Wearing mask backwards on forehead

Do you wear your mask backwards on your forehead while at the surface?

• Yes

Votes: 66 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 59.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like, for example, to walk down to the water without holding my mask in my hands, because it makes getting my fins on easier. Putting the mask on my forehead has always seemed precarious, and around my neck doesn't work because I use a bungied backup regulator. Putting the slap strap on my forehead and snugging the mask against the base of the back of my head seems pretty secure and very handy.
Can you explain how keeping the mask around the neck doesn't work with the bungied backup reg?

wish I was cool...like the back-mask-boys!!!
but i'd trip and fall and the coolness would be gone!!!!

I had to smile at this. It took me a while to realize my problems with balance when getting out of the water were FAR worse when I kept my mask on . . . because I have reading lenses in my mask, and the distortion they were causing to my peripheral vision that was trying to figure out where the next step was, was making my instability worse. When I start to get off kilter on exit, the first thing I do is check to make sure I haven't got my mask on any more :)

Can you explain how keeping the mask around the neck doesn't work with the bungied backup reg?

Unless one has a really long neck there is not enough room as the second stage lies close to the neck right at the base. There is not enough room for a mask to sit comfortably on top of the second stage.

Unless one has a really long neck there is not enough room as the second stage lies close to the neck right at the base. There is not enough room for a mask to sit comfortably on top of the second stage.
Guess I have a really long neck. :rofl3:

I'm another who just keeps my mask on my face (however un-cool). It cuts down on peripheral vision, but I've learned that my head swivels, and I'm quite comfortable with my mask on.

Many years ago I took a class with an instructor who wasn't happy with students taking their masks off at the surface. So next classroom session he made us wear our masks continuously until the first break in his lecture. We all learned to not remove our masks prematurely.

After that, the habit of keeping my mask on became so ingrained that I've been known to wander into a restroom still wearing my mask.

Where's the, "Who gives a hoot?" answer?

Or you may have the second stage bungie too long....

Probably guilty. My octo's not bungied right up against my neck. But it's not that loose either (at least I don't think so). Another factor may be that I'm using a slim dedicated octo rather than another full-sized second stage as my alternate.

Just to clarify though, how tight/short would you recommend the second stage bungie to be?

Now back to the topic at hand: The one issue I have with keeping my mask around my neck is that I often need my other hand to move the strap over the back of my head. Rotating one's mask to the back of his/her head and back seems like it'd be something that can easily be done with just one hand, keeping the other free for something else. I'll have to try it on my next few dives.

Probably guilty. My octo's not bungied right up against my neck. But it's not that loose either (at least I don't think so). Another factor may be that I'm using a slim dedicated octo rather than another full-sized second stage as my alternate.

Just to clarify though, how tight/short would you recommend the second stage bungie to be?

Now back to the topic at hand: The one issue I have with keeping my mask around my neck is that I often need my other hand to move the strap over the back of my head. Rotating one's mask to the back of his/her head and back seems like it'd be something that can easily be done with just one hand, keeping the other free for something else. I'll have to try it on my next few dives.

The bungied second should be at a point that one may get it positioned without the use of one's hands. Hand off the primary, dip head, breathe out to clear, breathe in.

Are you using one of the puck types?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom