Wearing mask backwards on forehead

Do you wear your mask backwards on your forehead while at the surface?

• Yes

Votes: 66 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 59.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oahu_diver

Reaction score
# of dives
Can anyone explain this to me? I've seen divers wearing their mask this way and it makes no sense to me. What is the purpose? Is there a real practical reason for this? Or has this become the "cool" way of wearing it while on the surface? Is it a Tec Diving thing and divers wanna show off some kind of technical training even when they're diving recreationally?

I don't turn it around, it stays where it gets flipped up.

I don't know about other agencies, but BSAC used to train divers to turn their masks around on their heads whilst out of the water.

After a dive I used to slide my mask up to my forehead when at the surface. Later I read on SB that a mask on the forehead is a distress signal taught by PADI (I have no idea whether or not this is correct). Now I flip my mask around so that the strap is on my forehead because that is what the cool kids are doing. :)

I was taught in my PADI OW and AOW just last year to never put your mask on your forehead because its a sign of distress. Putting it on backwards is easier than pulling it down to your neck and safer than holding it.

When a diver turns it around it is an intentional act. You will never see a diver truly in distress turn the mask around. They are processing to many other thoughts for something that does nothing to make them feel better. The act of turning it around is simply a way of displaying to others you are in control and not under duress.

As mentioned earlier, one small sign of discomfort, or early signs of stress, is getting the mask off the nose and pushing it up onto the forehead so the person can breath more naturally. It is a natural act and a very large percentage of divers will do it at one time or another. Over the years, those that did not pay attention in class, were trained poorly, suffered from CRS, or just overheard part of a conversation linked the mask on the forehead immediately as a bad sign. As new divers became instructors, and only remembered pieces of their trainings the mask on forehead became taboo.

The mask on the forehead is not a universally recognized symbol of a diver in trouble as taught by some. It is simply a small sign a person will see early in stressful situations, the properly trained personal will notice it, assess the situation quickly and either start watching a bit closer, start moving in for assistance, or (and here is the part they all seem to forget) check off as natural and return to their normal activity.

I was taught in my PADI OW and AOW just last year to never put your mask on your forehead because its a sign of distress. Putting it on backwards is easier than pulling it down to your neck and safer than holding it.

You had a dumb ass instructor

last thing a diver in distress is going to do is to "carefully raise his mask to his forehead" when in distress.

A diver in distress is either gonna leave it on, or rip it off.

[c]

For me, it is forehead sunblock[/c]

Also, when "otter-ing" the glass stays cooler than if worn on forehead facing forwards. From my skiing upbringing, I was trained that the forehead is one of the body's radiators; you can control the body's temp by controlling the amount of covering on the radiator. So, placing the mask glass over the radiator, which is also mostly in the sun, is a great way to get the mask glass as hot as possible before putting it in the not so hot water we dive in, resulting in a fogging situation at start of dive.

I could probably go on and on, starting with the forehead "greenhouse" on the no neck overweight tourist in full wetsuit struggling across the hot sand to then bicycle kick with full foot rental snorkel fins through a few ankle biting surges to the drop down point with sweat now rolling off the bridge of the nose.....

I like, for example, to walk down to the water without holding my mask in my hands, because it makes getting my fins on easier. Putting the mask on my forehead has always seemed precarious, and around my neck doesn't work because I use a bungied backup regulator. Putting the slap strap on my forehead and snugging the mask against the base of the back of my head seems pretty secure and very handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom