Reflections of our trip to Roatan, Honduras - June 2011 pt 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP types a bunch of words, but really didn't say much.

It's pretty obvious the OP likes to judge the book from the cover, if you will. Could there be a positive reason why Hole in the Wall had a wait? Nahh, everyone just goes there to see a grumpy old castaway who somehow unknowingly named his restaurant the perfect name. Dismissing one of the best dive resorts in the Caribbean because you weren't knowledgable enough to understand that Roatan is mostly English speaking and easily offended by Spanish? Brilliant.

Next time try actually experiencing what you went for before closing your mind on the experience and coming to conclusions.

Sure sounds like someone became very quiet after the post...
And not to mention diving.... REALLY!!!

@RoatanMan - I'm glad you decided to reply after having considered not doing so. I appreciate your insight, especially since you went the neutral route as opposed to resorting to bashing someone else's opinion. Very cool.

You couldn't be more right in saying that you go to Roatan only to dive and that if someone wants more than that, the Windward Antilles would be the place to go. I know there are people reading this who certainly feel the same way and who like to travel to experience culture and do other things than just dive. Unfortunately, I think many people who feel that way are intimidated by most posters here who think it's ridiculous to do anything other than try to make as many dives as possible in a trip. Yes, Roatan is a great place for the people who prefer doing nothing but diving and seeing nothing above water besides your room and the airport.

When we organize trips we do so for people who like to dive but who also like to tour the location, try out lots of local foods, experience local culture, etc. If I have someone who comes in who wants to do nothing but dive, that's the reason we are Aggressor Fleet Dealer #3592. If you don't want a liveaboard, I'd certainly recommend Roatan.

Just realize that there ARE people who want to do more in a place than dive nonstop. Sadly I think those voices get drowned out here when it becomes a contest of who can make the most dives in seven days...

I appreciate the review; especially glad to see negative details that could be real obstacles to some of us, particularly folks like me who love their 'American Shroud' (nice term!), don't speak Spanish, would be horrified at the prospect of participating in a bar fight (especially in a foreign country), don't find getting around unmarked foreign locales an entertaining challenge, and like to sample foreign cultures (e.g.: native foods) without getting lost in them (basic example: I've been to Bonaire 4 times & haven't eaten at Subway or KFC there once; did try goat strew & iguana soup).

If I ever make it out to Roatan, I'm thinking 2 words...ALL INCLUSIVE!!! And maybe 'TAXI.'

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom