Question Pressure test after battery swap? Aqualung i300c

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orestis82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My Aqualung i300c showed the first battery warning yesterday. I'm trying to source the battery kit (battery + oring + grease) but can't find it locally. Also, I seem to have foolishly misplaced the battery tool needed to unscrew the battery cover.

Out of curiosity, I asked a LDS if they can swap the battery for me. I was quoted a 30 EUR charge for parts + labour + pressure test (they would send the watch to a watch maker to put in a pressure chamber to test for leaks etc in a safe way).

I've never read of this procedure, and while it does seem overkill, it's a minor form of insurance without too high a cost. Given the infrequency of changing a battery, perhaps it's worth going with it?

First of all, the battery compartment on computers made in this century are separately sealed. If it leaks it'll short the battery but won't damage the computer, so I personally wouldn't care to pressure-test. That said, amazon has the tool and the kit for $20, so 30 EUR for that plus labour plus pressure test is quite reasonable.

Of course if you knew what size o-ring it is, you could probably get it for pennies at a local hardware store... if you even need one: I don't change mine on every battery change, but that's just me and I'm sure doing that will void your warranty, and so on.

Simple adjustable pin spanner works great for removing the battery cover. Battery is a CR2450, o-ring is/should be a 2-026 70. As said above, the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the computer in the unlikely event that theres a flood. If theres a flood, vinegar and a toothbrush will clean up the corrosion and the computer should survive.

@dmaziuk,

If you are being ironic, I am missing the irony (in which case I apologize for what I'm going to say). You are wrong about computers made in this century having a separate sealed compartment. For example, every single Suunto from the D4 all the way to the DX, passing through the D6, D9, etc. does not have a separate sealed compartment for the battery. Take Oceanic OC1, OCi, and OCS and you would find that they neither have a separate battery compartment. Nor does the Mares Nemo titanium, Sport, and Excel. I can continue with the Scubapro Mantis, Meridien, A1 and A2, and many more, but I think I've made my point which is: that every manufacturer recommends performing a pressure test after replacing the battery. They have good reasons for making the recommendation. You flood any dive computer without a separate sealed compartment for the battery and you will be looking at a paperweight. Even if you flood a dive computer with a separate and sealed compartment for the battery, but fail to open and wash it with tap water and vinegar during the first 24 hours the electrodes will start to corrode. Most likely beyond repair if you let it seat for just a few days.

Just ensure that your o-ring is reasonably greased and sealing surfaces are clean (use a loupe); replace the battery yourself and forego pressure tests. They're a gimmick.

When I worked shops as a kid, we never pressure tested any replacements; and I don't recall a single flooding incident, since I would have been the first to hear, having replaced dozens . . .

Just ensure that your o-ring is reasonably greased and sealing surfaces are clean (use a loupe); replace the battery yourself and forego pressure tests. They're a gimmick.

When I worked shops as a kid, we never pressure tested any replacements; and I don't recall a single flooding incident, since I would have been the first to hear, having replaced dozens . . .

I'd prefer to hear and go by the experts' opinion, it was all said by @DIVEWATCHDOCTOR above:

@dmaziuk,

If you are being ironic, I am missing the irony (in which case I apologize for what I'm going to say). You are wrong about computers made in this century having a separate sealed compartment. For example, every single Suunto from the D4 all the way to the DX, passing through the D6, D9, etc. does not have a separate sealed compartment for the battery. Take Oceanic OC1, OCi, and OCS and you would find that they neither have a separate battery compartment. Nor does the Mares Nemo titanium, Sport, and Excel. I can continue with the Scubapro Mantis, Meridien, A1 and A2, and many more, but I think I've made my point which is: that every manufacturer recommends performing a pressure test after replacing the battery. They have good reasons for making the recommendation. You flood any dive computer without a separate sealed compartment for the battery and you will be looking at a paperweight. Even if you flood a dive computer with a separate and sealed compartment for the battery, but fail to open and wash it with tap water and vinegar during the first 24 hours the electrodes will start to corrode. Most likely beyond repair if you let it seat for just a few days.

I'd prefer to hear and go by the experts' opinion, it was all said by @DIVEWATCHDOCTOR above:
Sure, @DIVEWATCHDOCTOR has a vested interest in using that pictured hardware, instead of as a conversation piece; or claiming that it's just a fancy 6 ATM pressure tester cum margarita maker.

It's your money; do as you please. I have been replacing dive watch and computer batteries, both professionally and privately, since the early 1990s without a single flooding incident -- all for the cost of the battery replacement kits, which have, lately, become pricey enough.

Battery changes were once just seen as a courtesy in shops and not as yet another dive-related price gouge . . .

Sure, @DIVEWATCHDOCTOR has a vested interest in using that pictured hardware, instead of as a conversation piece; or claiming that it's just a fancy 6 ATM pressure tester cum margarita maker.

Yep, it is all part of the great conspiracy by the dive industry to fleece the public. I am sure you say the same thing when a dentist tells you that you have to have an annual dental cleaning and/or check.

Battery changes were once just seen as a courtesy in shops and not as yet another dive-related price gouge . . .

You want everything a dive shop does to be a "courtesy" only to support your "hobby" and leave the dive shop to worry about paying bills and making a living by giving away "courtesies" for free.

Yep, it is all part of the great conspiracy by the dive industry to fleece the public. I am sure you say the same thing when a dentist tells you that you have to have an annual dental cleaning and/or check.

You want everything a dive shop does to be a "courtesy" only to support your "hobby" and leave the dive shop to worry about paying bills and making a living by giving away "courtesies" for free.
Must have hit a nerve, during one of your frequent root canals.

The shops where I worked always replaced the batteries, simply for the price of the kits -- and, miraculously enough, kept the lights on.

Most local ones in my area still do . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom