Virginia killings Moderation decisions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That popcorn is obnoxious you know.

catherine96821:
that's pretty political
you always seem to get your dig in, passive aggressively.

PF, you just had to say that?

Was that a question, or declaritive? uh, dittoheads? Did I really hear that lamenting phrase from someone that does not want political discussion? :wink:

Well, I wasn't calling for politics to be allowed.....that's a different discussion. The point here for me is that I honestly don't see suggesting that a way be found to stop someone like this VA shooter getting hold of his guns IS political. It's just downright common sense IMO. From all the stuff that's been coming out about all the warning signs before, and actual warnings issued, it's incomprehensible to me that someone like that can just go out and buy automatic pistols etc! However.....as this appears to be something that you guys can't separate from your constitutional rights then as I said - don't have the thread at all, or lock it down with a sympathy comment after the first time it needed cleaning. Personally I'm with those who want to talk about stuff with their friends from the board. I must say, to see a couple of you agree with me even though I know that you probably see me as the guy wrapped around the tree at the end of the lane, is genuinely heart-warming. Still - the board has it's rules and we should all be OK with that. On the other hand, when something is done like now it's akin to baiting everyone by holding something forbidden in front of them. I don't believe there was a way to fully discuss this event without talking about the gun part of it. As ReefHound said......it's like trying to talk about war without mentioning the casualties, or discussing a car accident without being allowed to point out that someone was hit by a truck, not a bicycle.

This thread really IS a first, because now I'm going to agree with PF! I found his "after the tragedy" comment in his first post extremely insightful. It's certainly true that you guys are very good at Memorial services. It's just sad to realize how much of that probably comes from the amount of practice you seem to get.

dlndavid:
you know Catherine I think you are right, but don't tell him there are two sides to a coin :popcorn:
Now, David. You know that there are very sensitive people posting in here. Please don't incite them. If you want to thump your chest, you should do so in our thread so that nobody hits a report button or calls you "bad names on the board":D

Kim, Kim, Kim, you still are not seeing this as America does. See, he was a resident alien, which means he can do whatever he wants and buy as many guns as he can afford, and so as not to hurt his feelings, or make him feel unwelcomed to this Country, we let him do as he pleased. See Kim, it's what we do. We're very sensitive.

OK, LET'S HOLD HANDS AND PRAY FOR THE PERP. Cum bayah, me Lord.

Kim:
Well, I wasn't calling for politics to be allowed.....that's a different discussion. The point here for me is that I honestly don't see suggesting that a way be found to stop someone like this VA shooter getting hold of his guns IS political. It's just downright common sense IMO. From all the stuff that's been coming out about all the warning signs before, and actual warnings issued, it's incomprehensible to me that someone like that can just go out and buy automatic pistols etc! However.....as this appears to be something that you guys can't seperate from your constitutional rights then as I said - don't have the thread at all, or lock it down with a sympathy comment after the first time it needed cleaning. Personally I'm with those who want to talk about stuff with their friends from the board. I must say, to see a couple of you agree with me even though I know that you probably see me as the guy wrapped around the tree at the end of the lane, is genuinely heart-warming. Still - the board has it's rules and we should all be OK with that. On the other hand, when something is done like now it's akin to baiting everyone by holding something forbidden in front of them. I don't believe there was a way to fully discuss this event without talking about the gun part of it. As ReefHound said......it's like trying to talk about war withouit mentioning the casualties, or discussing a car accident without being allowed to point out that someone was hit buy a truck, not a bicycle.

This thread really IS a first, because now I'm going to agree with PF! I found his "after the tragedy" comment in his first post extremely insightful. It's certainly true that you guys are very good at Memorial services. It's just sad to realize how much of that probably comes from the amount of practice you seem to get.

I must say, to see a couple of you agree with me even though I know that you probably see me as the guy wrapped around the tree at the end of the lane, is genuinely heart-warming.
I have learned a whole lot from you Kim, and when you are not here, I miss you. I don't really NEED to talk to people who agree with me...but you have opened my eyes to some things.

(..were you smokin a butt while huggin that tree? :D)

catherine96821:
(..were you smokin a butt while huggin that tree? :D)
I gave up smoking anything at all since my bypass. No sense in committing suicide by tar and nicotine! :wink:

dlndavid:
you know Catherine I think you are right, but don't tell him there are two sides to a coin :popcorn:
More than two sides, actually ... although more and more it seems to boil down to just two. The term isn't partisan, but rather applies to anyone who can't allow the expression of different views without resorting to slurs and name-calling ... whatever their views.

The responses so far bear out, to a large degree, why I think political expression is best left off the board ... too many too eager to make assumptions ... it just gets inflammatory way too fast.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom