Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been compiling all of the data from the incident and recovery operation. As soon as we have the reports from the State Troopers, and the family has a chance to review it we will make it public. Please be patient everyone on the team feels it is important to make sure the community has an accurate detailed account of the incident.

No, he was used to diving the Spirit and was diving the Sidewinder for the RR dive.

Spirit has all hook ups on left side. His Sidewinder had them on both sides.

I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to the video where they re-did his Sidewinder (I use Dive Talk as background while I do boring stuff like cleaning often so I miss details) but there was definitely a focus on re-arranging things so he could reach various things better. So it seems plausible that some of those changes would be making it easier for him to check and verify what he was doing? (I mean, I know nothing about setting up a rebreather, I'm just using 'if it's set up more ergonomically, you can interact with it more easily' logic.)

I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to the video where they re-did his Sidewinder (I use Dive Talk as background while I do boring stuff like cleaning often so I miss details) but there was definitely a focus on re-arranging things so he could reach various things better. So it seems plausible that some of those changes would be making it easier for him to check and verify what he was doing? (I mean, I know nothing about setting up a rebreather, I'm just using 'if it's set up more ergonomically, you can interact with it more easily' logic.)

I did watch the video where they were reconfiguring Gus’ Sidewinder, but they didn’t get into the specifics of different hose routing. I just saw it being torn apart. They didn’t mention what specific improvements that were done.

I did watch the video where they were reconfiguring Gus’ Sidewinder, but they didn’t get into the specifics of different hose routing. I just saw it being torn apart. They didn’t mention what specific improvements that were done.

I dive the Spirit. Everything hooks up on the left as stock from the factory. I know several people who dive Sidewinders, but I’ve not had the chance to get up close to see how hoses can be routed on the SW.

We have been compiling all of the data from the incident and recovery operation. As soon as we have the reports from the State Troopers, and the family has a chance to review it we will make it public. Please be patient everyone on the team feels it is important to make sure the community has an accurate detailed account of the incident.

Thanks for contributing to enhancing the safety of the community.

No, he was used to diving the Spirit and was diving the Sidewinder for the RR dive.

Spirit has all hook ups on left side. His Sidewinder had them on both sides.
Ok, I got it backwards, thanks.

Condolences on the loss of your friend and teammate.

It should unusually for incidents of this type, be a pretty detailed accident investigation then, based on precedent set by previous scientific diving fatality in 2009, see Pg 139 https://archive.epa.gov/region10/diving/web/pdf/2013_aaus_esdp_diving_for_science-2.pdf

Being scientific divers by dint of declaration National Record Set in Roaring River Spring on the permits to dive…

And therefore seemingly falling under the US OSHA requirements of AAUS Diving Standards as a matter of best practice, noting it wasn’t recreational diving.

Sidewinder is a hell of a tool for some cave dives.
But none of the kiss units look even close to what a safe rebreather would be for new users, and someone who has been cave certified for 2 years is a new user no matter how many dives he had in between.

Sidewinder is a hell of a tool for some cave dives.
But none of the kiss units look even close to what a safe rebreather would be for new users, and someone who has been cave certified for 2 years is a new user no matter how many dives he had in between.

Why do you say that? (Genuine question, I know nothing about rebreathers.)

Back
Top Bottom