Wearing mask backwards on forehead

Do you wear your mask backwards on your forehead while at the surface?

• Yes

Votes: 66 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 59.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The discussion of racism in scuba has been split off and moved to the Pub. Note that in order to participate in the racism discussion you must join both the Surface Interval and Regulars groups by opting in through your User Profile page. Here is the link to the new thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pub/392850-racism-scuba.html
well if your going to move the conversation shouldnt you have moved the pic that caused it all?

See my avatar picture, in the water I usually put it like this if I get tired of wearing it (which I prefer doing), out of the water I usually carries it in my hand if I can, if not I put it like this or backwards in the same position.

Can anyone explain this to me? I've seen divers wearing their mask this way and it makes no sense to me. What is the purpose? Is there a real practical reason for this?
I have some fresh insight into the reasons for this practice from the mountain lion thread. In 1986, the government of India issued masks to rural villages who were plagued by tiger attacks. Tigers attack from the rear, and the masks were intended to be worn on the back of the head. After a year of use, no villager wearing a mask on the back of his head was attacked. During the same period, thirty villagers without masks were killed by tigers. I don't think you have to be a minor functionary in the Indian government or a PADI instructor to make the leap from tiger to tiger shark.

well if your going to move the conversation shouldnt you have moved the pic that caused it all?

The picture did get moved. I has always started that new thread. Maybe you should stop posting in this offensive thread and start restricting yourself to that racism in scuba thread. You will be more comfy over there apparently.

FL_blue_spring_peter_intro.jpg
here is my instructor Peter just before a cave entry in Florida :)
see where I learned the coolness in wearing the mask, the "right" way
also my mask band is VERY cool and must be shown off.

Thomas, I think you have it! Everybody I know who wears his mask backwards also has a slap strap. How else are you going to show off the advertising on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom