Virginia killings Moderation decisions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim:
I gave up smoking anything at all since my bypass. No sense in committing suicide by tar and nicotine! :wink:

Congrats, keep it up.
We call it "suicide on the installment plan." I'm trying to give up red meat, I have the shakes, makes me want to smoke a clove.

NWGratefulDiver:
... too many too eager to make assumptions ... it just gets inflammatory way too fast.
Oh Yeah!! :light: Them's fightin words!

:D :joke:

ok, two things

first, i am glad to see the Moderating team tyring so hard to keep threads open even when political discussions keep popping up. Kudos for that. thank you for taking the time to clean up threads and re-open them again.

as i see it, the Mods are trying to let us discuss some "borderline" issues whithout getting too far afield

again, thank you. that is very much appreciated.

and now (MB, i won't dissapoint you) the other side of the road:

the TOS is in place to keep discussions friendly and ScubaBoard a good place to hang out. if a discussion is friendly and getting people interested, then the goals of the TOS are bing accomplished.

the subject of that thread ought not to matter.

if a thread is friendly, civil, even if heated, and promoting good discussion, the goals of the TOS have been accomplished.

it makes no sense to kill such a thread to uphold the letter of the TOS when the spirit of the TOS has already been accomplished.

what does this mean?

threads should be judged on friendliness and civility, not on content.

not anymore. ScubaBoard has matured. we don't need the strict TOS guideliness enforced.

one more time:

the goal of the TOS is to keep things civil and friendly. if a thread is civil and friendly, the goal of the TOS has been accomplished, no matter the subject of the thread.

leave that thread alone

H2Andy:
the TOS is in place to keep discussions friendly and ScubaBoard a good place to hang out. if a discussion is friendly and getting people interested, then the goals of the TOS are bing accomplished.

the subject of that thread ought not to matter.

if a thread is friendly, civil, even if heated, and promoting good discussion, the goals of the TOS have been accomplished.

it makes no sense to kill such a thread to uphold the letter of the TOS when the spirit of the TOS has already been accomplished.

what does this mean?

threads should be judged on friendliness and civility, not on content.

not anymore. ScubaBoard has matured. we don't need the strict TOS guideliness enforced.

one more time:

the goal of the TOS is to keep things civil and friendly. if a thread is civil and friendly, the goal of the TOS has been accomplished, no matter the subject of the thread.

leave that thread alone
In theory I agree ... but I'm curious ... was the discussion that got cut civil and friendly?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
In theory I agree ... but I'm curious ... was the discussion that got cut civil and friendly?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was, right up until until the Mods jumped in and said "You can't discuss that stuff".

No one else except the mods had a problem with it, or at least no one did publicly.

Divergent opinions were expressed but exchanged with good grace.

That report button is so nice to some folks. . .

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah, sure was

the only problem was that the topic was "political" and thus against TOS

and if a jerk comes along and becomes an *** hole, then ban the jerk

don't punish the thread or the rest of us ... punish the jerk

H2Andy:
yeah, sure was

the only problem was that the topic was "political" and thus against TOS

and if a jerk comes along and becomes an *** hole, then ban the jerk

don't punish the thread or the rest of us ... punish the jerk
Fair enough ... I didn't see what got deleted. I have yet, however, to see a thread that degenerates into politics remain civil and friendly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Kim:
Well, I wasn't calling for politics to be allowed.....that's a different discussion. The point here for me is that I honestly don't see suggesting that a way be found to stop someone like this VA shooter getting hold of his guns IS political. It's just downright common sense IMO. From all the stuff that's been coming out about all the warning signs before, and actual warnings issued, it's incomprehensible to me that someone like that can just go out and buy automatic pistols etc! However.....as this appears to be something that you guys can't separate from your constitutional rights then as I said - don't have the thread at all, or lock it down with a sympathy comment after the first time it needed cleaning. Personally I'm with those who want to talk about stuff with their friends from the board. I must say, to see a couple of you agree with me even though I know that you probably see me as the guy wrapped around the tree at the end of the lane, is genuinely heart-warming. Still - the board has it's rules and we should all be OK with that. On the other hand, when something is done like now it's akin to baiting everyone by holding something forbidden in front of them. I don't believe there was a way to fully discuss this event without talking about the gun part of it. As ReefHound said......it's like trying to talk about war without mentioning the casualties, or discussing a car accident without being allowed to point out that someone was hit by a truck, not a bicycle.

This thread really IS a first, because now I'm going to agree with PF! I found his "after the tragedy" comment in his first post extremely insightful. It's certainly true that you guys are very good at Memorial services. It's just sad to realize how much of that probably comes from the amount of practice you seem to get.

Thank you Tolstoy, sheesh.:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom