Question Pressure test after battery swap? Aqualung i300c

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shops where I worked always replaced the batteries, simply for the price of the kits -- and, miraculously enough, kept the lights on.

Most local ones in the area still do . . .

I don't know of any dive shop that does it for free and I know LOTS of dive shops. Unless they are NOT following manufacturers' recommendations and doing a half assed job.

I do annual check ups and frequent dental cleaning so I don't have root canals.
nor do I; no crowns either . . .

So glad that you know "LOTs" of dive shops. Your capitalization makes that so very LOUD and clear.

Is LOTS imperial or metric?

nor do I; no crowns either . . .

Good, I wish you many decades to come in good health, happiness and prosperity with lots of awesome and exciting diving.

Changing battery is no bid deal as long as you have the battery, O-ring and tool. Pressure Test? I have not known any photographer do that after placing their expensive camera/video into the housing. They are worried about condensation than flooding.
As for the size of the O-ring for i300:

Same as #4.

Pressure Test? I have not known any photographer do that after placing their expensive camera/video into the housing. They are worried about condensation than flooding.

We use the vacuum test system now in addition to the leak alarm. We're more than worried about flooding the housing, we're scared and paranoid about it. Housings get pressure tested whenever the housing is sent for service.

Changing battery is no bid deal as long as you have the battery, O-ring and tool. Pressure Test? I have not known any photographer do that after placing their expensive camera/video into the housing. They are worried about condensation than flooding.
As for the size of the O-ring for i300:

Same as #4.
Good point.

I have been shooting photos for more than thirty years and have yet to -- knock on wood or, more appropriately, milled aluminum -- flood anything, though I have seen a few pumps suited for housings, to "pre-compress" o-rings to create a seal, over the years. They come and go; though, thankfully with the advent of digital, we're not opening and closing housings quite as frequently.

Backscatter, out of Monterey, CA is currently flogging one of their own devices; though I more commonly just light a votive candle to Heilige Subal, the patron saint of expensive Austrian camera housings and moisture alarms . . .

Even if you flood a dive computer with a separate and sealed compartment for the battery, but fail to open and wash it with tap water and vinegar during the first 24 hours the electrodes will start to corrode. Most likely beyond repair if you let it seat for just a few days.

OK, so more reasons not to buy Suuntos.

Out of curiosity, when pressure-test a computer with separately sealed battery compartment, do you pressurize it in dielectric dye, then open 'er up to see if there's any colour on the battery? (Now I'm being ironic.)

Suunto was always an odd duck. When I first dealt with them, in the early nineties they had just distributed The Solution, through SeaQuest in the US, and forbade any battery changes, except through Suunto itself, with a six to eight week turnaround.

To further that aim, they even applied some goop to the screws on back, to prevent easy access to the battery; but when a few returned from headquarters, with either dead batteries; or, on one occasion, a missing o-ring, all bets were off. We did the work ourselves without issue.

Aside from that, it was a decent computer and I still have a few from back then; but it does takes an odd battery . . .

@dmaziuk,

Out of curiosity, when pressure-test a computer with separately sealed battery compartment, do you pressurize it in dielectric dye, then open 'er up to see if there's any colour on the battery? (Now I'm being ironic.)

@dmaziuk, Irony accepted. Now, the explanation. The pressure testing shown in my avatar is a Bergeon #5555/10 capable of pressure testing watches (and now also to pressure test dive computers by guys that take it seriously) and was invented to fulfill a specific request from the high-end (US$ 10K+) dive watch manufacturers of the Rolex Submariners, Omega Seamasters, Panerai Submersibles, etc. They waterproof every single unit before it leaves the factory and also each unit that leaves one of their service centers. Since they could not afford the luxury of having a technician as @Bigbella at each facility they needed a non-destructive and reliable pressure testing method in water. A simple pressure pot with water at the bottom and air on top in which you dunk the watch in the water, close the lid, pressurize the tank and simply cross your fingers hoping that the $ 19,900 Panerai Submersible did not flood is a "destructive test" and simply did not cut it for them. So Bergeon (a prestigious Swiss manufacturer of watch tools) came out with this ingenious (and expensive) pressure tester to prevent flooding and ruining one of those very expensive watches. During the first two or three minutes of the test, while the vessel is pressurized, the specimen under test hangs in the air attached to a sliding rod free to slide through the top lid (I mention Bergeon is a Swiss company, remember?). Afterward, you dunk it into the water pushing down the sliding rod that holds it. Two options: a) the watch leaks, in which case air at the testing pressure would have got into it without damaging the mechanism. If this is the case when you start depressurizing the vessel with a purge valve provided to that end you would see air bubbles coming out of the watch. Not only you would know that the specimen did not pass the test but also where the leak is (rear case sealing, one of the pushbuttons, or a crack or bad sealing in the glass). b) the watch is perfectly waterproof so no air got inside while pressurizing the vessel. Therefore you should see no bubbles coming out of it during the depressurizing phase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom