Trip Report Jupiter Trip Report 9-7-14 to 9-11-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great write up. You'll find on many of the ops, if you're solo, they really don't care. Some babysit a little more than others, and those that do babysit might relax once they know you.

Quick detail I forgot to mention. If memory serves, when I phoned Jupiter Waterfront Inn to make a reservation, I mentioned that I was a Jupiter Dive Center customer, and got a pretty good nightly rate cut. JDC's web site mentioned the place under local hotels, but did not mention that I could save money by mentioning them. So if you stay there, be sure you do!!!

Richard.

I disagree. The fins identified below clearly have black tips and I've heard multiple reports of Blacktip sharks showing up in Jupiter.

Blacktip Shark Identification: "Black tips of pectorals, second dorsal, and lower caudal fin"

Looks like the Emerald spotted one out there recently, so I agree. It would be interesting to maybe compile a "calendar" of what shows up in Jupiter as the seasons change.

Great report and thanks for the effort in putting it together. Jupiter is where I do 90% of my diving and you pretty much nailed it. The one thing I would mention is that encountering a thermocline is not a rare event here - which is why I dive a 5mm year round.

Great report and thanks for the effort in putting it together. Jupiter is where I do 90% of my diving and you pretty much nailed it. The one thing I would mention is that encountering a thermocline is not a rare event here - which is why I dive a 5mm year round.

You're experience is intersting and a litte different from mine.... of the 50 or so dives I usually do a year in Jupiter, I haven't experienced thermoclines all that often outside of the major cold water upwellings we occasionally get or on the deep ledge. We must dive on different days of week, ha ha :wink: Then again, in August and Sept, I tend to do more diving in the Keys and all the recent thermoclines have been reported while I've been diving down there.

Usually a 3MM does well for me in the summer/fall and 7MM in the winter/early spring.

Dune Dog has good food a block or 2 south of JDC on Alt A1A. It's an open air, beachy sorta place off the beach. The food is great and won't break the bank. The clam chowda is the best I've ever had!!

Dune Dog has ......clam chowda is the best I've ever had!!

And with that I'm making a special trip back. I never knew they had chowder. I just always ordered the Chicago dog basket. Thanks for the heads up!!

They don't have chowder, the man said chowda! :)

Great report! You really should have tried Capt Sl8R (Jupiter, FL Scuba Diving Charter). They are a full service valet type outfit, as in they carry all of your stuff from the car to the boat (or if you rent the tanks/gear it is all set up on the boat for you when you show up). They also do weight checks for everyone and provide ample support topside as well as down below. Love JDC and Sl8r. It has been tough conditions the past few weeks, but look for the vis and activity to get better as winter comes (also look for larger swells).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom