Weezle DrySuit Undergarments...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
If the Weezles have proven capable of creating such a fantastic failure, you should buy an undergarment that does not have this problem.

If "one guy" that I knew had a backpacking stove that blew up in his backpack because of a design flaw, I would probably avoid that backpacking stove and get one that doesn't have a tendency to spontaneously combust.

It's sound logic. The Weezles have a design flaw (or two) that IMO is potentially dangerous.

Yeah I know what you mean. I had a friend who had the inflator valve of his Halcyon wing blow out of the inflator as he opened his left post. Since then I have avoided products by that company.

wedivebc:
Yeah I know what you mean. I had a friend who had the inflator valve of his Halcyon wing blow out of the inflator as he opened his left post. Since then I have avoided products by that company.

Oh, please.... :rolleyes:

I dove as weezle for a while (an extreme) - it was OK, it kept me pretty warm, to the point that I didn't mind what a goofball I looked like in it. Then I had a few suspecious incident where I though it may have been clogging my dump valve - nothing as extreme as what happened to Eric, but enough to scare me. Then I picked some DUI 400g stuff - which is nice and warm, although I still don't feel it dumps all that well. My buddy dives the DC extreme stuff and (having tried it) it's seems to be as warm as the DUI C4, without all the bulk (espically in the legs and butt). But, unlike the DUI 400g which you can find on Ebay for around $100 pretty often, the DC stuff is big bucks - so I won't have any untill the fall.

Just my $.02

OK, I started this whole thing so let me jump out of it now.

I went back and forth for a while about the weezles. Ultimately, getting my drysuit undergarment stuck in my dump valve and skyrocketing to the surface is not something I even want to have a remote possibility of. I also was not too keen on having to modify a $250 piece of equipment right out of the box. While many people have praised it's thermal properties, I think that the risks in this case far outweigh the rewards. I also realized that I've done enough winter diving in a DUI 150 with a 150 fleece jumpsuit underneath. I haven't been the posterchild for mobility during these dives, but I was comfortable enough. So, I bought a DUI Thermalmax 300. I figure this will give me what I need, and like another post suggested, I got it on the internet for $109 (Ebay). Can't beat it.

It should arrive tomorrow, and I will be diving with it Friday and all weekend in temps that will put it to the test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Hey JimJam,

Enjoy the UG. Hope this thread helped a bit

JimJam:
It should arrive tomorrow, and I will be diving with it Friday and all weekend in temps that will put it to the test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Hey JimJam. Glad to hear you made a decision on this.

If things don't work out, may I suggest a solution that was less expensive and ultimately worked the best for my thermals?

I ended up getting a set of Helly-Hansen Speiz thermals. Warm as heck, thin, and wick moisture away like you wouldn't believe. Winter / Early season diving up here in Canada, all I throw on under it are a thin pair of stanfields one piece thermal underwear (like the waffle material). I paid a fraction of the price of what I would have paid for an undergarment marketed in the 'scuba industry'.

You can find it under Helly-Hansen's work gear line.

Cheers and Safe Diving! :crafty:

JimJam:
OK, I started this whole thing so let me jump out of it now.

I went back and forth for a while about the weezles. Ultimately, getting my drysuit undergarment stuck in my dump valve and skyrocketing to the surface is not something I even want to have a remote possibility of. I also was not too keen on having to modify a $250 piece of equipment right out of the box. While many people have praised it's thermal properties, I think that the risks in this case far outweigh the rewards. I also realized that I've done enough winter diving in a DUI 150 with a 150 fleece jumpsuit underneath. I haven't been the posterchild for mobility during these dives, but I was comfortable enough. So, I bought a DUI Thermalmax 300. I figure this will give me what I need, and like another post suggested, I got it on the internet for $109 (Ebay). Can't beat it.

Did you get your DUI Thermalmax 300 and take it on a dive yet? I just ordered the same thing today (Ebay $109) and should have it late next week.

If you haven't tried it out yet - let me know when you do. I guess it's a little late to be asking this question since I already ordered it - but hey - I value your opinion.

Bob

I have the thinnest weezle that I use in under my Poseidon Unisuit. I don't need a lot of undergarments with this dry suit, and I have found the weezle traps a little more air than what I am used to. I have noticed a little difference in bouyancy, due to the loft. also, you have to be careful zipping up your dry suit or you can catch it in the zipper. Overall, it drys quick, keeps you warm when wet, and works great. It costs a bunch!

scubabob123:
Did you get your DUI Thermalmax 300 and take it on a dive yet? I just ordered the same thing today (Ebay $109) and should have it late next week.

If you haven't tried it out yet - let me know when you do. I guess it's a little late to be asking this question since I already ordered it - but hey - I value your opinion.

Bob

Bob-
Have you had any luck finding a drysuit yet?? The thermalmax 300 is...OK. I've put about 20 dives on it now and it has performed pretty well. I've gotten down to 40 degrees and I was cursing it out because I was cold...but then I realized that I was below what they say is comfortable for this suit. I would say that you probably don't want to get much colder than 45, as the MFG recommends. I decided against the weezle because of the risk of valve malfunction, and although the risk might be slight, I didn't want to chance it. I also got the thermalmax for the same price as you...probably from the same dealer, and you just can't beat the price. Everyone says the 400gm thinsulate suit is the cat's *****, and it probably is but it is beaucoup $$$. But, overall the thermalmax is comfortable and it performs well.

Back
Top Bottom