Wearing mask backwards on forehead

Do you wear your mask backwards on your forehead while at the surface?

• Yes

Votes: 66 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 59.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm in the water my mask is on my face. If I'm out of the water it is either on, in my hand, clipped off, or carefully stored.

Several reasons for the mask being ON in the water.
1. Safest place for it. Especially if in rough water or surf. (I'm primarily a California shore diver)
2. Can see if I need to put my face in the water - actually in my case I can see clearly period (strong Rx)
3. Keeps water out of my nose. Also I keep my snorkel in my mouth unless I'm on my back - then contrary to training, my snorkel is out of my mouth - Breathing Water Really Ain't Fun.
4. I won't forget to put it on when descending. Don't laugh, I've seen a lot of people try.

Out of the water my mask is usually still on. I'm pretty nearsighted (20/400 with astigmatism) without glasses. Please don't confuse this with blind - I'm still fully functional even without lenses. If off my face I'm VERY possessive of my mask. You should have seen me as the rescue class 'victim'. When my mask was removed the 'victim' came alive long enough to get a 'death grip' on it then lapsed back into 'unconsciousness'.

A lot of my feelings relate to the rough water environment. I've seen a lot of lost masks when they were on a forehead. Not sure if they are safer turned around. But if you are in pool like conditions who cares?

Later I read on SB that a mask on the forehead is a distress signal taught by PADI (I have no idea whether or not this is correct).

I was taught in my PADI OW and AOW just last year to never put your mask on your forehead because its a sign of distress.

All right, let's start by dispelling this nonsense. If you read the PADI materials carefully, you will see a whole lot of signs that, put together, give you clues that a diver is in distress. One of those signs is equipment rejection. A diver in distress may try to discard the mask, in which case he mask may end up on the forehead. Put all signs together, and you may have enough to determine that the diver is in distress. If you see a buddy team chatting amiably on the surface with their masks propped carefully on their foreheads, you would have to be a total idiot to think they are in distress. Unfortunately, the "old wives tale" that a mask on the forehead is by itself a sign of distress has been around for so long that it has taken on a life of its own and is repeatedly endlessly by instructors who heard it themselves while learning to dive. PADI does not in any way officially endorse the concept, but it (sadly) does little to dispel the unfortunate lunacy.

As for me, when I am gearing up and heading for the water, I will frequently wear my mask turned backward on the forehead. That is because I have lots of things to carry, and I don't want my mask to be one of them. I feel that a mask placed forward on the head, with the strap low and the mask high on the forehead, can slide off too easily and be dropped, perhaps in the water where it will sink into the abyss. I usually don't carry it around the neck because I am one of those people with the bungeed alternate (and a dry suit), and it is uncomfortable having all that there. When I wear it backwards on my forehead, the strap goes on the forehead, and the mask is on the back of my neck, at a downward angle. It is not likely to be knocked off.

The bungied second should be at a point that one may get it positioned without the use of one's hands. Hand off the primary, dip head, breathe out to clear, breathe in.

Are you using one of the puck types?

Yes I am.

When we first started diving, everyone wore the mask on the forehead, just like in Sea Hunt. It was only years later that we were being told this was seen as a possible sign of diver in destress.

I do not wear mine on either the front or the back of my head, as I feel either position is asking to have it swept off in waves. I pull mine down around my neck, where I know where it is, and that it won't be missing when I want it. Just my own personal choice.

I bet it's the same people who wear their Base ball caps backwards who started this trend !

I'd have my testicles removed with rusty cheese wire before I wore a baseball cap backwards...

n685786575_1870227_1657.jpg

1) It's comfortable.
2) Mask can be quickly rotated into position with one hand.
3) It doesn't strain the mask strap.
4) It doesn't steam up the mask.
5) It doesn't interfere with long hose or bungee necklace back-up.
6) It's secure.
7) It allows me to communicate easier on the surface.
8) It gives my face a break, when I'm spending 4+ hours a day in the water.

I wear it here once I kit up... up until the point I am ready to enter the water, then it goes into place. It stays in place until after I surface from the dive. If the water is choppy, or if I will be getting directly out of the water, it stays in place until I have exited. If I am spending a while on the surface (surface swim, or teaching), then I'll move it around backwards.

Sometimes I'll clip off my mask to a double-ender I keep on my right shoulder d-ring. It all depends if I have cause to believe that I'll need to re-fit the mask, or not.

I don't put it (forwards) on my forehead, because it's less comfortable and more easy to lose. I don't regard the 'mask on forehead is a sign of panic' as anything more than a moronic 'scuba myth' that is pandered by inexperienced instructors who've never dealt with a panicked diver and have a habit of regurgitating nonsense without questioning it.

I don't care where other divers keep their masks, even students. If they're using a rental mask, then -at most- I'll warn them of the dangers of losing the mask if it raised on the forehead...and that they'd have to replace it if they lose it.

In rough water you can lose a mask if it's on your forehead either forward or backward or even if it's on your face. I've lost exactly one mask. I was swimming on the surface in rough water. My mask was securely (or so I thought) on my face. A wave caught me from behind and my mask disappeared into zero viz water. Now until I'm ready to descend, my mask is securely around my neck. If it slips off from there, I have bigger problems than my mask.

As for bungied regulators, isn't the idea that it will be properly positioned so that if you need it you merely drop your head and pick it up with your mouth? If that's the case, there's plenty of room for the mask between the second stage and the neck. Not that I care if you want to position your mask where it can (however unlikely) be lost.

Yeah yeah yeah, We all know it's because you get ad revenue from the maker of the slap strap:eyebrow:. That big blue sleeve on your bungeed octo though is going to kill you :D:shakehead::no:.
And that first sentence of yours gives me the willies! :shocked2:
I'd have my testicles removed with rusty cheese wire before I wore a baseball cap backwards...

View attachment 100557

1) It's comfortable.
2) Mask can be quickly rotated into position with one hand.
3) It doesn't strain the mask strap.
4) It doesn't steam up the mask.
5) It doesn't interfere with long hose or bungee necklace back-up.
6) It's secure.
7) It allows me to communicate easier on the surface.
8) It gives my face a break, when I'm spending 4+ hours a day in the water.

I wear it here once I kit up... up until the point I am ready to enter the water, then it goes into place. It stays in place until after I surface from the dive. If the water is choppy, or if I will be getting directly out of the water, it stays in place until I have exited. If I am spending a while on the surface (surface swim, or teaching), then I'll move it around backwards.

Sometimes I'll clip off my mask to a double-ender I keep on my right shoulder d-ring. It all depends if I have cause to believe that I'll need to re-fit the mask, or not.

I don't put it (forwards) on my forehead, because it's less comfortable and more easy to lose. I don't regard the 'mask on forehead is a sign of panic' as anything more than a moronic 'scuba myth' that is pandered by inexperienced instructors who've never dealt with a panicked diver and have a habit of regurgitating nonsense without questioning it.

I don't care where other divers keep their masks, even students. If they're using a rental mask, then -at most- I'll warn them of the dangers of losing the mask if it raised on the forehead...and that they'd have to replace it if they lose it.

I don't regard the 'mask on forehead is a sign of panic' as anything more than a moronic 'scuba myth' that is pandered by inexperienced instructors who've never dealt with a panicked diver and have a habit of regurgitating nonsense without questioning it.

Your cracking me up!
It is far from a "Scuba Myth" but totally correct in pandering by inexperienced instructors and divers.

You and I both know the mask position and why it is mentioned and discussed is NOT during the condition of panic. The entire reason for the training is to prevent that condition from occurring. Panic is never acceptable!

Panic occurs when too much has happened for the brain to deal with, it is nothing more than every system of the body trying to take over in a chaotic fashion to save your life because the leader is unable to cope with all the input. It is discussed when we talk about chain of events that build and lead to overloaded conditions.

The mask is simply mentioned as something that can be a small irritant to many. In place it limits vision and restricts nasal inhalation. You and I have chosen to wear it out of position when we are on the surface because it does change the way we feel. When the brain has too many stressors to deal with and a major event occurs it is unable to take on another task and freezes. We eliminate stressors and teach others to help their buddies by watching for signs of stress prior to, during, and after the dive. By addressing minor issues as they arise, we prevent an overloading of the brains function, thus prevent panic in a crisis situation because the brain only has to deal with the main event. It has the reserve RAM, to steal a computer term, to recall the stored procedures and put them into effect. If it is busy dealing with a whole store of problems then it has neither the time or ability to deal with one more thing.

Since the mask is a source of irritation it will be remove. During conditions of panic it is ripped away, during classes and at the surface it is removed. Just look at your picture if it was not an irritant you would be wearing it in place just like your suit. By observing the way it is removed and the way our buddy is acting we can determine how our buddy/buddies are doing and feeling, it communicates in a way we understand.

The fact that you made a intentional act, removed the mask from the position of irritation and placed it into a secure location ready to be deployed when needed, tells your buddy and others around you still have reserve brain function. You simply communicated your OK.

It is not a myth, it Could be, and many times is, a sign of a stressor. If I was to see you flip it up on your forehead and immediately move to another action, I know your are stressed, your brain is taking short cuts to deal with too many tasks. As your buddy I can slow things down, stop them completely, or call the dive until you have caught up and cleared the list so to speak.

While it seems we all agree it has now become a lot bigger issue than what it truly should be, it is still a valid sign for assessing the overall condition of your buddy and team at various stages of a dive. It is not an indicator of panic, it is not alone an indicator of anything wrong. It is just a small piece in a complicated non-verbal communication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom