Wearing mask backwards on forehead

Do you wear your mask backwards on your forehead while at the surface?

• Yes

Votes: 66 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 59.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must have hit a nerve!! Interesting how quickly people make things their own. I call it 2-stroke :rofl3:

Can anyone explain this to me? I've seen divers wearing their mask this way and it makes no sense to me. What is the purpose? Is there a real practical reason for this? Or has this become the "cool" way of wearing it while on the surface? Is it a Tec Diving thing and divers wanna show off some kind of technical training even when they're diving recreationally?

I wear mine flipped up on my forehead when it is not on my face. The backwards thing, I think that is style driven like all of the people who wear their baseball hats backwards, that makes no sense either, just like wearing a diving mask backwards. Someone saw it being done and thought it was cool so now all the cool kids wear their scuba masks backwards, dunno.

N

Doesn't everyone know that Kris Kross started this back in the 80's:rofl3:

Doesn't everyone know that Kris Kross started this back in the 80's:rofl3:
Not so. But I do wear my wetsuit crotch at about knee-level thanks to their inspiration.:wink:

I turn my mask around because just flipping it up on your head gives you a lot better chance of knocking it off. In OW diving they teach you to put it around your neck. For people like me that are built like a Staffy Bull, this will not work, so I flip it around. Much more comfortable.

I wear my mask on my forehead when on the boat or on shore...I would hope people can see I'm not in distress and in need of aid under those circumstances.

In the water I leave the mask on unless I have to adjust something...or am in distress.:D

There is always another option:

images

I put my mask on well before I hit the water and take it off well after I've exited. I don't place it on my forehead, over the eyes in the back of my head or around my neck. I've never lost a mask in nearly 50 years of diving. I also wear my mask strap under my hood in case the strap breaks. That's only happened once, but I'm a solo diver and need to deal with such things in a self-sufficient manner. Had the strap been over my hood, the mask might have drifted to the depths (except I was on the bottom already filming).

Back
Top Bottom