Trip Report Jupiter Trip Report 9-7-14 to 9-11-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gonna go long on this review. Designing it for people like I was, considering Jupiter for a new dive destination against other options. I trust people with more extensive experience here will point out where my experience is not representative of usual conditions. My photos were shot with an old Canon G10 compact camera in a Canon housing, Underwater Scene Mode setting, usually with Flash Off but occasionally turned on for close in work. I did no post processing or cropping, aside from reducing resolutions, so you can see what pics looked like when they came out of the camera.

My Profile: Rec. diver, main experience 8 1-week trips to Bonaire plus a smattering of Caribbean dives on cruise ship stops & some quarry diving, who ‘discovered’ Florida’s got good diving (plus amenities for non-diving family & access to U.S. health care, in case our pre-toddler gets sick), and had a great time doing 20 dives in 5 days with Rainbow Reef Dive Center out of Key Largo September 2013. As good or better than my Caribbean diving! I aim for water temp.s of 75+ degrees as I don’t like wearing wetsuits.

Site Profile: Jupiter, Florida. By reputation, warm-water (at least part of the year) drift diving with access to see ‘big animals,’ a good chance to see Goliath grouper (especially during the annual aggregation which this is prime time for), sharks (there’s an annual lemon shark migration, but I didn’t make that) and loggerhead sea turtles (which I missed somehow). Viz. said to be less than West Palm Beach or the Florida Keys, and the dives tend to be deeper, but if you want to see the big stuff out of Florida, Jupiter is the place. It’s close enough to West Palm Beach & Blue Heron Bridge that one could try them, but I did not. Driving this area was not difficult; your skills don’t need to be ready for major metropolitan areas like Houston, New York City, etc… We made a lot of U-turns getting around.

Dive Op. Profile: Jupiter Dive Center. Strongly reputable op. often mentioned on ScubaBoard, which is where I heard of it. Has a dive shop where you can rent HP Steel 120’s with Nitrox (EAN 36 was provided, a fine choice for the dives we did), 2-tank boat trips (looks like Saturdays & Sundays often offer morning and afternoon trips, although I never tried to do both and judging from the times we tended to get back, I doubt it’d be feasible to consistently do both trips every day, if you even wanted to do 4 dives with those profiles per day). They do some 3-tank trips; judging from their online scheduling map looks like that’s mainly Friday and Sunday. On a 7 day trip, diving 6 of them, with a 3-tank trip in there somewhere, you can probably get 13 dives in (maybe 14?). I did 10 dives in 5 days, spent one with family then flew home. They rent sizes besides 120’s.

Jupiter has more than one strongly reputable op. Captain Sl8r’s op. is highly rated. I heard of and contacted JDC 1st, I’m a conservative ‘meat & potatoes’ guy and a straight-forward name like ‘Jupiter Dive Center’ appeals to me, and given strong positive experience from fellow ScubaBoard members, I went with them. I like’em a lot, but I’m not here to play ‘My op. is better than your op.’

One tip: Entering JDC’s street address into my wife’s recent model Garmin put us some ways off, so I phoned for directions. Your 1st day, plan on getting there extra early, and have their phone number available. I don’t think this is rare.

Dive Day Work-flow (for morning dives): Shop opens at 8 a.m.; I got there around that time. Wife pulled around behind the shop & dropped me & gear off by the benches area at the head of the dock. I go in, fill out the liability release, check in at the counter, pay $40 & tax ($42.40) for 2 EAN 36 HP steel tanks, analyze right there (there’s also an analyzer for DIN tanks), print name & mix on tape & stick on tanks. I can haul them out & down the pier to near the boat. Odds are I can get permission & board, pick a spot, & get my BCD & reg. on a tank right away. I bought the ‘buy 5 trips, get 1 free’ deal the 1st day. I didn’t see a big ‘dry box’ (e.g. trunk or chest) up front for keeping things dry, so I bought a dry box for keeping my wallet & iPhone safe from water & blunt trauma. A shop staffer provided me a fin bag to help keep stuff together at no charge.

IMG_6495_zps23eb7e7a.jpg

IMG_6494_zpsba2a4688.jpg

Depart around 9 a.m. I think we ran anywhere from 8 to 18 divers, tending towards about 13, but the boats (Republic IV and VII) are wide and comfortable, and dives didn’t feel like a mob scene. There are 3 crew; 1 Captain, 1 Deck Hand/1st Mate & 1 Guide (who pulls a float & flag via reel). On the trip out (maybe 40 minutes?), the guide gives a site briefing. 10 Minutes before expected arrival, we get the 10 minute warning, and you get into your wetsuit & gear. Soon you’ll all scoot on your butts side-ways down the bench to the back of the boat. Guide goes in 1st, and there’s a yell “Dive, dive, dive” – on both sides of the boat, one after the other, divers giant stride off at an outward angle to minimize risk from the ladder, and group around the guide. Soon the guide says let’s go down, and you go down, follow with the group, on dive 1 planning max. bottom time 25 minutes on air, or 45 on nitrox, to allow for decent time on the 2nd dive. Dive 1 is the deepest.

IMG_7213_zps792093b8.jpg

IMG_6691_zps0f6ed53e.jpg

Did I mention they have snacks (I saw bags of pretzels) and free cans of Pepsi & Diet Pepsi? Now that’s a commitment to hydration! There was a water cooler, too.

Dive 2 runs much the same. We generally dove 45 minutes bottom time and worked our way up to the safety stop & then out. My dives generally ran around 50 – 55 minutes. The group waits by the float and the captain comes, swings around & backs the boat up to you. It’s pretty easy to go up the ladder with your fins on, which is recommended. Somebody chose to take his off 1st and lost one.

All the staff were nice, likeable and professional. I’m rather ‘twitchy’ and a deck hand politely asked me about it one day headed back, wondering if I might have DCS. Good eye, Brian! Nope; I’m just weird.

End of the Dive Day – those willing form a tank line & we hand tanks person to person to get them from boat to pier. Time for tips (Deck Hand and Guide work for tips) and there are 2 big rinse tanks as you leave the pier. I think we tended to get back around 1:30 to 2 p.m. maybe? One day we stopped to refuel the boat.

Dive Sites: I dove the Jupiter Wreck Trek 3 times (2 smaller wrecks, the Zion & Miss Jenny, and one larger one, the ESSO Bonaire), the MG111 twice (some attached stuff is called Warrior’s Reef) (part of it looks like someone blew up a Mayan temple, part of it like someone blew up a high school auditorium) – those are the 2 sites with wrecks/wreckage that large numbers of Goliath grouper cluster around and in. Once each I dove Loggerhead, Scarface, Area 51, Captain Mike’s Reef and Tunnels. These are reef dives. I picture it this way. Imagine you are off-shore hovering over the sand, facing the mainland. Someone lays out a giant strip of hamburger meat in a long line parallel to shore, in front of you. Now, he smashes it flat. The reefs vary in how flat that rock/reef layer is, and how much cracks run into it, and how lushly coral and particularly gorgonians contribute to a ‘grasslands’ look. It’s not as lush as the better Bonaire reefs, and it’s much more level, not much sloping hillside (unlike Bonaire). The sand might be around 90 feet deep. You’re out over the sand (or near it) at the edge of that rock/reef shelf, with mild current moving you along (we dove into current a bit at Tunnels).

IMG_7091_zps39cc1201.jpg

IMG_6992_zpsaa91a9fb.jpg

IMG_7007_zps126eb3af.jpg

IMG_7022_zps5c4c7fc1.jpg

IMG_7025_zpsafe5143a.jpg

IMG_6519_zps3f2d55bb.jpg

IMG_6720_zps6e63ecd3.jpg

IMG_6599_zps784eb464.jpg

IMG_6600_zps6420ebf0.jpg

IMG_6602_zps75c57858.jpg

IMG_6708_zpsab19ca75.jpg

---------- Post added September 14th, 2014 at 10:36 PM ----------

You could see sharks occasionally, maybe some Goliath grouper, a range of angelfish species and other things (I found a big green moray and a big crab; also saw a school of rainbow parrotfish with a midnight blue parrotfish with them, saw this on 2 different dives, and one guy said he saw 2 dolphin chasing a reef shark maybe 4 feet long; I didn’t see that). I saw a big black-trip reef shark (Wreck Trek), maybe 4 – 5 reef sharks (all at Tunnels) & 2 nurse sharks (both are Captain Mike’s Reef). I can’t realistically guess how many Goliath grouper I saw. Never saw barracuda while diving here, though. Saw 2 hawksbill sea turtles.

IMG_7221_zps245b7b1c.jpg

IMG_7190_zps28e5f406.jpg

IMG_6701_zps322b0019.jpg

You may see a little spear fishing and lobstering.

IMG_6563_zpsd88a6f92.jpg

IMG_6587_zps2e948ea3.jpg

Dive Conditions: Viz. around 40 to 50 feet or so for me. Current usually mild, sometimes minimal, one day fairly strong but nothing that would impress somebody used to Cozumel. All 5 days I dove, definitely thermocline. Sometimes 2. I found one at 50 – 55 feet, one at 70 feet on the nose. Under the thermocline the water was quite chilly. Give some time to acclimate at the thermocline, I could stand it, but I’m big & chunky (6’1”, around 275 lbs., tolerate cold better than most) & still got cold. I’m the only person who dove without a suit all 5 trips. Most wore full wetsuits, a few shorties, one women wore a dry suit. Had I wished, I could’ve ‘rode the thermocline’ on all dives without being left behind. Sometimes I did, if there was nothing special to drop down and see. It was common to hear in dive briefings that a sight was ’90 feet to the sand’ (hence EAN 36 with a MOD of 95 feet is a good choice). I’m told cold water at depth isn’t the norm and results from upwellings, which occur erratically. It was chilly deep every day I dove.

Special Considerations: I saw a number of scorpionfish, including one on a wreck some of us were hanging on the edge of by a finger on the higher current day, close to a yard from my hand, and their camouflage is wonderful against those algae-covered wrecks. Be very careful if you must touch. Stay with the group; better yet, stay with the guide. Viz. is not on par with Cozumel. Get nitrox certified before you come; well worth it. Know how much weight you need. Know how to assemble your own gear; this is not a valet op. They’re friendly and supportive, but you should know your weight needs, how to set up your gear, and get in the water with your gas turned on without a nanny. If you’re fresh out of OW training, still awkward and nervous about ocean diving, I suggest a trip to Key Largo and a week with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (and AOW & Nitrox training & certification) before you tackle Jupiter. Nobody asked me about or tried to pair me up with a buddy, which is great because I didn’t want them to (via e-mail I’d asked whether I had to buddy dive or could stick with the guide, & was told I could do the latter). If you go solo and want a buddy, you may need to ask somebody.

Sometimes things come up. I originally scheduled a Sunday 3-tank boat trip, but later a big group wanted to book the whole thing, so I got a call about switching to the 2-tank. Later there was some sort of problem & I was asked to move to the afternoon trip on day 1, which was a blessing since due to flight delays we checked into our hotel at 2 a.m.!!! But I got a free pair of nitrox 120’s one day, and a mesh fin bag with someone saw I didn’t have one, so good things happen, too.

Where We Stayed: Wife likes an oceanview balcony. I didn’t want to pay for Jupiter Beach Resort. We stayed at Jupiter Waterfront Inn. It’s a nice place with a view of the intracoastal. The pier out back is over shallow water, but I saw a moon jellyfish and a juvenile barracuda. They put out apples all day, and in the morning you can get muffins, orange & cranberry juice, and 3 kinds of cereal (all free). No matter what they say about TripAdvisor, I like the little chocolate chip muffins.

We Ate At: Guanabana’s – good food, not cheap, near place since it’s got a ‘paths in the forest’ feel and water front. Jetties – waterfront, good food, not cheap. Coolinary Café – okay but nothing that’d make us go back. Not cheap. Hogsnapper Restaurant and Sushi – nice place, decent food, okay overall.

Non-diving Family – Jupiter Inset Lighthouse (not a long tour, but a trip up for some photos is nice), Hobe Sound National Wildlife Center (little nature center, worth a stop, but I’m not walking sand trails in the blazing sun), Dubois State Park (shallow lagoon area for little ones), Palm Beach Zoo (decent zoo; had a good time), Busch Wildlife Sanctuary (we didn’t make it), Loggerhead Marinelife Center (we didn’t make it), South Florida Science Museum (we didn’t make it), Mounts Botanical Garden (we didn’t make it), McCarthy’s Wildlife Sanctuary (sounded great, but they don’t need children our daughter’s age in), and you may find more but Jupiter doesn’t seem to be a major land attraction area. We decided to do a trip with Sunshine Wildlife Tours since wife wanted to see wild manatees.

IMG_7283_zps1f6f22d8.jpg

My Dive Profiles:

Day 1.

Dive 1. Zion, Ms Jenny, Esso Bonaire. 74 degrees I think. Mild drift dive.
50 Min. dive, max. 84, avg. 65, start 3645, end 1274.

Dive 2. Loggerhead. 54 min, max. 69, ave. 56, start 3246, end 981.

Day 2.

Dive 1: Zion, Ms Jenny, Esso Bonaire. Thermocline just under 70 feet dropped temp. to 71 per VT3, so I tended to stay above that. some of us touched the wreck edge to secure ourselves against the current.
54 min, max. 77, ave. 61, start 3399, end 900.

If you have to touch an algae covered reef, be careful. See what I mean?

IMG_6681_zpscb21b58b.jpg

IMG_6677_zpsf8f1c75e.jpg

IMG_6686_zpse97a8546.jpg

IMG_6687_zpse526ead2.jpg

Dive 2: Scarface. 53 min, max. 74, ave. 57, start 3446, end 1389.

Day 3.

Dive 1 – Area 51. Thermocline around 60 feet. Saw 1 goliath grouper. Sharkk saw 4. One guy saw 2 dolphins chasing a reef shark maybe 4 – 4.5 feet long, appearing to enjoy it, though the shark didn’t. Moderate current. Viz. maybe 50’.
58 min. dive, max. 79 feet, ave. 61 feet, EAN 36, start pressure 3510, end pressure 1183.

Dive 2 – MG111 & Warrior’s Reef. Thermocline around 50-55 feet, and it got cold. Moderate current – hung on the wreck a bit. Viz. maybe 50’. If the VT3 was accurate, once acclimated, I got down into 68 degree water, no wet suit. Gotta wonder if that’s accurate. Phil. mentioned 71 back on the boat.
61 min. dive, max. 63 ft, ave. 49 ft, EAN 36, start pressure 3498, end pressure 1204.

Day 4. Both dives had thermoclines and were chilly at depth but not as cold as yesterday. Sandy (Guide) thought viz. around 40 feet and bottom time on one dive 73, whereas my VT3 said 71. Negligible bottom current on both dives.

Dive #1: Jupiter Wreck Trek. 54 min. dive, max. depth 89 ft, average depth 67 ft, start pressure 3691 psi, end pressure 1355 psi. EAN 36.

Dive #2: MG111 & Warrior’s Reef. 53 min. dive, max. 63 ft, average depth 52 ft, start pressure 3632 psi, end pressure 1699 psi. EAN 36.

Day 5. Viz. around 40 feet at both sites.

Dive 1 – Captain Mike’s Reef. He found it years ago. Saw 2 nurse sharks and 2 goliath grouper and found a big crab. Mild drift dive current. 52 min., 83 ft max., average depth 63 ft, start pressure 3596 psi, end pressure 1558 psi. EAN 36.

Dive 2 – Tunnels. Mild to negligible current. 4-5 reef sharks and some goliath grouper. 53 min., max. depth 72 ft, average depth 60 ft, start pressure 3391 psi, end pressure 1227 psi. EAN 36.

Wow, great detailed report about Jupiter. Excellent write up for others looking to visit !!

Great report, nice meeting you last Monday, even though it was brief since we were on different boats!

drrich2: nice write-up which basically covers what I see day-in and day-out in Jupiter and with JDC. I'll add a couple of items:

-No operator in South Florida (Jupiter to Miami) that I've dove with offers 'valet service' compared to resort locations in other geographies that I've heard about (99% or my diving is Florida or Bahamas). Divers really should know how to assemble their gear and know what sort of weight they need. If someone doesn't know the weight they need, a stop by Blue Heron Bridge to figure out weight issues is possible.

-Interesting that you experienced all the thermoclines: that is somewhat rare for the area outside of the really cold upwellings we sometimes get. I felt a thermocline in WPB this last weekend at about the same depth but it was warmer at 76 degrees. This year seems to have had more upwellings and thermoclines that I've experienced in the last 5 years.

-Most local divers wear a wetsuit virtually on all dives; its brave to dive without one around here (in my opinion) especially if one is diving the wrecks.

Last edited:
This is amazingly timely! Thanks. We, too, are newbies at diving that area, and we're booked for a 3-tank day at JDC in a couple of weeks. I was going to post some questions here, but your post answered them and more. It will just the one day for us, but we'll hit Blue Heron, too.

I'll have to figure out my weighting for 120s--I had no idea that was an option.

Water temps of 75-78 degrees means a full 5 mm suit for me.

thnx for a very informative report

This is amazingly timely! Thanks. We, too, are newbies at diving that area, and we're booked for a 3-tank day at JDC in a couple of weeks. I was going to post some questions here, but your post answered them and more. It will just the one day for us, but we'll hit Blue Heron, too.

I'll have to figure out my weighting for 120s--I had no idea that was an option.

Water temps of 75-78 degrees means a full 5 mm suit for me.
The water temps can change drastically over the course of a few days so, make sure you keep a 3mm handy. I know that my dive buddy in WPB area has been reporting temps in the low-mid 80's. As for the 120s, unless you've made some arrangements with JDC to stay down longer, you'll probably be surfacing with a lot of extra gas. My experience with JDC is 45 minutes max bottom time on nitrox dives, and I've not seen them make a caveat for those using more cf of gas.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2014 at 11:56 AM ----------

Rich, your pictures make me homesick! Ok, it isn't really home (Boston is), but I do most of my diving in Jupiter and WPB and I am antsy to get back down there. I did my rescue cert on my last trip to Jupiter with Brooke (one of the JDC crew), and my son completed his OW cert with them as well. I am a big fan of JDC and have never had a bad experience diving with them.

...... As for the 120s, unless you've made some arrangements with JDC to stay down longer, you'll probably be surfacing with a lot of extra gas. My experience with JDC is 45 minutes max bottom time on nitrox dives, and I've not seen them make a caveat for those using more cf of gas.

Generally, most of the local operators want you on the surface at the 53 minute mark, so 45 minutes of bottom time is about right. Some of the WPB operators will give you to 60 minutes on the shallower sites. Big tanks are great if one is hunting lobster or spearfishing: it's amazing how fast one can blow through gas when the excitment of catching a lobster or two or six sets in. :D

The water temps can change drastically over the course of a few days so, make sure you keep a 3mm handy. I know that my dive buddy in WPB area has been reporting temps in the low-mid 80's. As for the 120s, unless you've made some arrangements with JDC to stay down longer, you'll probably be surfacing with a lot of extra gas. My experience with JDC is 45 minutes max bottom time on nitrox dives, and I've not seen them make a caveat for those using more cf of gas.

Thanks. I was surprised by Richard's report of cooler temps, as everything I had read suggested bottom temps would be in the low 80s.

As for the steel 120, my philosophy is that having extra gas is always a good thing, and a tank that's less buoyant than an Al 80 is attractive--I'm thinking that even with a 5 mm suit I might need no lead at all.

Glad you finally made it down here and enjoyed the Jupiter show. I was hoping to get out this weekend, but the boat I was on had engine issues and postponed.

Couple of notes on dive times; it's been a while since I dove JDC but those limits sound about right. I'm more used to a couple ops that give you 1 hour/NDL/500 PSI, whichever comes first. For me, a 120 is typically overkill on those times. I usually dive Narcosis with their AL80s and find I hit my bingo point on air before running into my NDL. With a steel HP100 it depends on what I've been doing - if I'm just relaxing I'll probably hit NDL first; if I'm boogieing around hunting lionfish at depth I'll probably chew up my gas first. I used to draw 120s for the Emerald (which is basically "come up with air in your tank and stay within NDL, wink wink") but have found that a little too tempting to push myself into deco at times.

Interested that you didn't report any sharks on the ESSO Bonaire - glad to see that it's not a party if nobody's ringing the dinner bell. Last I checked it looked like it was just the "lemon ladies" hanging around in any case.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom