Viral and feeling discouraged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grimloc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
9 Days, 21 hours, 13 min and 50 seconds to a trip to Roatan.

Here in the midst of Packer Football defeats and wicked cold temps....I am manifesting the first signs of a pending cold.

Anyone have magic, voo doo, or good old fashioned remedies to increase the odds that I'll dive on my trip instead of snorkel?

Grim

You already know the answer. Rest, lots of liquid, rest, vitamin C, rest.

BTW, it's amazing how much better one can feel when you see the clear, warm, blue water from your plane as you descend to your destination. :wink:

You already know the answer. Rest, lots of liquid, rest, vitamin C, rest.

:wink:

Yep....and if that does not work I gots the VOODOO!

I'm a big believer in Zycam. You still have time. Start now using it or something else like it (just flushing your sinuses with salt water to get the crud out may do the same thing). I have used it 3 times along with lots of fluids, vitamin C and rest. My normal cold was 4 or 5 days prior to that, now it's more like 2.

9 Days, 21 hours, 13 min and 50 seconds to a trip to Roatan.

Here in the midst of Packer Football defeats and wicked cold temps....I am manifesting the first signs of a pending cold.

Anyone have magic, voo doo, or good old fashioned remedies to increase the odds that I'll dive on my trip instead of snorkel?

Grim
go to Walgreens and get a neti pot.... it is a sinus washer. You put salt and warm water in it and pour it up your nose (over the sink) and it runs up into your sinus cavities and out the other nostril. As gross as this sounds, it cleans out the sinus passages well and dries them out. My husband has had lots of sinus infections in the past and now swears by this thing. He does it every night before bed.

For me, Cold Eeze works perfectly, especially if you catch it early. They even have gumballs. One every 3 hours or so, and you should be good.

Dude, get some Airborne, some echinacea and some zinc tablets. Get a few lemons... I got a cold less than a week before a Cozumel trip a few years back and my GF at the time owned a health club and ran marathons (yes, a hardbody!). She totally was into natural medicines, etc and discouraged me from going to a doctor to get antibiotics that would not help me anyway. So, here is what she put me on, and it worked great, I dove, had a great time and my cold/flu disappeared in a few days...
Take an echinacea and a zinc tablet every few hours - they taste like crap and make your senses kinda weird, takes your appetite away. Do it... also, take an Airborne every morning. This is a tablet you drop into a small glass of water like an Alka-Seltzer. Take a real lemon and slice it into 4ths, squeeze it into a glass of water - not only will you need the water replenished in your system, the lemon acts as an astringent to coat the walls of the cells in your body.
All of this boosts your immune system and kicks it right out of you. At least this works 100% for me and I have yet to miss diving on my trips (knocking on my wooden head!).
Let me know if you try it!

Here in the midst of Packer Football defeats...
As a native Wisconsinite and dedicated Cheesehead myself, take comfort as I do: Brett Favre could never retire with his last pass being an interception in overtime in the NFC Championship at Lambeau Field, eh? With luck, next year will be as good or better, although perhaps less surprising. :biggrin:

Oh, and as for the cold, unless you give yourself pneumonia, you should be fine in time for the trip. Plenty of time left. (I wouldn't recommend ice diving or polar bearing in the meantime, and certainly bundle up, drink plenty of fluids, and perhaps eat a can of frozen orange juice concentrate -- it's *OH* so tart, but my, is it ever delicious... although you'll have to drink a pitcher or two of water before the thirst goes away. :D)

If you are still feeling stuffy when you get there, bring some Mucinex D 12 hour tabs.(the real stuff that you get from the pharmacist.) Take 2 about an hour before your first dive each day. Don't take it if you are diving Nitrox because studies have shown that psudoephedrine can increase risk of O2 toxicity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom