and besides - what would you gain? You'd still have a 5 mp camera with the same lens.

True enough.....
"Mischievous has a name..." You just like getting away with things outside the lines. :D

BD, you have the Digital Stobe? I still use the older one so that would not work I don't guess? Thanks for your detailed comparison; very enlightening.

I'm sure that 10 mp would be nicer than 5, and the wider video is appealing too, but I think I'll just have fun with my currently owned model. :cool:

I've got the SL960D I believe it is. It's got a knob without stops to select intensity so it takes some practice getting the exposure right. What I've learned is that for example, in Coz I dial it most or all of the way down, especially if you are going to be reflecting off the white sand, and then at home for shipwrecks in the lakes where its dark, 60 -100% probably.

If you have the older stobe I am pretty sure it would work. Sealife would know for sure but if I remember right a friend had the one just prior to mine and it was fine. As you know almost all of their stuff is compatible which is very much appreciated these days.

As you know almost all of their stuff is compatible which is very much appreciated these days.
Yeah, like I can drop a 10 mp camera in my DC500 housing? I'll have to call Sealife and ask if my old strobe will fit the 8 or 10 mp as it would be nice to have more pixels and wider video. Used DC500s are going for $160 or so on ebay; maybe more in the spring...?

I don't think you could put a DC800 or DC1000 camera into a DC500 housing - buttons are not in the same place. The DC500 camera was made by Vivitar and the DC800/1000 cameras are made by Minox.

For that reason I don't think you could install DC800 Firmware into a DC500 - and you might just permanently fry the circuits if you tried.

Your old strobe would work with with the newer cameras - you would just need to change the piece that holds the Flash Link to the camera.

Back
Top Bottom