Warning to new Divers and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
New divers maybe struggling to get enough gear at the beginning and may also have what I call "diving brain" but at the blink of an eye 20-30-40 and even 50 years go by, and you realize the "diving brain" continues on the quest of getting diving "stuff".
Until one day is just in every corner of you house, cluttering your closets and no longer giving you anything but taking away. Taking away in the sense of space and the thought that it should be either be used or place somewhere visible so at least one gets to see it regularly, to get similar visual pleasure to flowers in a vase or a photo inside a frame. But when the accumulation crosses reasonable lines and the house is small, that is impossible.

On my quest of organization i just run into this huge box with "action figure" divers. G I Joe style dolls. There's maybe 20 or 25 in there. Why?
Why did i feel the need to get this many?
I do have a grandmidget now and as soon as he's a little bit older, he'll get them all . But he'll probably won't care much for them, doesn't matter his parents will have to deal with the box and we won't see where it ends up.

So this post is a warning for whoever hasn't already started the sick endeavor of accumulation diving stuff.
Don't do it!

PXL_20220717_163818993.jpg
PXL_20220717_163810157.MP.jpg
PXL_20220717_163753104.jpg
PXL_20220717_163837903.MP.jpg

I rent a small one bedroom condo. The tanks I’m actively diving live in my SUV. If I have something I’m no longer using, I’ll sell it. I’ve even given small bits and bobs away. I’m sort of a minimalist other than dive gear and books, and even then most of my books are now ebooks

This is most of my tanks. 2 AL80s are in the car and 4 LP85s are behind a chair. I’ve got a rebreather on order and will have to decide whether to keep all the 85s (I have 8!).
16E8960C-A4E9-49CA-B902-3B277466D68C.jpeg

New divers maybe struggling to get enough gear at the beginning and may also have what I call "diving brain" but at the blink of an eye 20-30-40 and even 50 years go by, and you realize the "diving brain" continues on the quest of getting diving "stuff".
Until one day is just in every corner of you house, cluttering your closets and no longer giving you anything but taking away. Taking away in the sense of space and the thought that it should be either be used or place somewhere visible so at least one gets to see it regularly, to get similar visual pleasure to flowers in a vase or a photo inside a frame. But when the accumulation crosses reasonable lines and the house is small, that is impossible.

On my quest of organization i just run into this huge box with "action figure" divers. G I Joe style dolls. There's maybe 20 or 25 in there. Why?
I do have a grandmidget now and as soon as he's a little bit older, he'll get them all . But he'll probably won't care much for them, doesn't matter his parents will have to deal with the box and we won't see where it ends up.

So this post is a warning for whoever hasn't already started the sick endeavor of accumulation diving stuff.
Don't do it!

View attachment 733670View attachment 733668View attachment 733669View attachment 733671
There should be a museum for these. Nice collection.

I have rent a small one bedroom condo. The tanks I’m actively diving live in my SUV. If I have something I’m no longer using, I’ll sell it. I’ve even given small bits and bobs away. I’m sort of a minimalist other than dive gear and books, and even then most of my books are now ebooks.
Don't get me started with tanks.... Neither my husband or I have taking a pony bottle with us in 10 years , why do we have 5 or 6 in different sizes? The 11 full size steels we use regularly use enough space,. but nooooo, maybe one day we may want the smaller ones.

Don't do it!

View attachment 733670View attachment 733668View attachment 733669View attachment 733671
oh I want things like that for my future dive center! I'll start looking now on ebay.

.. The tanks ...
Your neighbors must ask if you have 'Bell' collection as you knock the tanks together every week and they ding !!

,,,he'll get them all .
OHH, those are perfect for BHB photography and staging photo's. I do it all the time and you can get some hilarious shots.

IMG_4436.JPG

OHH, those are perfect for BHB photography and staging photo's. I do it all the time and you can get some hilarious shots.

View attachment 733685
I have to remember that when the grandmidget gets a bit older.

I’ll help you out and take that hard had diver :wink:

I try to get rid of stuff when I realize I won’t use it anymore, like the f1 fins that will be going to the dump next trip there, costs to much to ship to even give them away but tired of them taking up space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom