Trip Report Jupiter Trip Report 9-7-14 to 9-11-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sl8r is hands down my favorite. I dove with JDC once and had mixed feelings about it, but they didn't know me and I didn't walk away with that warm and fuzzy feeling. Sea Pup is my 2nd favorite, but once again, they know me and the experience always seems better when that's the case.

My favorite part about JDC was the location of the shop to the boat. That was very convenient. It was a one stop shop and you didn't have to worry about getting something taken care of and then trying to get to the dock.

My wife and I booked on-line for JDC's 3-tank trip this Sunday 9/28. Should we call the shop to confirm or for any other reason? I've never booked a dive trip with an automated system like that. What time does the 3-tanker normally arrive back at the dock? Also, anyone know what I should expect by the statement "lunch is included"? I think I'll just bring my normal snacks to be safe.

I would expect to be back around 2:30pm

Lunch is typically 6" sub sandwich. probably turkey or roast beef. they have snacks and water/sodas too.

I don't typically call to confirm when I book with JDC. I actually really like the automated system as it helps with last minute booking on the least full boat haha.

This is amazingly timely! Thanks. We, too, are newbies at diving that area, and we're booked for a 3-tank day at JDC in a couple of weeks. I was going to post some questions here, but your post answered them and more. It will just the one day for us, but we'll hit Blue Heron, too.

I'm back in Atlanta from a whirlwind trip to S. FL, including the above-mentioned 3-tank trip with JDC. I have to say my wife and I did not have the best experience--not bad, just not that good.

At check-in, I asked about the thermoclines mentioned in this thread, and they assured me there were none, and that the water temp was 83F. This much was right on the money, and I enjoyed diving in my 3/2 mm fullsuit. As there were quite a few jellies about, I wouldn't recommend less than full suit coverage--the DM had a hood and gloves, and I suspect that's the reason. Another positive about JDC's 3-tanker for us out-of-towners is the lunch bag that comes with it. My wife and I are picky sandwich eaters--we won't eat garbage from Subway--but these were quality sandwiches from a local deli.

In the briefing on the boat, we were instructed to keep bottom time to a maximum of 45 minutes, with a maximum total run time of 55 minutes. Okey dokey. Our choice of aluminum 80s over the tempting larger steel tanks turned out to be fine for us. Others on the boat had larger tanks. As far as I know, everyone used EAN 36.

The first dive was "Area-51." There were a couple of people doing lobster diving, and the captain let them off first, then moved the boat a little and let the rest of us off. So the "10 minute warning" that I think Richard mentioned in the original post above turned into 15 or 20 for some of us. We sat there cooling our heels--or rather, baking in the sun in our gear. After the second dive, I finally realized that when they gave the "10 minute warning," I did not need to rush.

Anyway, on the first dive the DM led the group (minus the lobster divers) to the bottom, around 85-90 feet. We were in the middle of nowhere it seemed. I guess the captain missed the mark. The DM immediately began swimming fast in one direction for a few minutes, then without so much as a signal to the rest of us, turned sharply and swam in another direction when she apparently realized she was off course. The rest of us swam as fast as we could to keep up. Divers were shrugging with hands up in a "WTF?!" sort of signal to each other, and another guy signaled to my wife and me asking if the DM was crazy/narced and whether we wanted to thumb the dive with him. We signaled that we'd continue, and he did too. The DM hardly seemed to turn around to look at us but rather kept swimming at a furious pace, at times disappearing beyond vis range. Granted, there was a moderate current. But the current wasn't so bad that she couldn't have taken a moment to gather us when she realized she was heading in the wrong direction and point in the correct direction we now needed to go to reach the reef. After several minutes of finning over the boring expanse of sand and wasting a considerable amount of our gas, we reached the reef. But did we slow down and look around? Not really. She soon took off rapidly again. My wife was really getting annoyed that we couldn't stop and look at anything without losing our DM--which we considered doing out of frustration. We had been under the impression this was supposed to be drift diving, but it turned out to be a swimming competition. When we actually descended briefly to get a closer look at the reef, we found some juvenile fish--the stuff we like to find. But we decided to keep up with the DM, as did the rest of the group, I believe. At about the 40 minute mark, my wife signaled it was time to ascend, so we signaled the DM, deployed our SMB, did our stops, etc., while the group continued on. It seems that divers drop out of the group this way as the dive proceeds, and the DM ascends when the last remaining divers need to ascend. On the third dive, my wife and I were apparently the last to ascend. The boat then goes around and picks up the scattered groups of divers.

I believe the first dive was the one where we saw a goliath grouper. I guess all the "aggregating" is over, as this guy was just hanging out by himself. That's the only one we saw. Over the three dives, we also saw a small (nurse?) shark, a lot of lobsters, a turtle, a squid, a free-swimming moray, and not a whole lot else of note that I can recall. We didn't get a good impression of the reefs as being very full of life. I dunno--I guess no more or less so than the Keys, where we have dived often.

I believe the second or third dive site was called "Captain Mike's" reef, and I don't recall the name of the last of the three sites. But the second and third dives the DM had the same M.O.--swimming too rapidly for us to see anything but whatever large creature might have happened to be pretty much directly in front of us. I realize that some finning is necessary in these drift dives to keep on top of the reef, since the current isn't perfectly aligned with the reef. But the DM's speed clearly was not entirely due to the current, as my wife and I did not have any problem slowing down or even stopping, except for the fact that had we done so too often we would have found ourselves alone.

We had a much better time the previous day at Blue Heron Bridge. Our dive (in 10-20 feet of water) was nearly 2 hours, and we found all kinds of cool stuff. It is becoming more and more apparent to us that we prefer the small stuff over the bigger animals. My wife is a nudibranch nut.

I am hesitant to draw broad conclusions about the quality of the diving in the Jupiter area from this single experience. The captain may have missed the mark on the first two dives and our DM was perhaps a speed demon and not the best navigator, but you run into that sort of thing from time to time, so I won't slam JDC. We will probably give it another go at some point, but maybe we'll give Captain Slater a try.

I'm back in Atlanta from a whirlwind trip to S. FL, including the above-mentioned 3-tank trip with JDC. I have to say my wife and I did not have the best experience--not bad, just not that good...We will probably give it another go at some point, but maybe we'll give Captain Slater a try.
If you can't find the reef you can go back up and get re-dropped and i believe it's always been standard procedure for the DM to stay down until the last diver comes up. It's been a while since I've been out w/JDC but they should've briefed all of that. As for the wildlife, turtles are more abundant during the summer and sharks during the winter. The goliaths aggregate on the wrecks not the reefs.

Nowadays I recommend Capt. Sl8r Charters over JDC. Trust me, you will have a much more fun & friendly experience so don't give up on Jupiter without trying them first!

. . . The goliaths aggregate on the wrecks not the reefs.

For the second and third dives, the crew put it to a vote whether to do wreck or reef. I voted for wreck, but we lost. Oh well.

I'm back in Atlanta from a whirlwind trip to S. FL, including the above-mentioned 3-tank trip with JDC. I have to say my wife and I did not have the best experience--not bad, just not that good.

That is a shame for you but I am planning something in April - I think I will dive out of Palm Beach and skip Jupiter now... Appreciate the feedback on your dive...

That is a shame for you but I am planning something in April - I think I will dive out of Palm Beach and skip Jupiter now... Appreciate the feedback on your dive...

Depends on the op; as stated I think Sl8r might be a better experience. Narcosis in West Palm is also a top-notch boat and they often get up to the Jupiter area wrecks and reefs. I think the only time I ever got a bad drop from Captain Van was when the current was practically dead and we all hit bottom well ahead of the site. Still was a hell of a dive though. Both ops also give you up to an hour max, if your air and NDLs don't send you up first.

Lorenzoid:

Glad to see you posted how your trip went; I was curious. Sorry to see it didn't go as well as mine, but glad you didn't run into the thermoclines. And I saw far more goliath grouper on the wreck sites than on the reefs. None of the 3 different guides we had on my 10 dives did what you mentioned. Maybe just a bad day? I found the reef diving in the Florida Keys a good deal fishier than Jupiter; I hit Jupiter mainly to try something new and hoping to see 'big stuff,' which I did big time with the goliaths.

I've been busy since I got back, and am just now ready to post the minimum bottom temp.s off MacDive for these 10 dives, taken from downloading dives from my Oceanic Worldwide VT3 and Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 1. The Cobalt has a rep. for giving higher than actual temp.s, from what I've seen on the forum and myself compared to the VT3. From what I was hearing on the boat, the VT3 may (or may not?) have been giving temp.s a bit lower than actual, but that's speculation. So I'll post both. Keep in mind how much time I spent below the thermocline varied across dives.

VT3. Cobalt.

Dive #1: 74. 77.

Dive #2: 75. 78.

Dive #3: 71. 74.

Dive #4: 73. 77.

Dive #5: 72. 75.

Dive #6: 68. 71.

Dive #7: 71. 74.

Dive #8: 74. 77.

Dive #9: 73. 76.

Dive #10: 74. 77.

You know the adage that a man with one watch always knows what time it is, and a man with two watches never knows quite for sure? Well, a diver with 2 different brand dive computers...

I took a look at Captain Sl8r's website, and it took me awhile to find the page with rental tank options & so forth, but here it is. You can rent steel 100 cf nitrox tanks for $20/apiece, and from I understand they'll have them on the boat waiting for you.

From what I understand there are a number of reputable op.s in the region, so people do have choices.

Richard.

So sorry to hear about your DM experience Lorenzoid. Sadly that can happen with any charter but it should only happen once before the DM is better trained or replaced. Honestly having to follow a DM would ruin most pleasure diving for me as I will stop on one section of the reef/wreck and hang out for as long as I want.

drrich Yes if you rent tanks from Sl8R (New Faber 100 and AL80's) they will be waiting in your seat for you when you get to the boat, same with any other gear you rent. Analyzers on board ready for you to double check the o2 level.

For me Jupiter diving is the big stuff as the depths often don't lend themselves to natural colors one might look for on a "pretty reef".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom