Trip Report Jupiter Trip Report 9-7-14 to 9-11-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interested that you didn't report any sharks on the ESSO Bonaire - glad to see that it's not a party if nobody's ringing the dinner bell. Last I checked it looked like it was just the "lemon ladies" hanging around in any case.

On my 1st Jupiter Wreck Trek dive, I saw one black trip reef shark (I.D.'d by others), I'd estimate around 5 to 6 feet long, and one or more other people reported seeing a lemon shark but I did not see that.

On the issue of 120's, I didn't get low enough on gas for that to be a limiting factor, but I was glad to have the extra just in case. At least for a 1st trip, the added insurance was helpful. I still tried to watch my gas consumption and keep my SAC rate down (I used to be a bad air hog).

Richard.

On my 1st Jupiter Wreck Trek dive, I saw one black trip reef shark (I.D.'d by others), I'd estimate around 5 to 6 feet long, and one or more other people reported seeing a lemon shark but I did not see that.

On the issue of 120's, I didn't get low enough on gas for that to be a limiting factor, but I was glad to have the extra just in case. At least for a 1st trip, the added insurance was helpful. I still tried to watch my gas consumption and keep my SAC rate down (I used to be a bad air hog).

Richard.

Interesting. I've never run into a blacktip out there.

I do like having the extra volume available just in case; if I ever get around to buying my own tanks I'm probably going to get 2 or 3 HP120s. However, on one occasion I recall doing the third dive of the day on the Bonaire; I was hoping for tigers or hammerheads but we just had 3 or 4 lemons and a couple nurse sharks in the mix. The bait is placed in the sand behind the stern at 90; I was holding up at 70 on one of the stanchions. Very little current that day, just sitting and waiting. Well, my timer went down to 8 minutes and I had 2500 PSI of gas left, so I said screw it and went down into the sand. I was there long enough to chew up another 400-500 PSI of gas and rack up a 17-minute deco stop on my computer, which was new territory for me. I made probably the slowest ascent of my life and threw in stops at 60 and 30 for good measure; overall it took me about 35 minutes to surface. After that I decided having so much gas on hand was too much of a temptation to push the limits.

Here's the one somewhat decent shot I got of the shark in question; it didn't stick around long. I think it was the guide who thought it was a black-tip reef shark.

IMG_6565_zps9e2f6b44.jpg

Here's the one somewhat decent shot I got of the shark in question

Sandbar Shark - Carcharhinus plumbeus

Was just down diving w/ JDC on a 3 tank boat dive organized thru my local shop 2 weeks ago, outstanding review!! I would dive w/ JDC again in a heartbeat.
I guess you didn't go to the Hot Dog shop (Dune Dog Cafe) just down the road from the dive shop?? :wink: A lot more than just hot dogs.

Great trip report! I love diving in Jupiter for the exact reasons mentioned above. The reef is not bad but the big animal encounters are what makes this worth my time and money. Thanks.

We have gone diving with JDC several times and have always had a great experience. The DMs gives great briefings, they let you do the dive the way you want (stick with the DM or go off on your own), they provide refreshments, and the boat is very nice. I agree with drrich2...if you are a new diver and don't know how to set up your equipment, JDC might not be the shop for you until you have more experience. It's not to say the DM and the deck guy wouldn't help if asked; I just never saw any of the divers ask for help which lead me to believe most of the divers were experienced.

When we were in Jupiter in mid-August we hit thermoclines, too. My computer read 64 degrees! Ugh....I was freezing. The surface temp was a lovely 86 degrees! I was wearing my 3mm and wished I had a 5mm.

The first time we went to Jupiter, I was expecting the reefs to look bigger and more lush. I was looking at them through "Cozumel" eyes which wasn't a fair comparison. Now that we know what to expect, we see beauty on all Jupiter dives....just a different beauty than in Coz.

We bought a house in Hobe Sound and will be moving permanently to FL at the end of the year. We are so excited to be able to experience the great diving FL has to offer.....anytime....anyplace. Sure beats living in the desert!

Great write up. The greater Jupiter area tourism council should put you on their payroll. Makes me want to visit Jupiter next year and make the trip from Sarasota when attending "Orioles" spring training. I try to get a dive day in between baseball games.

Here's the one somewhat decent shot I got of the shark in question; it didn't stick around long. I think it was the guide who thought it was a black-tip reef shark.

IMG_6565_zps9e2f6b44.jpg

Blacktip shark

Sandbar Shark

Can't say for sure on quick examination. There's at least one sandbar shark that occasionally shows up at the feeds, but I've never heard of any blacktips being reported. Could be a blacktip though - the dorsal and pectoral fins don't look quite as outlandish as a sandbar's. Carcharhinids are like the 4-door midsize sedan of the shark world - it took me a while to be able to sort out the duskies from the silkies on the deep ledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom