Alternative to Aqualung i550 battery cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for an alternative for the Aqualung i550 battery cover. The original cover was very brittle and cracked while doing a battery change. My LDS had a spare in a drawer that they gave me, and said that the brittle covers were a known issue. While in Fiji the dive shop attempted to do a battery change and cracked the replacement cover. I've spoken to my LDS and they keep saying the covers are not available, and I cannot find any online. Has anyone found a substitute that will work? I need to get a few to keep on hand.

I have the same issue and am hoping you get an answer. The clear covers seem to be the brittle ones and the newer black covers are reported to be less brittle, but I can’t find them anywhere. So frustrating

I have the same issue and am hoping you get an answer. The clear covers seem to be the brittle ones and the newer black covers are reported to be less brittle, but I can’t find them anywhere. So frustrating

Turns out my LDS had ordered some of the black ones last year and recently got them in. I got three of them but have not had a chance to put them on yet.

Here is a workable solution. I have had the same problem with the battery covers on my two Aeris Atmos AI computers, made by the same company as the Aqualung I550. When my Atmos AI battery cover coin slots broke (same problem as your Aqualung battery covers), I was buying the Aqualung covers and heating them slightly to fit the Aeris computers. Now, that I can't find the Aqualung battery covers either, I put a large glob of PC Super Epoxy on the battery cover, masking the entire coin slot. As the epoxy starts to dry, I reshape a coin slot, or more recently make a large screwdriver slot in the top of the epoxy mound. When that stuff dries, it isn't coming off the battery cap, breaking or cracking. I switched to the screwdriver slot to avoid having to deal with a coin and pliers. Both of my Aeris computers are fully functional with no leaks.

This PC(Protective Coatings) Super Epoxy is really high quality, industrial strength epoxy you can get on Amazon or at some hardware stores. This epoxy is great, and if you ever need to repair rotted/damaged wood, their PC Woody Epoxy is phenomenal as well.

Back
Top Bottom