Vintage diver pros and cons? Why do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also like the freedom. I generally avoid having a to wear a horsecollar bc. Diving a steel 72 I am able to compensate with lung volume. Since I generally dive with a swimsuit or shorty when diving vintage I would not dive a bc unless the scuba police require it. Low drag=high speed. I forgot how nice it was to dive that rig.

allenwrench:
Thanks for the feedback from both of your replies.

Yes, simplicity is a nice thing. Do the old double hose regs breath the same as out modern regs?

No, they do not. Not worse, just different. You are a lot more conscious of body position with a double hose. If you've never dove a double hose, either find someone who has who can give you pointers, or read one of the excellent vintage books on it, like Robert's "Basic SCUBA." And make sure it is properly serviced.
I personally like the simplicity of the setup. I'm still working out how my main rig will work. I personally like the plastic backpack and harness combo that some dislike. Even most of my single hose regs are "vintage" by today's standards.

Here's what I said about my first vintage double hose dive (just last month): -

OK, so I got sneaky.

Managed to bribe the DM (with multiple beers) into allowing me to do "just one!" dive with the reg and spg. The other dives had to include an octo...so I didn't do them

Anyway, I stripped the wing off the back plate, attached tank and sorted out weighting and controlled bouyancy with my lungs alone. Fantastic it was, too!

Basically the best "free" feeling I've had diving since I started. A real treat! The reg breathed flawlessy to about 100 fsw and was perfectly happy with 3,000 psi. Spent 1hr+ in the water and could have gone on another half hour.

Thanks again for the assistance and advice that made this possible, my only regret was that I forgot to bring my 60's oval mask...

and here's the (best) pic, courtesy of Mike Veitch: -

_MG_3113a.jpg

It's fun. :D

Ninja edit - here's what I wrote to the guy who got me the banjo adaptor: -

Dear Chuck,

Shorty 3mm wetsuit, 4lbs weight, fins, mask, backplate w/ webbing and that’s it. Never even bothered with the wing.

Lovely way to dive. I took the reg to 100fsw without any trouble at all and discovered that I almost never use my inflator hose anyway, so I didn’t miss the wing at all. Using your lungs alone for all buoyancy control really focuses your mind too (I hate smashing coral or touching anything I don’t need to).

Thanks for helping this happen – I’ll be doing a lot more in future…

I might be hooked :)

allenwrench:

Yes, simplicity is a nice thing. Do the old double hose regs breath the same as out modern regs?

If you compare the vintage double hose to the new Mistral, there is no comparision. The new Mistral is horrible. I have 3 double hose regs (2 aqua lung). I would take any 3 over the New Mistral.

justleesa:
oh...Ivory is ok then ?

Would white be ok if it was their 1st vintage dive?

allenwrench:

The better double hose regs do. The position of the reg is critical though. The tank must be worn low on the back so the reg body is between your shoulder blades. Swimming in a slightly heads up position to keep the mouth piece even with the reg body gives the best result.
Purists will cringe, but my favorite combination is one of my double hose regs paired up with my Pro-QD BC. I use old steel '72s with it as these regs only tolerate 2250 psi anyway(most of them) and the steel has much better characteristics then an aluminum 80.
I don't have a banjo fitting, but given the depth, I know how much time I have anyway, so a pressure guage isn't that critical. I also tend to stick to easy dives with them. My deepest so far with a double hose has been 60 fow. For me, diving vintage is about having fun anyway. They are better regs for photography. Especially for taking pictures of fish who do seem to be as intimidated by the bubbles coming out behind your head.
Find someone who owns one and start talking vintage. More likely then not you'll get a chance to try one out. They are a different animal and require different technique. For most of my diving I won't be giving up my Poseidons anytime soon. That being said I'll continue to enjoy my two hosers as long as the parts are available to keep them going.

Jim

Since BC's are not used with vintage setups, are there any problems when diving without BC? What about weights? Do you need a lot less lead with vintage?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom