Wearing mask backwards on forehead

Do you wear your mask backwards on your forehead while at the surface?

• Yes

Votes: 66 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 59.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need to find a slap strap :doh:

great lively discussion...not always about the original topic...but still lively to be sure.

halemanō;6002114:
[c]

For me, it is forehead sunblock[/c]

Also, when "otter-ing" the glass stays cooler than if worn on forehead facing forwards. From my skiing upbringing, I was trained that the forehead is one of the body's radiators; you can control the body's temp by controlling the amount of covering on the radiator. So, placing the mask glass over the radiator, which is also mostly in the sun, is a great way to get the mask glass as hot as possible before putting it in the not so hot water we dive in, resulting in a fogging situation at start of dive.

I could probably go on and on, starting with the forehead "greenhouse" on the no neck overweight tourist in full wetsuit struggling across the hot sand to then bicycle kick with full foot rental snorkel fins through a few ankle biting surges to the drop down point with sweat now rolling off the bridge of the nose.....

This is one of the most practical and sensible reasons/explanations I have heard, and this is how I explain it to my students and other divers. Warm forehead next to mask glass = fogging when mask glass hits cooler water. Additionally, the strap or strap pad will grip the forehead better than it will grip hair when your head is out of the water.

If you'd just pull it down around your neck when not in use (as the California Gods of Diving intended it) you would not have a fog problem.:D

It's a cool factor.... period. Coolness, egos and strokes generally goes hand in hand.

wearing it backwards, also keep the snorkel out of the way so you dont get it in the eyes,
if you pull in down the neck, ok it will newer get lost, but you get the snorkel in the eyes,
a slap strap is a MUST, the look and feel and easy to use, makes each $ worth it.

wearing it backwards, also keep the snorkel out of the way so you dont get it in the eyes,
if you pull in down the neck, ok it will newer get lost, but you get the snorkel in the eyes,
a slap strap is a MUST, the look and feel and easy to use, makes each $ worth it.

What's a snorkel :D

Leave the snorkel in your bag. Problem solved.

I'm definitely a backwards-on-the-head wearer.

Somebody mentioned that if you're wearing a hood and you put your mask up, the slap strap doesn't grip your hood as well as it does your forehead. This is a really important one for those of us who dive in a hood. If the mask is worn around the neck, on the other hand, the hood can get all discombobulated when you try to pull the mask back up from below your chin and put it on. Oftentimes, you end up taking it all the way off and putting it back on anyway, so you might as well start with it around the top of your head anyway. And the fogging thing, definitely. Look at a forehead-wearer and 9 times out of 10 you'll see a completely-fogged mask on his head.

But nobody has mentioned this one yet... many folks (like me) don't like having stuff up against their neck. A mask tends to turn horizontal and then the edge of the mask hits you right in the windpipe. For some of us who wear ties only to weddings, funerals and job interviews, the hood and wetsuit neck is bad enough (makes me swallow uneasily just thinking about it) - a piece of hard plexiglass chopping at my throat is out of the question.

The picture did get moved. I has always started that new thread. Maybe you should stop posting in this offensive thread and start restricting yourself to that racism in scuba thread. You will be more comfy over there apparently.
Am I the only one who's curious about how the user in question even worked the offending post into the conversation??

I never heared that before; the dip you head to reach the bungied 2nd, w/o using your hands idea. ;hm:
I will have to try it next time I am diving. Thanks.
My Rescue instructor confessed to me that even he had a hard time doing this without using his free hand, and that most people do use their hand to retrieve the 2nd. Additionally, if you have inverted your 2nd to help prevent freeflow, it's even more difficult (nearly impossible) to do handsfree.

It's a cool factor.... period. Coolness, egos and calling people strokes generally goes hand in hand.
There, ajduplessis, I fixed that for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom