Wanting advice on place to stay & dive in COZ asap please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Coz Jan 22 through the 31st. Still haven't decided on a dive operator - It's all about the bottom time for me, and I think I'd prefer smaller groups. I dove with DWM when there in the past and was happy. Plus, it's always fun to get to know everybody else on the boat! Then again Aldora divers makes a pretty strong case to dive with them; but, they're quite a bit higher. Any advice? I think I'd like to dive twice a day, maybe three times on some days. And, I'm almost always up for night diving! I've enjoyed my best night dives in Cozumel.

I'm scheduled to stay at the Reef Club, but have read some pretty disturbing things as of late, so am concerned and open to advice on this matter. I'm travelling solo on this trip, so won't have anyone to share taxi expenses with - that might be another reason not to stay at the Reef Club? I like the town and think I'd enjoy trying different restaurants. So, I'll welcome recommendations on a reasonable, but nice and safe place to stay, centrally located (within walking distance to town) with a fridge, not in the midst of all the cruise ship passengers and night time 'parties'. I've stayed @ El Coz (North end) and the former Costa Club, both were okay with me.

Anyhoo, I'm travelling solo this trip, and am always open to making new friends in the diving community. I'm countin' the days -- anyone else??? Thanks in advance to all who offer to share their thoughts.

My dive op of choice is Blue XT~Sea, which would fit your criteria. I checked the website (www.bluextseadiving.com) and it looks like there are openings for the days you'll be there. As for accommodations, you may want to consider Caribe Blu. It gets really good reviews on here, is within walking distance to town (I believe), and the dive ops will pick you up right at their dock. I haven't personally stayed there, but have heard nothing but good things about it.

Big difference between Carbie Blu and the All Inclusive south end resorts. I like Caribe blue, but it is an economy hotel - a nice one, but not a resort.

Landlocked Missourian:
I'll be in Coz Jan 22 through the 31st. Still haven't decided on a dive operator - It's all about the bottom time for me, and I think I'd prefer smaller groups. I dove with DWM when there in the past and was happy. Plus, it's always fun to get to know everybody else on the boat! Then again Aldora divers makes a pretty strong case to dive with them; but, they're quite a bit higher. Any advice? I think I'd like to dive twice a day, maybe three times on some days. And, I'm almost always up for night diving! I've enjoyed my best night dives in Cozumel.

I'm scheduled to stay at the Reef Club, but have read some pretty disturbing things as of late, so am concerned and open to advice on this matter. I'm travelling solo on this trip, so won't have anyone to share taxi expenses with - that might be another reason not to stay at the Reef Club? I like the town and think I'd enjoy trying different restaurants. So, I'll welcome recommendations on a reasonable, but nice and safe place to stay, centrally located (within walking distance to town) with a fridge, not in the midst of all the cruise ship passengers and night time 'parties'. I've stayed @ El Coz North end) and the former Costa Club, both were okay with me.

Anyhoo, I'm travelling solo this trip, and am always open to making new friends in the diving community. I'm countin' the days -- anyone else??? Thanks in advance to all who offer to share their thoughts.

I went solo in Nov to Coz stayed at the Suites Bahia and dove with Bluextseadiving.com. Christi hooked me up on the hotel and diving. Suites Bahia is downtown no taxis. Great dining 2-5 min walk away. The people I met on her boats I will consider friends for life, got insta buddies Jake, Gary and Missy what can I say more. You dive your computer or air. First dive in the salt and after 1st dive crew made me feel safe and glad I was there and with them. You will not regret it. Booking in April week trip at Suites Bahia and with BlueXtseadiving.
Eric

I also will be down that time frame. Diving w/ Aldora after considering DWM. The price is higher, but the dives are long, boat is relaxed and DMs are great, at least Luis, Mateo and Memo who I have dove with. I chose the Hotel Aguilar on advice of a friend. It is just up from thier dock and aldora stows your gear. Aguilar is $40 a night. The one thing I do not like is the SI at Playa Mia.However,there is room to chill if you do not want to eat there.

There is quite a price difference between DWM and other dive ops there. If you're on a budget, stick with them. Their 4 day package includes a night dive and a dvd of one of your dives. A nice memento to have. From what I understand the price difference is made up by increased bottom time. I'm not sure how that works because on every dive I've made with DWM, I'm usually within 5 minutes of my NDL. I've read a lot of good things about Christi and Blue XT on this board and one day in the near future, I'm going to have to give her a try. Anyways, if you do dive with DWM, we'll probably see you there.

Just how much more is Aldora, anyway...?

Law, what did you not like about the beach club? A lot of Ops do SIs at them so that you're not rocking around on a dead-power boat in the channel.

DandyDon:
Just how much more is Aldora, anyway...?

Law, what did you not like about the beach club? A lot of Ops do SIs at them so that you're not rocking around on a dead-power boat in the channel.

Last I looked at their site they were quoting $87 for a two-tanker.

FWIW, with Blue Angel in 3 or 4 years of diving with them, we only did SIT's aboard a couple of times. Usually they take us to a pier that's not connected to a beach club. I have heard that the beach clubs are now charging a docking fee to dive boats, since divers don't tend to eat and drink a lot between dives.

ggunn:
Last I looked at their site they were quoting $87 for a two-tanker.

FWIW, with Blue Angel in 3 or 4 years of diving with them, we only did SIT's aboard a couple of times. Usually they take us to a pier that's not connected to a beach club. I have heard that the beach clubs are now charging a docking fee to dive boats, since divers don't tend to eat and drink a lot between dives.
Damn! A good bit higher than Blue Angel, depending on dive & hotel package. Yeah, I dived with the latter last year and we didn't actually go to the beach clubs, just tired up. I guess the lunch breaks at beach clubs would be with a 3-tank trip.

Aldora has and always will be my favorite. The extra money is well worth the price. They stop at one of the beach clubs for lunch and we always have at least an hour or more to rest, eat, shop etc. Our dives are always at least 60-90 minutes and they will go anywhere you request them to go for the dives You may also try staying at their Villa they will pick you up right in the front of the villa and bring you back there. It is well worth the extra money you pay. The dive boats only take out 6 people max so no large groups. And the villa is fantastic! I have also heard that Martin died a few months ago from pneumonia. its on his website. We have dove with them before and really like Martin, the only thing we didnt like was the bottom times were not very long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom